Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

mkdutch

Jun 2, 2009, 10:09 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4800 views)

Shortcut

Solar System repair(man) needed...

Can't Post | Private Reply
Several years ago, in the midst of a major home remodel, I bought a solar water heating system and stored it. A year later, hired a local plumber to install it. He wasn't familiar with the fragility of the fittings, and over-torqued two of them, causing some damage. One was external and was easily fixed by the sub-distributor who originally sold me the system. The other caused internal damage, rendering the system useless. Pressurized water entering the system just runs out the overflow valve.

The manufacturers representative in Guadalajara has advised there are no authorized repairman/ facilities in the area, and they can only replace the damaged tank(in about two months). Problem is, the price of a new tank is about what I paid for the entire system in the first place. So I'm looking for that famous repairman "that can fix everything". OR maybe there's a retired guy from NOB that is handy and likes to tinker. The solar tank is stainless steel, with an endcap secured by rivets. That part should not be a problem-just drill out the rivets and remove the cap. There is an inner tank, however, that is welded and may be difficult to enter & reseal to effect repairs, as it is of fairly thin material. My hope is that it can be repaired externally after removal from the outside tank. Anybody out there that has (maybe hot-water heater) repair sklls? Want to give it a try before giving up the ghost and buying new (again!). TIA, Dutch

poorslob101

Jun 2, 2009, 9:02 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Solar System repair(man) needed...

hello I am poorslob101, my brother lives in orlando and is well versed in welding stainless or just about any metal, he might be willing to help you out for a fee. let me know if you are interested and I will set it up. He is also well versed in water storage systems. I don't live there yet, but would love to help you out if I can. Email me

arbon

Jun 3, 2009, 8:02 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4718 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"Solar System repair (man) needed"

Personaly I would not take the chance to ask a (man) to repair the "Solar System".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mkdutch

Jun 4, 2009, 6:11 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Solar System repair(man) needed...

Gracias, Arbon. Over the years I have come to respect your postings and the constructive help you have given others. In this case, however, the risk is very small. Ultimately, the tank may have to be replaced so if a repair fails little has been lost. On the other hand, if it can be repaired the cost and my satisfaction with the project will make it worth the while. My experience with Mexican maestros and trabajandos for the past ten years has led me to the belief (and faith) that they can fix just about anything, and with extremely limited resources. So I will continue to try to find a person who may do that with my solar tank.

RickS

Jun 4, 2009, 11:07 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4686 views)

Shortcut

Or, it could be that Arbon has his tongue firmly planted in his cheek...... would not be the first time!!!

mkdutch

Jun 4, 2009, 11:21 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4683 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Solar System repair(man) needed...

The thought crossed my mind...;o)...one of the things I like about many of the posters here (including Arbon) is their sense of humor. But I still wish someone would pull a Genie out of a bottle that could fix this problem....

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4