Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

jaybear

Apr 7, 2009, 5:21 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4233 views)

Shortcut

storing canned goods

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have discovered that my cans of deluxe canned tuna from Costco are going over the hill. Apparently I was wrong to think I could store these on my pantry shelf for months at a time, even when they have a Sept 2011 expiration date. Would someone advise as to whether this is common on this climate (I live in Chapala) and what I should do to keep canned goods? I know it depends somewhat on the type of canned goods. Obviously I do not really need to stockpile anything, as we are a short walk to grocery stores, BUT I like to keep a few things in supply.
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

jreboll

Apr 7, 2009, 6:16 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] storing canned goods

For some reason in the Chapala area metals oxidize easily, plastics become brittle and wood dries out rapidly. This happens even indoors. Acid rain,high UV light? I don't know but I wish someone would explain it to me.

jaybear

Apr 7, 2009, 12:19 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4207 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] storing canned goods

Come to think of it, my giant cheap soup pots are on the same shelf and they oxidize (rust) if I do not keep them polished. Yeah, I know, I need better soup pots. Hmm-I think the problem may be compounded by the fact that the pantry is in the same small room as the clothes washer, which no doubt generates humidity even in dry season. I need to find a different place for the pantry.
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

beachdreamer

Jun 3, 2009, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] storing canned goods

I live along the coast and had problems leaving tin cans in my cabinet. I resolved this problem by purchasing a plastic box with a lid and put them in the box. Since it is air tight, the tins do not rust.
An adventure begins with a dream

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4