Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

richmx2

May 29, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #1 of 13 (8435 views)

Shortcut

Recycling

Can't Post | Private Reply
There's a neighborhood kid's party going on down the street... Besides the usual clowns, hot dogs and tacos you have at such events, the DJ was playing... VILLAGE PEOPLE (Y.M.C.A. to be precise).

Who ever thought the music that's supposed to signal it's time to take off your shirt, line up with the gym bunnies and unleash your inner ecdysiast would be played for CHILDREN. I know Mexico City is where old rock-n-roll bands go to die (Jethro Tull -- who I saw in concert back in 1974, when they actually seemed kinda hip -- played Auditorio Nacional a couple of months ago) but any other examples of cultural recycling -- with a changed nuance -- to mention?

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

morgaine7

May 30, 2009, 11:12 AM

Post #2 of 13 (8390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Recycling

Not sure if this counts, but I've heard my neighbor's kid playing a horrific banda version of Hank Williams' "Jambalaya (On the Bayou)".

Kate

richmx2

May 30, 2009, 12:29 PM

Post #3 of 13 (8378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Recycling

Not quite as bizarre as the banda outside the local parish church last 12-December playing that old classic hymn to the Virgin "In Heaven There Is No Beer". Maybe that's why She puts in occasional appearances here on earth.

But, yeah... that's what I was getting at.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

db52

May 31, 2009, 10:22 AM

Post #4 of 13 (8331 views)

Shortcut

I checked Youtube, because I think I remember hearing a Spanish version of Jambalaya sometime back in the eighties. It turns out that a group called Los Felinos recorded it in 1976 (not bad), but then I found the K-paz hiphop version from 2005 (according to Wikipedia) and it is indeed an abomination!

morgaine7

May 31, 2009, 10:31 AM

Post #5 of 13 (8329 views)

Shortcut

Re: [db52] Recycling

Yup, that's the one (K-Paz)!

Kate

gpkgto

May 31, 2009, 11:41 AM

Post #6 of 13 (8315 views)

Shortcut

YMCA has been a huge--and continuous--hit in Mexico for many years and it has absolutely no gay connotations here. There are radio stations that play only English music--mostly hits from the 70s and 80s.

Marlene

May 31, 2009, 2:44 PM

Post #7 of 13 (8297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Recycling

Hotel California and We Are The Champions (!!) seem to be right up there too. I always thought We Are The Champions was specifically for hockey game victories until I moved to Mexico. :-)

gpkgto

May 31, 2009, 2:59 PM

Post #8 of 13 (8293 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Recycling

I was teaching an Englisg class and all the students wanted to learn the words to Hotel California--they were shocked when they learned how "dark" the song is. They no longer loved it at all.

morgaine7

May 31, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #9 of 13 (8287 views)

Shortcut

A Spanish hip-hop song I do like is Llamada de Emergencia by Daddy Yankee. It sounds upbeat and makes me feel like dancing ... but the video on YouTube is all creepy and full of blood, ick. I'd better look up the lyrics. =:-O

Forgot that I also recently heard a banda version of Estos Celos by Vicente Fernandez. That was painful. And the 13-year-old next door plays Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart", which was long before his time!

Kate

sioux4noff

Jun 3, 2009, 4:49 PM

Post #10 of 13 (8213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Recycling

Total Eclipse of the Heart (in Spanish) I think it is called Eclipse Total de Amor, has been quite popular recently. A couple other songs I hear all the time, including at many kids' parties, is Achey Breaky Heart, and the Electric Slide.

joaquinx

Jun 3, 2009, 5:29 PM

Post #11 of 13 (8207 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I was teaching an Englisg class and all the students wanted to learn the words to Hotel California--they were shocked when they learned how "dark" the song is. They no longer loved it at all.

Talk of "dark". At my last English class graduation, the entire group wanted to sing and did sing, "Bohemian Rhapsody".
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

esperanza

Jun 8, 2009, 7:01 PM

Post #12 of 13 (8102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Recycling

My Way...in Spanish, A Mi Manera...is one of the most popular songs sung in Mexico. You hear it everywhere from the concert stage to a funeral.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

BajaGringo

Jun 8, 2009, 7:41 PM

Post #13 of 13 (8090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Recycling

Lately I have heard many songs that were hits in the late 50's/early 60's sung in Spanish. It is kind of nice to hear them again with a new flavor...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4