Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Ustlach

May 29, 2009, 12:33 PM

Post #1 of 13 (9943 views)

Shortcut

Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does one know, can anyone tell me exactly where I have to go to get my FM2 visa stamped when I leave and then re-enter Mexico in the Km21 to Nogales area along Hwy 15 in Northern Sonora?

Is it in the same building where tourists stop to get their vehicle permits?

I see no signs and nothing else to indicate where this place is.

Thanks.

jb

bournemouth

May 29, 2009, 1:07 PM

Post #2 of 13 (9936 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

At the immigration office on the south bound side of the road at Kl. 21. Always have it open at the right page (salida or entrada) for the official to stamp it. If there is a crowd there, I have found that if I hold the document up, I will be waved forward as they know that a stamp is all that is necessary.

Ustlach

Jun 1, 2009, 3:17 PM

Post #3 of 13 (9904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

There is a building just to the north of where the lanes are that we drive through to get a green light or a red light. Is that the building you mean? Is it marked in anyway, with any particular words, like Inmiigracion, any way to know I am in the right place?

Thanks.

mazbook1

Jun 1, 2009, 3:56 PM

Post #4 of 13 (9899 views)

Shortcut

No, that's not it. You need to pull into the parking lot about 1/2 block BEFORE the aduana lights, get out of your car and go to the building marked Migracíon (or Immigration, I don't remember which). Walking from the parking lot it is BEFORE the open-air building where you get your car permit.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jun 1, 2009, 3:58 PM)

Ustlach

Jun 3, 2009, 12:54 PM

Post #5 of 13 (9857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

OK. That is what I was hoping to hear (read)...that there is a marking or sign on the building that will let me know I am in the right place. I am totally intolerant of the idea of waiting in some line for 20 minutes only to find out it is the wrong place.

I have not seen any such signs going north on the side of the road. I see signs about returning vehicle permits, but nothing about immigration.

Thanks. I will try this.

bournemouth

Jun 3, 2009, 2:33 PM

Post #6 of 13 (9850 views)

Shortcut

Usually the only line you will find will be at the actual car permit windows. There is no indication when you are northbound regarding the immigration office. It is the traveller's obligation to seek out and have their paperwork taken care of. Presumably most people have already been into the immigration office on their way down so know where it it. Surely at some point on the way back from your shopping trips to Tucson, or even when you first started driving down to Hermosillo, you went to the immigration office - no?

You truly are making a mountain out of a little molehill here.

Ustlach

Jun 7, 2009, 4:58 PM

Post #7 of 13 (9806 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

Actually, if I had ever been in the immigration office at Km21 I would know where it is.

I once got a vehicle permit down there in Empalme, when I wanted to spend some time in Alamos, outside the Sonora Hassle Free Zone. And I had it removed at Km21, northbound. But I have never been in any immigration office except the one in Hermosillo where I get my visa renewed.

I get my visa stamped easily and efficiently when I fly out.

A little surprised that you would accuse me of making a mountain out of a molehill over this. I admit, the issue/question is somewhat elevated now, but it was a simple, straightforward question in the beginning. Many things seem simple to people who already know how to do them and can be very hard to understand by those who don't yet know how. I am sure it is this way with finding the immigration office at Km21. If I have never been there before and there are no signs, and crossing that busy highway is apparently part of the solution, I don't think I am being unreasonable trying to pinpoint the location.

A process of elimination sorts of dictates it must be in those buildings that are just to the north of the Pase/Revision lanes, as they seem to be the only buildings in that area where such an office could be located.

I am totally not being difficult or sarcastic or critical here. I am just trying to find out where the damn office is so I don't waste a lot of time looking for it.

Axixic

Jun 9, 2009, 4:45 PM

Post #8 of 13 (9765 views)

Shortcut

With an FM2 don't you have to get permission to leave the country first? I know a Mexican friend of mine said her American husband almost was not allowed to leave Mexico one time because he had an FM2 and didn't get the written permission authorising him to exit Mexico. Maybe it's changed since then.

RickS

Jun 10, 2009, 7:39 AM

Post #9 of 13 (9746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PamelaDelafield] Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

With an FM2 don't you have to get permission to leave the country first?

I'm not saying that this is 'off the wall', but I must say I have never heard of any such requirement.....

Axixic

Jun 10, 2009, 4:06 PM

Post #10 of 13 (9728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

In Reply To
With an FM2 don't you have to get permission to leave the country first?

I'm not saying that this is 'off the wall', but I must say I have never heard of any such requirement.....

Someone PM'd me asking about it and I gave him/her my friend's email address so she can explain what happened. I know it happened a few years ago so maybe the rules have changed or it's entirely possible I wasn't really paying attention when she was telling me about it.

Rolly

Jun 10, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #11 of 13 (9717 views)

Shortcut

An FM2 holder does not have to ask permission to leave the country.

Holders of FM2s and FM3s do have to fill out an exit card and have it stamped by INM at the point of departure, and stamped again at the point of return. This is not a permission slip, it's just transit record.

Rolly Pirate

Marlene / Moderator

Jun 11, 2009, 11:30 AM

Post #12 of 13 (9700 views)

Shortcut

Perhaps her documents were en trámite, and a letter from Immigration was issued to that effect.

Axixic

Jun 11, 2009, 1:13 PM

Post #13 of 13 (9690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Where do I check in/out with my FM2 visa?

She is a Mexican citizen. Her husband was from the U.S. From what I remember, what ever he did, it was something about not having a letter to leave and it really caused them a problem. What is the policy for applying for citizenship? Maybe it wasn't an FM2 but naturalization.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4