Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Babs G

May 19, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2152 views)

Shortcut

Pine Needles

Can't Post | Private Reply
I teach pine needle basketmaking in Xico, Veracruz. So far, we have had enough long leaf pine needles from Florida, where we visit periodically. I am concerned that our product is not "Mexican" and would like to find a source for pine needles in Mexico. These baskets are made in Michoacan; where are the pine needles from? I need to visit there to gather them. Thanks for anything anyone can tell me.

Brigitte Ordoquy

May 19, 2009, 5:39 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Babs G] Pine Needles

Lots of pine needle in Michoacan in the State of Mexico . In San Cristobal de las Casas you can buy them by the costal full at the market as the indigenous use them in the churches as carpet.

Babs G

May 19, 2009, 5:51 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brigitte Ordoquy] Pine Needles

San Cristobal de las Casas is in Chiapas! You can find 15+" pine needles there? If so, I'll go there instead of Michoacan, as it's a lot closer to Coatepec. Thanks!

sparks

May 20, 2009, 5:44 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2097 views)

Shortcut

Lots of pine trees in the western and central mountains but seems to me the needles are more like 4-5 inches

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Brigitte Ordoquy

May 20, 2009, 6:50 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2082 views)

Shortcut

The exact length of the needles I do not know. 15 inches they are not . I will be there sometimes in August I can check the size. The vendors are on a street that leads you to the collectivo to Chamula.- If you are walking on the Andador follow it going north. I think it is called 20th of November. you will get in the area that is around the mercado municipal past a bunch of wooden posts and then you will get to the street where they have lots of hardware stores. You should see the vendors of pine needles and huge wild cymbidium flowers. It is the corner where you find the materials to decorate the churches. If I can remember the name of the street I will tell yoiu.

Another way to go is to follow the street Utrillo past the back of the ex Santo Domingo Convento, past the Municipal Mercado and a couple od blocks later you will see a paint store at the corner. Turn left and you will find the vendors further down. If you cannot find them ask a Chamulan who speaks Spanish. You will recognize the Chamulan by the heavy rustric black wool skirt or wool jacket they wear.

The church in Chamula is covered with pine needles so they can tell you there but you stand more chances of being cheated there. The church in the Barrio del Cerrillo in San Cristóbal also uses pine needles , the encargado is from Chamula so he can help you as well. The church is on Comitan street behind Santo Domingo. Enter the churchyard on the left and you will see a a Chamulan altar outside and usually a bunch of guys hanging out. Ask them for the encargado.

San Cristobal de Las Casas is about 7 hours from Fortin de las Flores and once you drive through the incredible green mountains on the cuota from Minatitlan to Tuxtla Gutierrez you´ll never want to die and leave that.

(This post was edited by Brigitte Ordoquy on May 20, 2009, 8:22 AM)

Babs G

May 20, 2009, 7:23 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2073 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brigitte Ordoquy] Pine Needles

Thank for your detailed reply. I have been as far as Ococingo, but never to San Cristobal de las Casas, so the information is very welcome. I have a friend who will be going there in a few weeks, though, and will ask her to check for me. If she decides to stay for a while, we might go visit her there.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4