Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

La Isla

Jun 13, 2013, 8:03 PM

Post #51 of 64 (1129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Another Graduation Day.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Wonderful stories, Rolly. Young people like Misa and Alex hold the promise of a better Mexico in their hands.

robt65

Jun 13, 2013, 10:59 PM

Post #52 of 64 (1103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] An update on my English students

Excellent end to a stage in life for these youngsters (well not ay more, apparently they have grown in life quite a bit now) and their mentor. As others have said ,you have to be proud, what a legacy. I especially like the part of Alex defending his thesis . . . . . not only once (for his grades and completion of his degree), but apparently several times. Bravo to him and to you.

Regards
Robt65

donemry

Jun 14, 2013, 6:58 AM

Post #53 of 64 (1079 views)

Shortcut

I am always happy to see your stories and hear good news. The constant posts on immigration rules have become tiresome.

Oscar2

Jun 14, 2013, 1:56 PM

Post #54 of 64 (1032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Another Graduation Day.

Agreement is easy, especially when a good story touches us in ways needed on this forum. Rolly is a tough olídog with sentiments rooted in giving in his own way which can make a real difference in many lives. Itís good to hear when once in awhile the pendulum of life swings over far enough where you canít help but hear goodness ring the air.

Like your stories Rolly, Iím sure there are more from where those came from. Congrats to those close to you and more important keep kicking and stay as healthy as we can, youíve always been well needed and appreciated in this here.....your neighborhood.

Grieger-Lods

Jun 14, 2013, 7:02 PM

Post #55 of 64 (1004 views)

Shortcut

Congrats, Rolly!! I am sure you are bursting with pride!!

Rolly

Dec 1, 2013, 12:38 PM

Post #56 of 64 (561 views)

Shortcut

Re: More Good News

Time for another update on my guys.

Nery, who is happily employed in the IT department at CFE, has just completed his course work for a Master's degree. He'll take his orals in January. His theses is almost finished and will be will be ready to hand in before his orals. As soon as his Master's papers are complete, he plans to enroll in a PhD program at the same night school. That program will take two and half years.

His Master's will give him a promotion at CFE, and a PhD will make for a major advance.

Dr Misa continues with his internship at the local IMSS hospital.

Alex is still waiting for his college to get their act together, so he can take his orals and get his doctor's degree. He already has a couple of good job offers, including one in the USA.

All three of the guys are reasonably bi-lingual, and soon each will have a doctorate. Pretty damn good!

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 1, 2013, 1:45 PM)

Rolly

Dec 1, 2013, 1:05 PM

Post #57 of 64 (544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] More Good News

An interesting side note.

I was surprised (dismayed?) when Nery said the last class was how to hack.

Rolly Pirate

Aaron+

Dec 2, 2013, 10:34 AM

Post #58 of 64 (462 views)

Shortcut

Congratulations are due to your boys and you!

As for the IT hacking course Nery had, perhaps that should be looked at as a positive, that an IT expert would need to know how hackers could penetrate IT security in order to begin to know how to defend a corporation's data.

TedZar

Dec 2, 2013, 12:29 PM

Post #59 of 64 (443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] More Good News

I agree. The best defense requires having some idea as to what the offense is going to do.

Rolly

Dec 13, 2013, 1:20 PM

Post #60 of 64 (379 views)

Shortcut

At long last Alex was able to get his oral exam. He passed and is now a Veterinarian -- and a very happy camper.

Rolly Pirate

tonyburton / Moderator

Dec 13, 2013, 1:48 PM

Post #61 of 64 (373 views)

Shortcut

Congratulations to Alex, and to you!!

RickS

Dec 13, 2013, 3:06 PM

Post #62 of 64 (356 views)

Shortcut

Good for Alex. Congratulation 'Grampa'!

Rolly

Dec 13, 2013, 6:16 PM

Post #63 of 64 (330 views)

Shortcut

Dr Alex came by and told me the details of his oral exam. He began by presenting a PowerPoint review of his thesis. Then he answered questions from the three testers. He not only passed but made such an impression that two of the professors called his father (who is also a veterinarian) to compliment him on Alex's performance.

As soon as his license arrives, he expects to accept a job offer of a year in the USA. Apearently there is such a shortage on Vets in the USA that companies are recruiting in Mťxico. He knows that it will be mostly dairy work as an inseminator, but it will also be an adventure in the USA.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 13, 2013, 6:33 PM)

chinagringo

Dec 13, 2013, 6:31 PM

Post #64 of 64 (322 views)

Shortcut

While I have been fully retired for a number of years, I recently took on a job picking up Veterinary lab samples in Santa Fe and Albuquerque on a part time basis about four days a month. Big deal, it is easy work and as long as one doesn't "get attached", one can be settled.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4