Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

La Isla

May 7, 2009, 4:40 PM

Post #76 of 85 (7199 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Great recipe, BajaGringo, and the photo makes me want to invite myself over for dinner - too bad I live so far away! I'm going to try your recipe one of these days, though I guess I"ll have to devise my own "secret sauce". I think one of the ingredients will be horseradish (yum!).

brooklyn

May 7, 2009, 8:16 PM

Post #77 of 85 (7174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Hound Dog, I've got a few additional items for your list -

A plate of Singapore noodles with just the right amopunt of curry

A plate of Tunisian couscous with a few spicy merguez sausages

Caribbean Chinese chow mein

A big bowl of tekka-don (fresh maguro, plenty of wasabi)

Hiroshima style okonomi

South Indian stringhoppers

Northern Italian polenta (or Romanian mamaliga, just about the same thing - my grandparents were born in Transylvania, so this is comfort food for me)

Portuguese pork and clams

etc. etc.

But then, where else could I retire? Most places with a decent food selection seem to feature monthly rentals or mortgage payments on about the same level as what you used to pay for a new car.

Hound Dog

May 8, 2009, 6:09 AM

Post #78 of 85 (7135 views)

Shortcut

Re: [brooklyn] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Thank you brooklyn and welcome to Lakeside. Excellent list. My wife´s ex (I hope) boyfriend is a physician from Tunis who lives in Paris and makes the best Tunisian style fish cous cous imaginable. That boy has magic hands when it comes to cooking and I therefore forgive him his indiscretions in the romance department at an earlier time. When I eat his cous cous sometimes I wonder if they allow same-sex marriage in France (which I´m sure they do since the French believe in live-and-let-live).

No matter how much fun I have in France, I am always pleased to get back to Mexico whether the lake or the Chiapas Highlands or Oaxaca or countless other places in this great country . I can bring essential ingredients back to Mexico from France for cooking all sorts of exotic foods but I cannot carry this marvelous climate or splendid culture to France in a handbag so here I am to stay until the final bell.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on May 8, 2009, 6:12 AM)

husker

May 8, 2009, 6:32 AM

Post #79 of 85 (7127 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
SNOBS

Hound Dog

May 8, 2009, 7:49 AM

Post #80 of 85 (7115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
I am not sure if I come even close to the whopper secret recipe but I do get lots of folks who rave over my burgers, gringos and amigos.
I season the hamburger meat with salt, pepper, onion salt and garlic salt. I sprinkle in a small amount of fine, dried onion flakes and mix it all together well. I leave it in the fridge over night before cooking them on a very hot grill.
The other "secrets" to my burgers are to toast the buns on the grill with a bit of butter and use my secret sauce as a spread. Now THAT, will remain a secret...

That sounds really good Baja. Especially the dried onion flakes.Leaving out the secret sauce rescipe was a dirty trick however.

Here is another idea which is a burger featured by an Armenian restaurant (Rustigan´s) in Fresno back in the 1970s. They are now out of business but Fresno still has a large Armenian population so maybe someone is still selling these:

ARMENIAN BURGER
Freshly ground lamb shoulder
Good quality large hamburger buns
Lots of garlic
Parsley
Red onions
Butter
Freshly coarse ground black pepper
Mayo or aioli (homemade garlic mayo) - optional
Salt to taste

Mix the lamb meat with the smashed garlic, finely diced parsley and coarsely ground black pepper
Toast the buns with butter over the charcoal
Grill the meat over very hot charcoal and serve rare to medium rare
Place grilled meat and red onions in between the buns so that the buns and onions soak up the juice
Serve with mayo or aioli if desired

If you, as Husker, found it hard to give up "SNOBS" when you moved to Mexico, simply move to San Miguel d´Allende and cook these Armenian burgers on the sidewalk. You should attract as many "SNOBS" as there are burgers to consume.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on May 8, 2009, 11:25 AM)

Gringal

May 8, 2009, 9:33 AM

Post #81 of 85 (7084 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Just hush and pass me a SNOBBURGER. I've done some time on business in Fresno. Bless the Armenian food.

There are no decent burgers in San Miguel. There is an exceedingly popular McDonald's up in the new shopping center. And you think Lakeside is provincial??

Bon Voyage. Hope you find that little restaurant in downtown Paree where the steak is almost twitching and the sauce says "heaven can wait". Also, the outstanding Thai place in the Red Light district. Tee hee. Hasta Luego.

And cheer up. It doesn't matter where you live...as long as you live.

jennifer rose

May 8, 2009, 9:54 AM

Post #82 of 85 (7080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

|
Let's take the food discussion over to the Mexican Kitchen. Or risk The Lock.

Gringal

May 8, 2009, 10:15 AM

Post #83 of 85 (7076 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
You're absolutely right, Jennifer. We has been BAD.

"but ma, he did it FIRST". lol.

Hard things to give up....legion. But usually, we adapt. We find friends who will shop in the states and bring us the things we think we can't live without, if we can't go ourselves. High thread count sheets, egg poachers, favorite clothing brands. Bless them. It's not that we can't live without our favorite things. There's not a single item I can think of that I can't do without or substitute something else that is available.

The hardest thing to give up is, finally, people. Our friends; our family members who we don't see much of any longer. Then there are Places. I miss crossing the Golden Gate Bridge; the ride along the Big Sur Coast; the harbor near my old home. There are now new friends and new places. The odd thing is that, if we went back to the states, we'd miss those people and places terribly, too.
I'd ALMOST miss the vicious cobblestones. Almost.

Hound Dog

May 8, 2009, 11:59 AM

Post #84 of 85 (7060 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Just hush and pass me a SNOBBURGER. I've done some time on business in Fresno. Bless the Armenian food.

Gringal:

Well put.

Of course, Jennifer is right about threads going astray but where-else but MexConnect can one sign on for information about Mexico and unexpectedly find pearls exalting Armenian food. Whoever in the United States, outside of California´s Central Valley where Jud (Henry Fonda) and Ma and Pa were told to head back to Oklahoma, could appreciate the arrival in the butt-ugly farming town of Fresno more than the Juds and then to discover Armenian food in Fresno or Basque food in Bakersfield or Portuguese food in Half Moon Bay or Mexican food in the isolated coastal towns of the Central California Coast or Greek food in the substantial Greek colony Dawg lived in along Mobile Bay in Alabama and on and on.

It seems to me that this should be a learning experience.

How many of you readers know, for instance, that Tapachula and Tonalá on the Chiapas coast are noted for their Chinese restaurants? How many of you know the nuances that created the Spanish/Indigenous blend of cuisines that resulted in the unique food of Teopisca in the Chiapas Highlands?

Keep an open mind and live a better life.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on May 8, 2009, 12:24 PM)

Hound Dog

May 8, 2009, 12:49 PM

Post #85 of 85 (7047 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

We Welcome you once again to your rightful chair in the back row along with the other reprobates Gringal. Please have spitballs for Professor Hartley at the ready the minute she tries to lock down the class. Troy State Teacher´s College indeed.

As I may have previously stated, the only real thing that one can regret having given up upon moving to Mexico is Krystal Sliders. Some may contend that Moon Pies are important as well but in my experience, most Mexican pan dulce is a variation of the dreaded Moon Pie so subtitute, pea brains, and drink horchata and eat the dreadful atole until you can no longer even look at a bowl of that inedible and disgusting porridge even a swine would pass up if given the choice.

GodAlmighty already!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4