Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

mzdaisy

Apr 23, 2009, 8:43 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4558 views)

Shortcut

Georgia you are Awesome

Can't Post | Private Reply
Georgia you are Awesome!

I have enjoyed reading your posts and they are so informative. I know I will be picking your brain often as I slowly work into trying to do business to my best advantage.

10 kids! I am not worthy! I have 4 and 7 Granchildren. I am young Grandmother of 46. I was a single parent for years and now that the kids are grown I am trying to get a life. For so long it was just us but one day I found myself working like a dog, coming home, eating, going to my room and everday the same as the kids all got their own lives. I got so sick of it I turned my house over to my daughter along with payments and came to visit my family in Mexico. I did not want to go back.

Now I am here Georgia, and not sure what to do with my life here but I love it and I am searching diligently for a way to do business for myself that wonŽt put me back where I was in US. Also I will need your expert advice once I do find what it is I will be doing regarding taxes. Right now, I have been just using my address in Michigan and paying taxes as norm. I donŽt even know the first thing about how I should be filing taxes in regards to living here now. but I go to Michigan regularly and I still make money in Michigan but I need any advice you can give me to save me time and money.

Go Georgia!

Go Georgia!

Georgia

May 1, 2009, 12:34 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mzdaisy] Georgia you are Awesome

In general (and much depends on your own state's tax law - so use your MI tax advisor) when you move out of the US you (a) continue to vote in the same district where you last resided in the US (b) if your state has income tax and you are receiving income from certain types of income in the state you left, you still have to file state income taxes, but normally as a non resident. Any taxes you pay in Mexico are deductible from your US taxes, including IVA. You are permitted to earn a certain amount (which may have changed under the current tax code - it's regularly updated) in a foreign country without it being taxed in the US. Again, check with your MI tax advisor. If you are not a Mexican citizen or imigrado you have to have permission to work in Mexico and you will have to pay taxes on your earnings in Mexico. See a Mexican accountant for more information on that.

Hound Dog

May 1, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Georgia you are Awesome

God, Georgia, I am impressed. Here is rustic El Chante in suburban Eastern Jocotepec and words of wisdom regarding complicated tax issues in a foreign land spring forth from a place one expects to see Henry Fonda having just crossed the San Joaquin County line and having been told his Oakie/Arkie kind are not welcome there and earnestly proclaiming to Maw and Paw that whereever there are the downtrodden and forgotten poverty stricken goobers he will be there for them but then I remembered that Maw and Paw had no income only outgo and a Sears $15 sofa and 400 Moon Pies in the back of their truck so Bubba became confused and began to hallucinate and so here is my question. If the California Franchise Tax Board comes after me for not paying California income tax since I no longer live there, will they accept Moon Pie instalments over ten years in lieu of actual pesos up front?

Georgia

May 1, 2009, 4:20 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4441 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Georgia you are Awesome

Dearest Hound Dog,
I think all you need to do is send them a copy of your Ma and Pa Kettle post and they will not bother you. I (as you may recall) used to prosecute tax avoiders for the tax department in my state. I certainly wouldn't have touched your case with a ten foot boa constrictor. That being said, it is very difficult to disentangle oneself from prior taxing authorities if you are still receiving any kind of income from a source in that jurisdiction.

Hound Dog

May 1, 2009, 4:25 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Georgia you are Awesome

Thank you, Georgia. You are an amusing person. IŽll now stop worrying now about the State of California and "The Terminator".

Georgia

May 1, 2009, 4:31 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4435 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Georgia you are Awesome

Oh, and I forgot to mention: el Chante is no longer rustic. 1200 itsy bitsy weekend homes are being constructed on the carretera ... right next to the sewage treatment plant. How appropriate.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4