Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

nancyyy158

Apr 28, 2009, 7:16 AM

Post #1 of 6 (7085 views)

Shortcut

eating fish from the lake

Can't Post | Private Reply
  Just wondering what type of fish are in the lake and also can one fish their and do they need a fishing permit? Do the mountains have any snakes?

njy

Hound Dog

Apr 28, 2009, 9:33 AM

Post #2 of 6 (7062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nancyyy158] eating fish from the lake

Just wondering what type of fish are in the lake and also can one fish their and do they need a fishing permit? Do the mountains have any snakes?

Carp, catfish and other glow-in-the-dark sea monsters that stink to high heaven and if you eat enough of them you won´t need that reflector light on your bicycle any more at night on your way to the hospital.

Fishing permit? What´s that?

Yes they have snakes in the mountains but most of them live in Chula Vista.

JUST KIDDING NANCY.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 28, 2009, 9:34 AM)

nancyyy158

Apr 28, 2009, 9:46 AM

Post #3 of 6 (7056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] eating fish from the lake

Okey you answered my question and I had to laugh,about that glowing. What kinds of fish, I heard bass and some white fish but who knows. I guess it was a crazy question, but coming from Vegas one has to ask. We were planning to come down their in June but with the flu going on who knows. I hope everyone is well down their and not coughing to much. I the forums are great. Thanks again for your answer.

Njy

RickS

Apr 28, 2009, 10:17 AM

Post #4 of 6 (7034 views)

Shortcut

Nancy, Lake Chapala and other Mexican lakes (but not all) are unlike our lakes NOB. They aren't stocked with 'sport' fish such as bass, crappie and trout. The lake is really not used for pleasure fishing. The Mexicans do fish, mostly with nets, for charales which are minnow-like fish that are cooked (fried) whole and sold in little paper dishes much like a small order of french fries in the States. There is a larger pan fish that is caught and sold but I don't believe this is the traditional white fish for which the Lake used to be renowed. They are probably talapia. I think the pescado blanco that are served in restaurants are farm-raised.

There are 'some' lakes (two to my knowledge) that are within 150 miles of Lake Chapala that do produce bass and other fish like we are accustomed to seeing in our lakes NOB. And along the US border there are a couple of 'famous' lakes that are producers of lunker 'Florida-type' bass, but that's another story.

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 28, 2009, 10:19 AM)

BrentB

Apr 28, 2009, 7:32 PM

Post #5 of 6 (6986 views)

Shortcut

As posted, there are no licenses that I am aware of, even for what is left of the "commercial" fishermen. Charrales are good. especially with hot sauce and beer. They don't absorb so much pollutants. Few whitefish left, there are carp, catfish.
Tilapia is an African fish, introduced to MX years ago and has done well, especially in fish farms
There are crustaceans too.Locals use nets, but for fun rods and reels are better.
If you worry (and should) about contaminated fish, catch and release.

brent

gbatrucks

Apr 28, 2009, 10:53 PM

Post #6 of 6 (6965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BrentB] eating fish from the lake

"Charrales are good. especially with hot sauce and beer."...Hmmm....My late friend Tom Sandiland of Tom's bar-B-Q in Jocotepec and I once visited a fish joint on the south shore and they provided us with a bowl of these for snackies. I asked Tom if he had ever tried them and he told me in his thirty plus years here he had not. We decided to be brave...an unwise decision. One bite and we were both diving for the limes and beer. IMHO you can live a rich and full life without ever letting these nasty critters cross your lips. Their is great Marlin fishing about 5 hours away.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

(This post was edited by gbatrucks on Apr 28, 2009, 10:55 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4