Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

LRW

Apr 26, 2009, 7:01 PM

Post #1 of 9 (7566 views)

Shortcut

Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

Can't Post | Private Reply
In 2005 we spent some time in San Miguel. Our host took us a little outside of San Miguel to see an elderly man's pottery. He was not there (we met his wife) but we were told he at that time was in his 80's...yet he dug his own clay, etc. His work was wonderful and very primitive. We purchased several pieces and they are signed only with the initials E.V.

I am wondering if anybody might know the name of this clay artist.
Thank you,
Liane

Hound Dog

Apr 27, 2009, 6:20 PM

Post #2 of 9 (7523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LRW] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

Esteban Valdez. I have a lot of his dishes, they are fun. Some of his pots are in the Smithsonian.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 27, 2009, 6:22 PM)

LRW

Apr 27, 2009, 8:22 PM

Post #3 of 9 (7504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

Thank you so very much for this info. I do recall someone saying his work was in the Smithsonian, but I never had a name to follow up on. We have a bowl of his with a bird design and a fish...and the word 'lagarsa' . I've never been able to figure out what that means and that word is not in a Spanish Dictionary.
Any ideas?

Liane

Brigitte Ordoquy

Apr 28, 2009, 5:48 AM

Post #4 of 9 (7488 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LRW] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

I would say "get lost"..A lot of his plates have spelling mistakes and little sayings . Don Esteban was still alive 3 years ago. He is very vigorous and I hope he still makes the plates. He is helped by his daughter. He takes long walks so it is sometimes tough to find him at home.

jreboll

Apr 28, 2009, 12:54 PM

Post #5 of 9 (7458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brigitte Ordoquy] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

"garsa" or "garza?" is a bird that looks like an egret. Someone who knows about birds would better tell you than I can.

esperanza

Apr 28, 2009, 1:28 PM

Post #6 of 9 (7450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

And 'largarto' is a fish from Tabasco...

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jreboll

Apr 28, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #7 of 9 (7446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

There is a very popular bingo-like game in Mexico called "loteria" or "la chalupa." It uses cards with images on them instead of numbers and letters. One of these images is that of a heron with a fish in its beak. The label on it is "La Garza"

Hound Dog

Apr 28, 2009, 5:36 PM

Post #8 of 9 (7425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

I have a dozen of his plates and they have strange things on them always mispelled one says elansiano and shows an old man, the other has a dog biting a woman and says pero mula so you have to use your imagination...
It also would be something the way he would hear it or say it and would be spelled phonetically. Would not be the name of the fish as he would have no idea.
He knows about garza and unless they call the garzas largasa it would not be it.

Why don t you go and have a visit with him , his wife or daughter and ask them. He lives in a rancho by the reservoir. Going away from the reservoir , you pass a gated community then pass some cement or brick factory then you will see the steeple of a chuch on the other side of the railroad tracks in the far distance.There is a dirt road that will take you to the little village, ask for Don Estaban at the little store there and they will tell you where to find him. His house is a few houses away in the school direction.
If I remember correctly I paid between 20 and 50 pesos for the plates and may be 80 for the platter.

Just rereading the post I think the person who said la garza is correct , I had read largasa but since it says lagarsa it is La Garza for sure! the garza is the white type egret you see on the lakes so since the plate has an egret and a fish, it is the name of the bird.
I have one plate that had the correct spelling on it el pavo and he did not intend to put el cunejo under the rabbit. Go and meet the family theey are great!

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 28, 2009, 5:41 PM)

LRW

May 13, 2009, 10:27 PM

Post #9 of 9 (7337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Who is E.V., potter in San Miguel..?

Thanks to all of you for your input. I would love to meet him, however my winters are spent in Baja and although I am heading to Oaxaca next winter, won't get back to San Miguel. The card game mentioning 'la garsa' is exactly what he is trying to replicate...only the egret hasn't caught the fish in his mouth....

Great sense of humor...

Liane

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4