Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

cbeltran57

Mar 11, 2009, 5:35 PM

Post #1 of 12 (9800 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Matzatlan in 1 yr

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm a boomer going to school for my next career. (lol) Project Management in Landscaping. I am hoping to find work with a Resort Developer, but need warmer weather for the Arthritis from my neck to hips. I am a very active woman/child, and love the outdoors. I am divorced of 26+years, and need a new life. I have vacationed in Mexico for the past 20 years, and believe it or not, I have never been to Matzatlán. I currently live up in the Seattle area (Everett) and I am looking forward to taking a break from school in the Fall, so I can check things out. It's either La Paz or Matzatlán. With La Paz being on fire right now, business wise, I am thinking more along the Matzalán area. As long as I can catch the Ferry to the desert I'd be happy.
I am looking to meet some people to get acquainted with so when I come down to visit, I will have some people to get more acquainted with and party a little. My last career was in Landscaping for 4.5 years until the arthritis hit. Then, it was back to school. All of this is preceded by a 25+ year career in Mortgage Lending. Ugh!
That's my story, and I'm stick'n to it! I would love to hear from anyone and everyone who is living in Matzatlán. My main concern is the cost of living and renting. So, I could use alot of input. Since being in school, I have pared down considerably and got rid of the business suits and the bmr. I would love to hear from you all!
Regards,
Cheryl Beltrán

Willie1

Mar 11, 2009, 6:24 PM

Post #2 of 12 (9784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbeltran57] Moving to Matzatlan in 1 yr

Cheryl,

Take a look at the following 2 forums, specifically about Mazatlan:

mazinfo.com

whatsupmaz.com

I think you will find a wealth of information there that may be of interest/help to you. We have loved living in Mazatlan for over 10 yrs!

cbeltran57

Mar 11, 2009, 8:45 PM

Post #3 of 12 (9758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Willie1] Moving to Matzatlan in 1 yr

Thanks for such a quick reply, Willie!
How is the cost of living, in Mazatlán? I will check out your referrals. Thanks so much!

Willie1

Mar 12, 2009, 7:53 AM

Post #4 of 12 (9732 views)

Shortcut

Like anywhere else, your cost of living will greatly depend on how you like to live. We used to know a lady that lived here on $700 CAD per month, and that covered her rent too and she still had enough for the occasional cerveza. There are a lot of things to participate in here and a lot of fund raising that goes on - you can choose to involve yourself or not. There are also a lot of opportunities to volunteer - library, schools, etc.

The cost of eating out has gone up recently, as have the costs of foodstuffs in the stores. But you can choose to do without the "convenience" foods that we got used to NOB.

Just be willing to be flexible!!!

DavidMcL

Mar 12, 2009, 9:51 AM

Post #5 of 12 (9725 views)

Shortcut

Willie1 - While I appreciate your posting in response the question, we are trying to develop a worthy forum here and rather than just refer folks to other sites, please also take the time to provide a quality response.
The forums you referred to are useful. It will be very helpful for folks to also find this forum useful for things related to the Forums' focus - The North Pacific Region including cities such as Maz!

Thanks for understanding.

David
David McL
WebJefe

Willie1

Mar 12, 2009, 8:23 PM

Post #6 of 12 (9679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Moving to Matzatlan in 1 yr

David,

No offense intended, only trying to help where nothing else was offered.....I have been touting this forum to everyone that I know here in Mazatlan, in hopes that they will jump on and participate as well. Not sure what you mean by a "quality response.....

Will be more careful in the future!

DavidMcL

Mar 12, 2009, 9:20 PM

Post #7 of 12 (9667 views)

Shortcut

Appreciated!
Quality response can be found more clearly comparing your first posting with your second one to the original poster! The second one contribute more than just the links - combine them both and - bingo! - only as an example - :)
You are doing just fine.

David
David McL
WebJefe

Jetski

Mar 19, 2009, 1:54 PM

Post #8 of 12 (9460 views)

Shortcut

Here's an interesting blog about moving to Mazatlan starting from about 2 years ago;

http://www.mexscape.net/index.html

Speaking Spanish helps but isn't essential, but with a last name of Beltrán you should fit in OK. :)

La Paz has nicer beaches if that's a consideration, but Maz is more accessible to NOB if you'd like to

drive north every once in awhile or want to bring your own vehicle. That Baja drive can be hell.

cbeltran57

Mar 19, 2009, 2:29 PM

Post #9 of 12 (9456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jetski] Moving to Matzatlan in 1 yr

HI Jeski!
Thanks for your reply. Yes, actually I am Spanish, and my Grandparents were both born in Barcelona, Spain. I have been vacationing in Mexico for the past 20 years. Although it's about the only time I speak Spanish, between the airport and my destination hotel, it really starts coming back to me, and then each time I visit I pick up more spanish. Usually the drivers have the salsa music going when I leave the airport, and within minutes my shoulders start swaying, so by the time I reach the hotel, I am in the swing of things and ready for my first Margarita!
My first choice was La Paz, since I have been in Landscaping, (5yrs) I was hoping to hook up with a Resort Developer. I am currently in school taking Project Management, but I also have a Certificate in Logistics Management. I loved La Paz, because it was the first time I had been to a more commerce oriented mexican city. It was very clean and it looked like most everyone was prospering. Maz was my second choice, because I was concerned about the cost of living. I have vacationed in Cabo several times, La Paz, Acapulco and Puerta Vallarta.
I am a "boomer" and single w/o children, so I am looking for a perspective from singles. Of course any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Regards,

ktchrkb

Apr 25, 2009, 12:08 PM

Post #10 of 12 (9033 views)

Shortcut

I would highly recommend that you come to Mazatlan and check it out prior to making any decision. Before my husband and I decided on Mazatlan, we visited at least 6 other areas in Mexico before making a choice. Come and talk to the Canadians and Americans who live here, check out the area, view real estate, do some shopping, etc. to see if Mazatlan is a fit for you. We meet on Fridays from 4-6 at Canucks and Sundays 4-6 at Las Flores. Hope to see you soon.
Kimberly

Marlene / Moderator

Apr 25, 2009, 11:11 PM

Post #11 of 12 (9006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ktchrkb] Moving to Mazatlan in 1 yr

Welcome Kimberly! Great advice.

carolynpatten

Apr 26, 2009, 1:15 PM

Post #12 of 12 (8978 views)

Shortcut

Cheryl -- I too am seriously considering a move to Mazatlan. I hadn't been there in almost 40 years when I started hearing lots of wonderful things about the centro historico, the lovely weather (though hellish humidity in summer), the low cost of living, the friendly people, etc. I went for a two-week visit in December and had spent about six months researching, from looking at stuff on the net to talking to people here in Portland who spend half the year there.
My first impression was -- omigod, there is graffiti everywhere and a lot of chaotic, dirty stuff on the way from the airport into town. The first day on the beach I was greeted by a little street dog, dead as can be. And yet...the people I had made contact with before I came down were absolutely wonderful, eager to introduce me around and tell me about their lives. I have never been a convenience food person, so can't speak to the cost of NOB stuff, but lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, good meats, etc. The public market is great early in the morning, a crazyland by noon. A couple of gigantic food-etc. stores round out food shopping.
The almost complete lack of pretension is wonderful, though you can certainly find a bit of that in the gated communities. In the expat community it seems as if you are much more than what you have, what you wear, etc. There is a strong volunteer ethic and lots of good things being done at the orphanages, animal shelter, wildlife refuge, and in the poor neighborhoods. Because most expats are retired, they have a lot of time to get involved with the community.
Health care is excellent and inexpensive. Be sure to get recommendations from local, though. Housing is super-cheapl compared to other beach locations. You can rent a lovely one-bedroom furnished for around $500, or go all the way up the scale to a 2-3-bedroom in a gated place for around $1200.
The centro historico is without doubt the very best place to get the feel for Mazatlan, and it has very little graffiti! I'll be spending a couple of months there this winter, and getting more of a feel for what it would be like to live there. At first, I was determined to buy a place right away, but fortunately the economy has made it a bad move to sell my Portland house right now. Fortunately, because I have realized that Mexico has so many wonderful places, I might spend a year or two just moving around and investigating.
If you want to read an article I just did on Maz, and published in The Oregonian, check out this link:
http://www.oregonlive.com/northwest-life/index.ssf/international-travel/
Good luck on your search!

In Reply To

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4