Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

steve2709564

Apr 24, 2009, 1:02 PM

Post #1 of 29 (6656 views)

Shortcut

SWINE FLU

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been reading about the schools closing in mexico city. nowhere do they say what part of the country it originated in, anyone know?

La Isla

Apr 24, 2009, 1:23 PM

Post #2 of 29 (6631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve2709564] SWINE FLU

Things are getting a bit hairy here in the D.F. Since I work mostly out of my home, I don't have to brave the crowds on a daily basis, so I'm sticking to my relatively quiet neighborhood for a while. Though some people have taken to wearing face masks, I think I'll just stay out of crowds and wash my hands a lot. And, steve, to answer your question, I haven't read anything definite about where the flu (actually a swine-avian-human flu) originated. I did read that the Mexican government was first alerted to its presence when a Canadian vacationing at a Mexican beach resort returned home with a bad case of this flu and was hospitalized.

Bethie

Apr 24, 2009, 2:00 PM

Post #3 of 29 (6622 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] SWINE FLU

If you go to the CDC website, they held a press conference today. 8 cases reported in the US now. Most news agencies on line and reporting on it.
Bethie

Rolly

Apr 24, 2009, 3:07 PM

Post #4 of 29 (6604 views)

Shortcut

More information here.

And here.

And here in Spanish. Free registration required.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Apr 24, 2009, 3:33 PM

Post #5 of 29 (6594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] SWINE FLU

And more here.

Rolly Pirate

raferguson

Apr 24, 2009, 6:11 PM

Post #6 of 29 (6561 views)

Shortcut

Here is what I got from El Universal from Mexico City, as well as El Diario de Yucatan from Merida in the Yucatan.

1004 cases. 68 deaths, 20 confirmed to be flu. Centered in Mexico City, with 20 million people. Schools, theaters, museums, and libraries are closed. This is the first time that schools in Mexico City have been closed since the 1985 earthquake. They have stopped a vaccination program because it has been shown not to be effective. The will use antivirals, but the pharmacies are reported to be running out. The cost of the antivirals is significant, especially to people who are not middle class or higher. The public hospitals will give them out as needed for free. Most of the affected people are 20 to 40 years old.

Other cases are reported in San Luis Potosi and Mexicalli, as well as southern california and San Antonio Texas.

I did not notice any of this in yesterday's newspaper; I look at one or two Mexican newspapers every day. Not sure if it was being covered up, or just not on the front page. I looked at this morning's Diario de Yucatan, and I saw a small note at the bottom of the page, mentioning the closure of schools, so I think that this was very low key until last night or today.

Interesting to me that I heard nothing before my noon meeting, at which it came up, but then was told by somebody from Zacatecas and heard it on NPR. So this is a breaking story.......

Pandemic flu is one of the disasters that emergency services people plan for, but I don't have a clear idea how good or bad their plans are in the US, or in Mexico. My boss went to a pandemic flu class in the last week, so I know that planning is taking place.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

ken_in_dfw

Apr 24, 2009, 6:34 PM

Post #7 of 29 (6554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] SWINE FLU

Can't Post |
One of the most up-to-date places to get information is the Flu Wiki forum. Keep in mind that it is a wiki - so self-policing and prone to errors when content is first posted. But that's also its strength - first to post the latest information.

Bethie

Apr 24, 2009, 7:36 PM

Post #8 of 29 (6539 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kenhjr] SWINE FLU

Here NOB there was nothing on the news all day. My mother knew nothing about it until this evening when it was on the news even though it was on the computer all day at various sites.

Bethie

Apr 24, 2009, 7:38 PM

Post #9 of 29 (6538 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] SWINE FLU

PS Rolly - Hubby thanks you for posting the site that is in spanish.

raferguson

Apr 24, 2009, 7:46 PM

Post #10 of 29 (6533 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] SWINE FLU - possible Canada/Mexico link

El Universal reports that it was Canadian health officials who first reported the outbreak of swine flu to the Mexican authorities. A Canadian who visited Mexico is reported to have come back with swine flu. They did not reveal which part of Mexico the Canadian visited.

Per the Ottawa Citizen,

a Cornwall, Ont., man who returned from Mexico with a mysterious illness is believed to be one of a handful of people in Ontario who may be linked to the respiratory ailment, provincial officials say.

Guy Simard, 47, was airlifted to an Ottawa hospital in late March and admitted into the hospital's intensive care unit, a hospital official said Thursday. Simard spent 11 nights in hospital before being released April 9.

However, the Canadian health minister, Leona Aglukkaq, says that no cases have yet been confirmed in Canada.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

(This post was edited by raferguson on Apr 24, 2009, 7:55 PM)

Rolly

Apr 24, 2009, 7:48 PM

Post #11 of 29 (6530 views)

Shortcut

Warden Message

United States Consulate General Guadalajara
PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO AS MANY AMERICAN CITIZENS AS POSSIBLE

Warden Message #06 FY2009
April 24, 2009
Flu Outbreak in Mexico

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico advises that as a precaution, Mexican authorities closed all schools in the Federal District and in the State of Mexico on April 24, 2009 as the Mexican Secretariat of Health announced hundreds of cases of flu in the country, some of which may be the H1N1 strain of “swine flu”. Some other public institutions, such as museums and government offices, are also closed. Exact numbers of the people infected with the various strains of flu are unavailable. The U.S. Embassy has no additional information about closures.
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Mexico that most cases of influenza are not “swine flu”; any specific questions or concerns about flu or other illnesses should be directed to a medical professional. Although the U.S. Embassy cannot give medical advice or provide medical services to the public, a list of hospitals and doctors can be found on our website at the following link: http://mexico.usembassy.gov/sacs_medical_info.html (Spanish)

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/...cs_medical_info.html (English)

At this time the Mexican Secretariat of Health urges people to avoid large crowds, shaking hands, kissing people as a greeting, or using the subway. Maintaining a distance of at least six feet from other persons may decrease the risk of exposure. In addition, the following prevention tips are from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website:
1. Avoid close contact.

Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.

2. Stay home when you are sick.

If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.

3. Cover your mouth and nose.

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.

4. Clean your hands.

Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.

5. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.

6. Practice other good health habits.

Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.

For additional information, please consult the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov, or the website of the World Health Organization at http://www.who.int. The U.S. Embassy will also post additional information as it becomes available at: http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov.
American Citizens Services

U.S. Embassy Mexico City

Paseo de la Reforma #305

Col Cuauhtemoc; Mexico, D. F., Mexico CP 06500

Tel: (011)(52)(55) 5080-2000

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. & 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.

For after-hours, emergencies only, call (011)(52)(55) 5080-2000, ext. “0”, and ask to speak to the Duty Officer.

e-mail: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov; website: http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Apr 24, 2009, 9:10 PM

Post #12 of 29 (6511 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
See the warden message from the American Embassy.
Attachments: Warden-Message - Influenza April 24 2009 (2).doc (187 KB)

Papirex

Apr 25, 2009, 8:16 PM

Post #13 of 29 (6393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] SWINE FLU

The flu outbreak has the potential to become a worldwide pandemic. The CDC reported that the Tamiflu and Relenza vaccines may be helpful. That is an educated guess since no vaccines have been developed for the new disease yet, and it will probably be a year before an effective vaccine is developed for it.

One of our daughters is a public health nurse in Napa County, California and she was recently promoted to a supervisor position. She called me on the phone to inform us of the potential flu pandemic. We already knew about it as my wife got very sick two days ago. We think she may have the flu, but it is probably not the newly discovered strain since she has no respiratory symptoms. She has improved in the past two days to the point where she now just feels like hell. That is a great improvement. She was supposed to call her best friend who is a Physician in México City today, but she forgot all about it. I will make sure she does it tomorrow or else I will take her to one of the local hospitals.

The news on TV just reported that there are now two confirmed cases of the new strain of flu here in Morelos state, I hope it is not three.

My daughter informed me that the existing flu vaccines were not designed to combat animal strains of the flu, and humans do not develop antibodies naturally to fight the animal or bird strains that are present in the newly discovered flu strain. She also told me that her office is now spending full time studying the problem. She had three meetings back to back on Friday concentrating on the problem, and I believe that the public health offices in all 58 counties as well as The California State public health office are spending full time trying to find a solution.

My daughter also told me that the incubation period after a person is infected with the flu is 24 hours before symtoms appear, and since the flu is an airborne disease, the face masks are a very effective preventive. She told me that the germs (virii?) drop when your breath is a foot from your face. I used to have a bunch of face masks to use whenever we would have an ash fall from the volcanoes near Anchorage. I don't know if I still have them or where they might be stored here. I will probably buy some tomorrow. Most farmacias sell them here, Farmacia Similares sells them 10 for $12 Pesos here.

My daughter also told me to keep checking with the Canadian health service on the Internet every day for the latest news, since they are the leaders in the investigation, right now I can't remember the URL for their site. Also check here:
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/

It has the potential and probably will become very serious folks, be prepared.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by Papirex on Apr 25, 2009, 8:19 PM)

Bethie

Apr 25, 2009, 10:22 PM

Post #14 of 29 (6373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] SWINE FLU

Thanks for the update, i hope your wife is feeling better soon, don't screw around with this stuff. My hubby, who has family in Veracruz and Monterrey, has called everyone to tell them to wear masks, wash hands, etc. He is very worried about his family. You don't want fear to control your actions, however, better safe then sorry.

TigerTonio

Apr 26, 2009, 1:15 AM

Post #15 of 29 (6361 views)

Shortcut

Saying that this isn't good news is definitely an understatement. Earlier, I attended a birthday party at my neighbor's home and then went to dinner at my friends' hotel here in Morelia and, of course, one couldn't escape the major topic. Aside from the obvious health concern, many fear the absolute worst for the tourism industry in Mexico. As if the narco/violence reputation didn't do enough damage...!

Papirex

Apr 26, 2009, 8:11 AM

Post #16 of 29 (6317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] SWINE FLU

There is some good general info from Canada here: http://www.vch.ca/...s/ch05_self_care.pdf

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sunsun

Apr 27, 2009, 8:23 AM

Post #17 of 29 (6196 views)

Shortcut

Hi everyone,

My name is Vivian Song and I'm a national reporter for Sun Media in Toronto. I'm following up on the swine flu outbreak in Mexico and am hoping to speak to a Canadian expat living in Mexico City or surrounding area to tell us what's happening down there. Is it overblown, akin to the SARS outbreak in Toronto or is the panic widespread?
If you call me at 416-947-2341 I'll call you back on my dime. I can also be reached at vivian.song@sunmedia.ca
Hope to hear from you soon,
Vivian

viktoremski

Apr 27, 2009, 12:04 PM

Post #18 of 29 (6150 views)

Shortcut

I hate to be boring, or annoying, by suggesting the same remedy as before. But if it has worked for me (over and over again), it might save others from getting sick as well. So, here I go:
At the first signs of cold or flu (sore throat, running nose, etc...), prepare the following solution:
6-8 drops of 5% Lugol's Iodine in 1/4 cup of water.
Use it to gargle your throat a couple of times, tilt your head back and apply some in your nostrils with a dropper, paint your nostrils using a Q-tip or your pinky (after you wash it first).
You hopefully should see clearing of the symptoms within an hour or two. Repeat the treatment after a few hours, to be sure you killed all of the intruders. If you still feel sick, see a doctor.
You can buy 1 oz bottle of Lugol's Iodine over the Internet, or you can try las farmacias.

gpkgto

Apr 27, 2009, 12:09 PM

Post #19 of 29 (6146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] SWINE FLU

I think home remedies are ill advised when dealing with a potentially deadly flu. Go to the doctor or hospital immediately if swine flu symptoms appear!!.

Rolly

Apr 27, 2009, 12:29 PM

Post #20 of 29 (6132 views)

Shortcut

SWINE FLU -- Schools Closed

The federal government has just ordered all schools -- public, private, college -- closed until 6 May.

Two cases of the flu have been reported in Torreón, the first in my area, and maybe the first in northern México.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Apr 27, 2009, 12:34 PM)

viktoremski

Apr 27, 2009, 1:00 PM

Post #21 of 29 (6125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] SWINE FLU

To "gpkisner":
That is why I said in my message: see a doctor, if there is no improvement within a few hours. I don't think anyone will run to a doctor at the first sign of discomfort in the throat anyway. In the meantime, Lugol's might help to stop the infection from spreading.
Lugol's Iodine is not exactly a home remedy. It was invented by Dr. Lugol almost two hundred years ago, and was used to treat many infectious conditions before the arrival of antibiotics. As recently as during 1990's, my mom who lives in Poland, was prescribed gargling with Lugol's by a doctor to treat chronic throat infection. And it worked.
I am sharing this information because it worked many times for me as well. Having said that, let me repeat: SEE A DOCTOR!!

geri

Apr 27, 2009, 3:00 PM

Post #22 of 29 (6078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] SWINE FLU -- Schools Closed

The schools in Oaxaca City don't seem to be closed today (Mon.April 27) or maybe they are private schools. Quien sabe? But students seem to be in school. Not many people here wearing face masks, maybe because they aren't available. I am guessing that there must be warehouses full of these somewhere, probably in DF, and that they aren't sending them to Oaxaca. I can understand no flu vaccine, but face masks aren't rocket science. None for sale in pharmacies and, I heard, none available to some medical staff and students here. Of course, we can make our own. Some food servers and store clerks are wearing masks, but not all that many. Maybe this will change as more detailed info is released.

esperanza

Apr 27, 2009, 7:27 PM

Post #23 of 29 (6020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] SWINE FLU -- Schools Closed

Geri, the national school closure includes all schools, public and private, and begins on Tuesday, April 28.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Professor

Apr 27, 2009, 7:58 PM

Post #24 of 29 (6005 views)

Shortcut

I live in Mexico City and I just saw on the internet that it originated in southern Mexico. I'm not sure how they know this. I also heard the story about the Canadian who had it. Any of you all living in DF feel the earthquake today?? Strange thing. My wife and I were getting into the car and felt NOTHING. We left the place where we live which is in walking distance to Elektra corporate office here in the south of the city, and everyone was outside.
We thought because someone may have coughed. Anyway, I believe it was a 5.6. I saw on the net that all schools in all of Mexico are closed until further notice. This is getting crazy. Interesting times to be living in Mexico. I was supposed to start a new teaching job tomorrow but was told it would be delayed for at least two weeks.

Papirex

Apr 28, 2009, 9:49 PM

Post #25 of 29 (5864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] SWINE FLU -- Schools Closed

Things are starting to tighten up here in Cuernavaca lately. Maybe it is because there are now two confirmed cases of the new flu virus in Morelos state, I don't know where the two patients are hospitalized, but they are probably here in Cuernavaca.

We did a little shopping yesterday and all of the clerks at Sam's Club and the Superama next to it were wearing face masks, we have seen a few people on the streets wearing masks too. The pharmacies in both stores were sold out of surgical face masks.

Today, Doris went to Costco and the outdoor restaurant there is closed to diners. The chairs are all wrapped in plastic and are sitting on the tables. They are still selling food, but for take out only.

All of the Bars,restaurants, and schools are now closed here, and balnearios are closed to swimmers here too. These draconian measures are very expensive, if this was not a serious situation, the government would not mandate them. Most of the pharmacies here now have signs in front of them saying that they have no surgical face masks. My wife has recovered from whatever she had a few days ago, it was probably just a severe cold or a milder form of the flu, not the bad one. It was a wake up call for us though.

She and her Mom go to México City every month to take care of family business there, pay bills for the house in México City, etc. I want them to have face masks when they go there at the beginning of May. Better safe than sorry. They have already decided that they will just go there and pay all necessary bills, etc. and come home as soon as possible. Usually, they stay a few days in my suegras house there and socialize with their family. All the good restaurants, bars, theaters, movies, museums, and the pyramids are closed there now anyway.

We had already decided to skip going out to dinner until we see what develops here. It's the pits to suddenly not be in charge of your own life

Rex
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4