Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

raferguson

Apr 21, 2009, 8:53 PM

Post #1 of 9 (6970 views)

Shortcut

If the shoe fits......

Can't Post | Private Reply
I was trying to define the word "fits" for my students, and I did not like any of the many definitions in my Harper-Collins dictionary.

One way to look at the word "fits" is "This shoe fits me". "Esta zapato me siente bien". That may be an accurate translation, but not a very literal one. In English, the word fit has little to do with "feeling", the translation for "siente".

"It fits me like a glove." Maybe "Este me siente como un guante."

"The chair fits in my car." Not sure how to translate that.

And then we have the English expression, "If the shoe fits, wear it." This may not have a corresponding Spanish expression.

Gracias de antemano.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

esperanza

Apr 21, 2009, 9:27 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] If the shoe fits......

To say, "This shoe fits me well," you use the Spanish-language verb quedarse in Mexico.

This shoe fits me well...Estos zapatos me quedan bien.

This shoe fits you well...Estos zapatos te quedan bien.

This shoe fits you (formal), him, her, or them well...Estos zapatos le quedan bien a usted (él, ella, ellos, ellas).

To say, "If the shoe fits, wear it,", you would say, "Si te quede la gorra, póntela." Instead of using 'shoe', Mexico uses 'cap' (gorra).

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mevale

Apr 22, 2009, 1:50 PM

Post #3 of 9 (6947 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] If the shoe fits......

In Reply To
To say, "This shoe fits me well," you use the Spanish-language verb quedarse in Mexico.

This shoe fits me well...Estos zapatos me quedan bien.

This shoe fits you well...Estos zapatos te quedan bien.

I think you meant to say "quedar" and not "quedarse". If the reflexive were used, your examples would be: "Estos zapatos se me quedan bien" and "Estos zapatos se te quedan bien". Your examples are correct, but the reflexive "quedarse" is not being used.

(This post was edited by willieboy on Apr 22, 2009, 2:10 PM)

mevale

Apr 22, 2009, 3:00 PM

Post #4 of 9 (6936 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
One way to look at the word "fits" is "This shoe fits me". "Esta zapato me siente bien". That may be an accurate translation, but not a very literal one. In English, the word fit has little to do with "feeling", the translation for "siente".

"It fits me like a glove." Maybe "Este me siente como un guante."

"The chair fits in my car." Not sure how to translate that.

And then we have the English expression, "If the shoe fits, wear it." This may not have a corresponding Spanish expression.

Gracias de antemano.

Richard

Are you sure the verb wasn't "sentar" as in "to suit". The verb in "Este zapato me siente bien" doesn't sound right. "Los zapatos me sientan bien". It has more of a feeling of "to suit" than "to fit". "These shoes suit me".

For "The chair fits in my car" you use the verb "caber". ¿Cabe la silla en el coche? "Will the chair fit in the car?"

(This post was edited by willieboy on Apr 22, 2009, 3:08 PM)

sergiogomez / Moderator

Apr 22, 2009, 7:17 PM

Post #5 of 9 (6920 views)

Shortcut

In terms of clothing or shoes, quedar is always the verb to use. La camisa me queda = the shirt fits me, etc. The verb is not reflexive in this case, but looks like it because it always comes with a direct object pronoun (me, te, se, nos) telling who it fits. Incidentally, these pronouns are the same ones that come on the end of a reflexive verb, which can lead to some confusion.

When talking about objects (or people) fitting in some physical place, caber is always the verb to use. Cabemos en el carro = we fit in the car. La silla cabe en el carro = the chair fits in the car.

If you're ever talking about something "fitting like a glove" as in a solution, agreement, proposition, etc. being agreeable, it can come in handy to remember the phrase "me cae como anillo al dedo." Nothing expresses deep satisfaction quite like that phrase.

esperanza

Apr 22, 2009, 7:35 PM

Post #6 of 9 (6914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [willieboy] If the shoe fits......

You're absolutely right, willieboy. It's an indirect object pronoun, not a reflexive verb.

*sigh*

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mevale

Apr 22, 2009, 8:18 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6909 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
You're absolutely right, willieboy. It's an indirect object pronoun, not a reflexive verb.

*sigh*

It's what happens when your fingers refuse to do the right thing:>))

From reading your posts, I doubt that you have to *sigh" too often. You seem to have a great understanding of the language.

tashby

Apr 22, 2009, 9:20 PM

Post #8 of 9 (6902 views)

Shortcut

It's an indirect object pronoun...

For giggles, I put my head down in Spanish Class today and pretended to cry. The instructor, who I had been out with socially, commented to the rest of the class in a good-natured way, "Look! He cries so much!"

We're in the land of direct and indirect object pronouns....

He calls them the "little buggers". I just want to die. Or cry.

Or sigh!

(This post was edited by tashby on Apr 22, 2009, 9:21 PM)

mevale

Apr 22, 2009, 9:46 PM

Post #9 of 9 (6896 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] If the shoe fits......

In Reply To
It's an indirect object pronoun...

For giggles, I put my head down in Spanish Class today and pretended to cry. The instructor, who I had been out with socially, commented to the rest of the class in a good-natured way, "Look! He cries so much!"

We're in the land of direct and indirect object pronouns....

He calls them the "little buggers". I just want to die. Or cry.

Or sigh!

Me acuerdo bien cuando empecé a aprenderlos. Lloré mucho:>))

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4