Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jimboynton

Mar 26, 2009, 4:06 PM

Post #1 of 17 (4865 views)

Shortcut

Driving through Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
I would be arriving at GDL sometime around late Sunday morning heading north to San Luis Potosi. Do I recall correctly someone advising that it would be just as easy to drive straight through on Lazaro Cardenas instead of using the south Periferico around the city?

I would expect traffic to be somewhat lighter on a Sunday and wonder what comments users might have regarding this idea.

esperanza

Mar 26, 2009, 7:03 PM

Post #2 of 17 (4850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jimboynton] Driving through Guadalajara

Definitely drive straight through on Lázaro Cárdenas. It will take you from the western entry to Guadalajara directly onto the toll road heading east and then north to San Luis Potosí.

Traffic should be light on a Sunday morning.

Have fun.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jimboynton

Apr 18, 2009, 5:23 PM

Post #3 of 17 (4701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Driving through Guadalajara

Just want to report that it was a fairly easy drive through Guadalajara on Lazaro Cardenas. We reached GDL around noon on Sunday April 5th and traffic was not bad.

Hound Dog

Apr 18, 2009, 8:05 PM

Post #4 of 17 (4684 views)

Shortcut

Just want to report that it was a fairly easy drive through Guadalajara on Lazaro Cardenas. We reached GDL around noon on Sunday April 5th and traffic was not bad.

One of the nice things about Guadalajara, Jim, is that it is almost always easy to drive through that city any day of the week on the fabulous cross town thoroughfare Lazaro Cardenas. We always take that route across town rather than the periferico which is a terrible alternative when it can be avoided. My wife tells me Lazaro Cardenas can be a difficult route during early morning commute hours but I have taken it countless times over the past eight years and, barring some sort of unfortunate accident, have invariably gotten across the city or to many city destinations from centro to Zapopan to any number of places quickly and efficiently. Guadalajara is one of the easiest big cities in North America to traverse.

jimboynton

Apr 20, 2009, 4:31 AM

Post #5 of 17 (4612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Driving through Guadalajara

I wonder why so many travelers recommend the periferico instead of straight through GDL?

esperanza

Apr 20, 2009, 9:05 AM

Post #6 of 17 (4591 views)

Shortcut

Jim, thanks so much for posting your experience for us. Lots of people ask lots of questions, but few take the time to post back with what actually happened! It's very much appreciated.

I think people get scared when they think about the ramifications of driving "straight through GDL", when in fact Av. Lázaro Cárdenas traverses the far west and south sides of the city.

In addition, large truck traffic is not allowed on Lázaro Cárdenas, making the trip from east to west and vice versa much less onerous than it is on the Periférico.

tashby

Apr 20, 2009, 10:24 AM

Post #7 of 17 (4581 views)

Shortcut

Is the Chapala Highway easy to access when driving west to east on Lazaro Cardenas?

The last couple of times I've drive Lazaro Cardenas from east to west to access the highway to Tepic and onward. So much easier. But I've never done it in reverse.

If I never get on the pereferico again it'll be fine by me. Even when the traffic is relatively light it's still a grind.

esperanza

Apr 20, 2009, 11:09 AM

Post #8 of 17 (4572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Driving through Guadalajara

The exit for Chapala from Av. Lázaro Cárdenas is very well marked and quite easy to access when you are coming from the west. Fear not!

Hey, guess what we saw in Morelia the other day! An IVAN clone!

Brigitte Ordoquy

Apr 20, 2009, 11:53 AM

Post #9 of 17 (4566 views)

Shortcut

The exit for Chapala from Av. Lázaro Cárdenas is very well marked and quite easy to access when you are coming from the west. Fear not!

Except for one important thing. The exit to Lazaro Cardenas from the Chapala-Guadalajara carretera never refers to the fact that the boulevard one will be taking is named "Lazaro Cardenas" - rather the directional signs state the the left exit leads toward "Nogales" or "Puerto Vallarta" while the right exit leads to "Mexico". People who have lived here for a long time forget that the signage in Guadalajara and Mexico City is attrocious and unforgivable. I can drive across Guadalajara or Mexico City and even the dreadful and anarchic Oaxaca City with blinders on but that is because I have driven through these metropolises many times and understand that the signage and road design is among the worst in the universe while the thoroughfares themselves are state-of-the-art and among the best in the world if you know where you are going.

There is no easier huge city on earth to traverse than Guadalajara once you know how to get around. Mexico City is also easy if one learns how to relax and crosses town on the inner circuit rather than the impossible perifericos saturated with crooked cops and designed by morons and signed by imbeciles. Once you get used to either of these huge conurbations you begin to get a kick out of whipping them and their ilk. On the other hand, if you get lost, you may end up in hell like that old song, Riding The MTA with its signatire line, "Will he ever return no he´ll never return...." See you in hell.

I have driven across Paris countless times among rude French drivers and along thoroughfares designed by the Devil hisseff. I´m still here and I always got where I was going. Don´t complain to me about pussycat Mexican cities.

(This post was edited by Brigitte Ordoquy on Apr 20, 2009, 12:02 PM)

esperanza

Apr 20, 2009, 12:56 PM

Post #10 of 17 (4553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brigitte Ordoquy] Driving through Guadalajara

I think Tashby referred to coming from the west, arriving, for example, from Puerto Vallarta or Tepic. He asked about the exit for Chapala, which is clearly marked.

Brigitte Ordoquy

Apr 20, 2009, 1:20 PM

Post #11 of 17 (4548 views)

Shortcut

The last couple of times I've drive Lazaro Cardenas from east to west to access the highway to Tepic and onward.

I must be misreading this, Esperanza.

(This post was edited by Brigitte Ordoquy on Apr 20, 2009, 1:22 PM)

RickS

Apr 20, 2009, 1:29 PM

Post #12 of 17 (4543 views)

Shortcut

"I must be misreading this, Esperanza."

Yep, that you are. East to west is the part he has done with ease, it was the west to east version that he was questioning.....

(No, I'm not Esperanza.... I just answer for her whilst she takes a siesta.)

tashby

Apr 20, 2009, 1:38 PM

Post #13 of 17 (4541 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Brigitte Ordoquy and esperanza. Sorry about the confusion there....I can see how that happened. But yes, I was asking about accessing the Chapala highway when driving Lazaro Cardenas FROM the west. Hell, I can't even spell periferico correctly. Don't know why but I have a brain freeze on that word.

I figured it was probably easy, since it's the access to the airport. But that would be logical, and we all know how dangerous it is to apply logic. And yes to the signage. Blurgh. And to the notion that if you miss your turn in many Mexican cities, it can be hugely punitive.

I'm always afraid I'm gonna end up in that song....

Thanks again!

P.S. Hi to Ivan's clone! We saw a puppy version (white) when we were staying in Morelia last summer.

(This post was edited by tashby on Apr 20, 2009, 1:41 PM)

Brigitte Ordoquy

Apr 20, 2009, 2:19 PM

Post #14 of 17 (4534 views)

Shortcut

Don´t worry about it, Tashby. None of us are mad at each other and in fact you have provided us an opportunity to entertain ourselves immensely by picking on each other. Please, by all means, ask another question with alternative answers.

Dawg

tashby

Apr 20, 2009, 2:40 PM

Post #15 of 17 (4527 views)

Shortcut

Please, by all means, ask another question with alternative answers.

Alrighty.

1.) Say I'm traveling in a WESTWARDLY direction on Lazaro Cardenas.....where the hell is the exit/turn to get to this world famous Mexican Store called CostCo? I know it's right before I reach the periferico, and the store's to the left, but damn if I can tell where I would turn. What might the signage (not) say? A landmark is probably a great idea.

2.) And say I want to get to, dunno, the area near Hospicio Cabanas/Mercado Libertad from the Chapala-Guadalajara highway. Is the magic formula basically:

Chapala Highway -> pass Parque Agua Azul then -> Right on Independencia?

3.) Can anyone recommend a good driver map for the city of Guadalajara? I HATE the Guia Roji Guadalajara city map. I can't find anything on it because it's actually got too much detail - odd complaint for a map, I know, but I can't even find the Chapala Highway on it. Plus the city is split right down the middle. Same with the Morelia version. Love their map of the Carreteras de Mexico, but the city maps blow.

You opened the door!

8-P

esperanza

Apr 20, 2009, 3:30 PM

Post #16 of 17 (4514 views)

Shortcut

Boy, you do know how to ask questions!

1. First thing: buy the Guía Roji BOOK map of Guadalajara. That big map the size of a bed sheet is useless. The book is easy once you know the name of the street and colonia where you're going. When I lived in GDL, I always wrote out a route from A to B, C, or D as I followed the pages AT HOME--and then followed the route I wrote, rather than the map, when I was on the street. That worked as long as the one-way streets didn't get me all screwed up.

2. Guía Roji for Guadalajara is also online! You can go to the website, plug in the street and colonia names, and it will bring up the map of that section of town. http://mapas.guiaroji.com.mx/ciudad.php?ciudad=2

3. Lázaro Cárdenas to Costco: Lázaro Cárdenas becomes Av. Vallarta, out on the west side of the city as you go into Zapopan. Just stay on Av. Vallarta and you will get to Costco. Costco is at the corner of Av. Vallarta and Calle Rafael Sánzio.

4. Yes, that's the simplest way to get to Hospicio Cabañas until you are more familiar with the area. After you turn right onto Independencia, you will see the Mercado Libertad on your right. Just past the Mercado Libertad there is a parking garage. It's a good place to park to go to the Hospicio.

tashby

Apr 20, 2009, 9:33 PM

Post #17 of 17 (4490 views)

Shortcut

As ever, thank you for the directions esperanza. As you well know, I don't just casually fish for answers on the internet, I actually use them. So I appreciate your time and that of others.

And thanks for the GDL Guia Roji book-version info and link, and for confirming how useless that "bedsheet-sized" map of Guadalajara is. I thought it was just me!

We're having a bit of a "twister" here now"....Auntie Em! Auntie Em!.....so I'm gonna sign off and save the 'puter.

P.S. Send Ivan virtual hugs. He could use some right now.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4