Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Jetski

Apr 18, 2009, 8:08 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4797 views)

Shortcut

Eneldo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, just wondering in what if any dishes eneldo is currently used in Mexico. My background is eastern European so dill is almost a food group for us. I have seen some reference to eneldo used with mariscos in South America but little from Mexico. Thanks.

(This post was edited by Jetski on Apr 18, 2009, 8:35 PM)

Anonimo

Apr 19, 2009, 3:06 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4750 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jetski] Eneldo

I don't yet know of any culinary uses for eneldo in Mexico, but I think it's used as a tea, possibly for bronchial ailments. I hope to learn more.

My wife had great success in growing dill in the garden here in the Pátzcuaro area. I use it extensively in my own cooking, in meatballs, borscht, cucumber pickles and the like.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Apr 19, 2009, 11:09 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jetski] Eneldo

Señor Google is always your friend when you have questions of this kind. I googled "eneldo receta mexico" and came up with quite a few recipes. Try it!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Brigitte Ordoquy

Apr 20, 2009, 6:52 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Eneldo

I wonder if the eneldo or hinojo we see in Mexico is the plant we call fenouil in France . It makes sense the Spaniards would have brought in fennel as it is widely used around the mediterranean.

The plant called eneldo here is the same plants we see all over the place in Provence ? We cut the leaves and dry them and then use them to smoke fish and give it an anis flavor.

Dill in France is called false fennel or smelly anis it is Anethum graveolens

I have seen the leaves used in Mexico in vinegar with veggies and one of the ladies in Chiapas told me the plant is used for medicinal purposes.

The root of the fennel we eat comes from a plant that looks similar but is Foeniculum vulgare used for the root and to make various anis drinks like absinth, ouzo arak, pernod, pastis etc so popular in Souther Europe, Greece, Turkey etc..

Both plants come from the family of the Apiaceae.

esperanza

Apr 20, 2009, 7:09 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brigitte Ordoquy] Eneldo

Hmm.

The plant that we would call fennel is called anisillo (at least here in Michoacán). Anisillo has a pronounced anise flavor. It's the plant that's used to make atole de grano.

Let me ask around over here. I'll be in the market in Pátzcuaro on Wednesday and will find out what I can.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Brigitte Ordoquy

Apr 20, 2009, 7:28 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Eneldo

In Spain, I do not know about here, anisillo is cilantro or coriander... the plot thickens..

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4