Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

MazGuy

Apr 11, 2009, 7:30 AM

Post #1 of 3 (5055 views)

Shortcut

Zoysia grass

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know if & where Zoysia grass is available here in Mexico? If not, does anyone know if it's legal to import it? Or does anyone know of a type of grass similar to Zoysia would be available in the Mazatlan area?

Many thanks,

Bob

JohnnyBoy

Apr 14, 2009, 1:16 PM

Post #2 of 3 (5009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazGuy] Zoysia grass

I have no specific help with Zoysia to offer. Sorry. However, I am told that there is no problem bringing live plants into Mexico from the USA.

I was just in Tucson this past weekend and purchased a yucca plant and was all antsy about hiding it somehow in the car. My Mexican partner told me, AGAIN, to relax. The Mexican border officials do not worry about plants coming in from the USA, provided they are not illegal in themselves, such as marijuana plants.

And sure enough, we got a red light, Revision, at Km 21. We pulled over, opened all four doors, the truck, and the hood.

In the back seat was the yucca plant. In the trunk, among other things, was a brand new, still in the box Phillips VCR/DVD combo machine, as well as eight 1.75 liter bottles of booze. Along with about $300 worth of beef from Costco, in a cooler.

No problema at all about any of it.

My neighbors and I here in the desert all have St Augustine grass lawns. Mine is about 80% green and 20% yellow or dead. I face into the south. They face into the north. Theirs is dark, lush green and all they ever do is water it and mow it.

Camille

Apr 15, 2009, 10:20 PM

Post #3 of 3 (4978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazGuy] Zoysia grass

Plenty of zoysia in Nayarit. It's a better choice, IMHO, than St. Augustine.... needs less water. Also it is a much finer, more esthetically pleasing carpet of grass.
I will be at the viveros in La Penita tomorrow and will get some info for you.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4