Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Jetski

Apr 13, 2009, 7:35 PM

Post #1 of 8 (4455 views)

Shortcut

Musical fruit

Can't Post | Private Reply
Somewhere I've read that germinating dried bean seeds overnight on damp towels make the seeds utilize the undigestible sugars which cause indigestion gas. Next day boil the beans as normally done. Any truth to this?

Cheers.

esperanza

Apr 13, 2009, 8:06 PM

Post #2 of 8 (4448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jetski] Musical fruit

No.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Jetski

Apr 14, 2009, 3:21 PM

Post #3 of 8 (4394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Musical fruit

In Reply To
No.

Thanks Esperanza, the 'germination' info shows up on a lot of sites but probably just folks copying incorrect information from others. Here's another which is more interesting; a patent on using pineapple bromalain derived enzymes or papaya derived enzymes;

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4376127.html

I wonder if throwing some pineapple rinds in with unheated water when soaking beans overnight might have some success in helping to reduce the undigestible oligosaccharides, or if there are some other casera means of reducing gas production from beans. Cheers.

(This post was edited by Jetski on Apr 14, 2009, 3:46 PM)

wendy devlin

Apr 14, 2009, 4:10 PM

Post #4 of 8 (4383 views)

Shortcut

This topic begs the question.

How does Esperanza, cook her beans?

esperanza

Apr 14, 2009, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 8 (4362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Musical fruit

Frijoles de la Olla

1/2 kilo frijol peruano or the bean of your choice in the quantity of your choice
Water
Salt

Method

Pick over dried beans to remove stones, insect parts, and bits of straw and dirt. Wash beans in a colander under running water.

When I cook 1/2 kilo of beans, I use a 6-quart pot with a cover. Put the washed beans in the pot and add water to about two inches from the top of the pot. Bring the uncovered pot to a boil over a high flame. Lower the flame to a simmer, put the top on crooked so that steam can escape, and simmer until a good bit of the water evaporates--approximately an hour. From this point, you may need to add more water.

Keep an eye on the water level and add BOILING WATER as needed. This is important: if you add cold or tepid water, you will lower the temperature of the beans in the pot and they will not cook properly. Allow the beans to simmer until they are soft and tender and until the 'pot licker' is the consistency of...well, pot licker. You want enough liquid left in the pot to use for making frijolitos refritos.

When the beans are done, add salt to taste.

That's it, folks. Easy peasy.

I usually make enough for lunch today, breakfast tomorrow, and, since there are two of us, several two-serving size ziplock bags for the freezer. Beans freeze well. Since it takes the same amount of propane to cook a small batch or a large batch, I prefer to cook a lot at once.

yucatandreamer

Apr 15, 2009, 7:21 AM

Post #6 of 8 (4331 views)

Shortcut

Here in Yucatan all beans are cooked with the herb epazote. A must for reducing the effects of beans on the digestive system.............or an old wives tale.

esperanza

Apr 15, 2009, 7:35 AM

Post #7 of 8 (4329 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Musical fruit

Yes, I often put a sprig of epazote in the bean pot. I haven't noticed any gastrointestinal effects, but the flavor is delicious.

Yucatandreamer, are the beans cooked in your part of Mexico usually frijol negro?

yucatandreamer

Apr 15, 2009, 8:08 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Musical fruit

Almost always frijol negro and usually as a thin bland soup. We are also famous for frijol con puerco with black beans. You eat this on Monday. It is also not an option to put epazote in your beans here in Yucatan, it is a requirement. As to other types of beans, it is possible that foreigners eat them(foreigners defined as anyone from anywhere else, particularly Mexico City) but a real Yucateco will eat exactly what his forefathers ate.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4