Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Hound Dog

Apr 12, 2009, 9:42 AM

Post #1 of 16 (5918 views)

Shortcut

Back in the USA

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, here we are back in Peoria Upon Sump and I must say this is a beautiful area and the lake is grand and the town (Ajijic) seems prosperous and, because we had yet to have restocked our larder we went out to a new West Ajijic restaurant for dinner that caters to foreigners that was not here when we left and our enthusiasm at having returned to Lakeside was brought back to earth by obsequious wait staff refusing to speak Spanish to my extended French family who do not even remotely value English and vulgar loudmouthed American retirees right out of the Journey´s End Mobile Home Estates and mediocre and bland food and just like that the bloom was off the rose.

I don´t mean to be unfair but when one returns to Lakeside after six months in Chiapas, the worst of American loud and demanding and jingoistic crudeness hits one between the eyes and the experience is not pleasant. Now, go ahead and beat me up for candor but believe me I am not anti-American so my observations, while provocative, are not dishonest nor mean-spirited.

My advice to U.S. and Canadian retirees considering this area for retirement is that they consider much of the rest of this marvelous country alternatively. Otherwise, just move to Hattiesburg.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 12, 2009, 10:19 AM)

poorslob101

Apr 12, 2009, 6:57 PM

Post #2 of 16 (5869 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Back in the USA

I hope you don't feel this way about all american's, I have visited the world over and feel that the french were by far the most intriguing. I personally feel that a person is what he or she has made of themselve's. All of us have have our own iniquities and mannerism's. hopefully, I don't come across as brash. I respect every person's freedoms and feeling's. I look forward to the chance to become immersed in another culture. Hopefully I will not insult anyone's feeling's in the process. Looking forard to meeting each and every one of you.

Hound Dog

Apr 12, 2009, 8:14 PM

Post #3 of 16 (5850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [poorslob101] Back in the USA

I hope you don't feel this way about all american's,

Sorry to introduce you to my sense of humor so abruptly poorslob.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

It is only my sisters I despise and my cousin Betty Sue and my brother-in-law Fred Bob and my aunt Bertha Jean.

poorslob101

Apr 12, 2009, 9:07 PM

Post #4 of 16 (5835 views)

Shortcut

well said: hopefully I will be coming down next summer to check things out .
Look forward to sharing a pint. Just from what I have read i believe that I will fit in just fine. And as I said, I can come across a little brash myself, I just hope I am not perceived as the usual american. IF so, I apologize in advance.

Hound Dog

Apr 12, 2009, 10:05 PM

Post #5 of 16 (5830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [poorslob101] Back in the USA

well said: hopefully I will be coming down next summer to check things out .
Look forward to sharing a pint. Just from what I have read i believe that I will fit in just fine. And as I said, I can come across a little brash myself, I just hope I am not perceived as the usual american. IF so, I apologize in advance.

You´re OK in my book PS101. If there is one thing this town could use it is more folks with a sense of humor. The pint is in my fridge awaiting your arival. If I drink it before you get here fret not as I have an unlimited replenishment source.

Gringal

Apr 13, 2009, 9:33 AM

Post #6 of 16 (5787 views)

Shortcut

What the hull do you expect when you go to the newest "steak house"?

Ya want noise level? You should try living near a gen-u-ine Eventos palace when it really gets going during a Tapatio party.

Sense of humor? They have a warehouse at the border where expats park it. They pay by the size. For some, it's almost free.

Welcome back.

Georgia

Apr 13, 2009, 10:33 AM

Post #7 of 16 (5769 views)

Shortcut

Thank God and Greyhound you're ...........back. Been boring without you.

Hound Dog

Apr 13, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #8 of 16 (5750 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Back in the USA

Damnit, Georgia, you make me feel guilty for having been at least marginally rude to you on another tread. You´re OK in my book.

Bubba

Georgia

Apr 13, 2009, 4:19 PM

Post #9 of 16 (5725 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, it takes me about ten years to realize when people have been rude to me. Rude on!

Hound Dog

Apr 13, 2009, 6:48 PM

Post #10 of 16 (5707 views)

Shortcut

If you didn´t live in that hick town just east of Yokeltepec, I´d marry you.

By the way, if, after 30 years or so of lawyering, that is the best town you could have afforded upon retirement, I suggest you take the bar exam just one more time. Maybe this time you´ll pass the damn thing. There is always hope if John in Ajijic can afford to live in that Sur Place.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 13, 2009, 6:49 PM)

Georgia

Apr 13, 2009, 7:18 PM

Post #11 of 16 (5702 views)

Shortcut

Ah, Bubba, I am flattered. But the sad fact is I passed the bar on the first try at age 55. I had other careers (plural careers) before my lawyering days. Short attention span. You wouldn't want me.

Hound Dog

Apr 13, 2009, 7:20 PM

Post #12 of 16 (5700 views)

Shortcut

At age 55 the only things I could pass were cheap scotch and Spam fritters with Moon Pies and root beer floats.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 13, 2009, 7:23 PM)

Georgia

Apr 13, 2009, 7:22 PM

Post #13 of 16 (5695 views)

Shortcut

PS: We don't just live here, We also have a home in Tlaquepaque - I like the predictable sidewalks, noches de ronda, night life, etc. It's super: we go there weekends when all the tapatios come to Lake Chapala. Makes for a nice traffic pattern. So, what's up with living in Chiapas AND Ajijic? Weird mix.

Georgia

Apr 13, 2009, 7:25 PM

Post #14 of 16 (5693 views)

Shortcut

Well, there goes my dinner. How tasty.

Hound Dog

Apr 14, 2009, 12:41 PM

Post #15 of 16 (5598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Back in the USA

What the hull do you expect when you go to the newest "steak house"?
Ya want noise level? You should try living near a gen-u-ine Eventos palace when it really gets going during a Tapatio party.
Sense of humor? They have a warehouse at the border where expats park it. They pay by the size. For some, it's almost free.
Welcome back.
Gringal
Thank you Gringal:

It´s good to be back here for the summer and we really look forward to those tremendous thunderstorms they have around here. They also get copious rains in San Cristóbal but we live in a higly urbanized setting there where the streets typically flood and sidewalks are slick and dangerous so summer at the lake is much more pleasant in our view.

Interestingly. while we all cherish the rains and lake replenishment of summer here at Lake Chapala, in mountainous Chiapas and the adjacent flat coastal plain of Tabasco on the Gulf, the rains, while certainly needed and a blessing, bring flooding in the plains and mudslides in the hills that can be devastating. Such beautiful natural phenomena as the wonderful rivers down there (the Grijalva and Unamacinta Rivers and the splendid crystal clear cascades at Agua Azul among many others come to mind) become turbid and flood prone during the winter rainy season covering vast areas that are lush and dry during the dry season. And to make matters even worse, in the Jovel Valley in which San Cristóbal is located at 7,000 feet, the rains can be damp and chilly and therefore can make life less pleasant.

By the way, even though we do not live next to a loud evento as do you in Ajijic, we do live next to a midwifery operation catering to indigenous villagers living near San Cristóbal and it is a tradition down there that when an indigenous woman from those parts has a baby, she is serenaded by street bands throughout the early morning hours according to what time the baby comes out but that´s OK. The music is more a harmonious and beautiful traditional Mexican/Spanish style than one typically hears around here and most pleasant to listen to at 3:00AM.

Incidentally, I hope you got a good deal on that beautiful house next to the evento. I don´t know what it´s like here but in Chiapas the mere thought of asking folks to cut out the music never occurs to anyone.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 14, 2009, 12:47 PM)

Gringal

Apr 14, 2009, 1:14 PM

Post #16 of 16 (5587 views)

Shortcut

We're two levels away from the Eventos. The house in between gets the full benefit. And, the Eventos place is now occupied by "La Gasconade", which moved from it's prior location on the Carretera. I believe Brigitte dined there.
Unfortunately, their sense of marketing is sorely lacking, so as of this point, it appears to be sparsely patronized. Perhaps you should try it and give us a report. It should be much quieter than your foray to the steak house. Same street as the main church; almost to 16 Septiembre.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4