Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

belgique

Apr 13, 2009, 6:57 AM

Post #1 of 17 (7599 views)

Shortcut

Elevation/Altitude

Can't Post | Private Reply
We escaped the Gulf Coast to avoid Semana Santa crowds and to do some reconnaissance for a possible future more permanent destination (we're in an RV).

We really like the town of Cholula. The down side is the altitude. At approximately 7,000', we have been hammered and still, after almost 2 weeks, are very lethargic.

Do lesser altitudes (2-3000) take the same toll? We want to be on the Gulf side because of travel time to family.

ken_in_dfw

Apr 13, 2009, 7:58 AM

Post #2 of 17 (7578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] Elevation/Altitude

Can't Post |
Every person is different and much of the ability to tolerate thinner air depends on physical fitness, lung capacity, general health. What bothers one person at 5000-ft / 1500 meters won't bother another until they get to 8500-ft / 2600 meters.

Generally speaking, most people don't notice any problems up to 5000 ft / 1500 meters. Have you tried Xalapa? It's about 4500 ft / 1400 meters.

belgique

Apr 13, 2009, 8:16 AM

Post #3 of 17 (7571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kenhjr] Elevation/Altitude

Actually, Xalapa was first on our list to escape to but we could not find a campground that would accommodate our RV. Couple of nice chaps think that we could work out something in a hotel parking lot but we did not want to inconvenience them during the big peso period of Semana Santa. We'll give it a look at calmer times. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hound Dog

Apr 13, 2009, 1:55 PM

Post #4 of 17 (7530 views)

Shortcut

We escaped the Gulf Coast to avoid Semana Santa crowds and to do some reconnaissance for a possible future more permanent destination (we're in an RV).

We really like the town of Cholula. The down side is the altitude. At approximately 7,000', we have been hammered and still, after almost 2 weeks, are very lethargic.

Do lesser altitudes (2-3000) take the same toll? We want to be on the Gulf side because of travel time to family

This is easy Belguique. The valley between Orizaba and Córdoba, Veracruz is among the most beautiful in the world. And the vallley is at 3,000 to 4,000 feet . Magnificent. Splendid. Green beyond green. If you don´t like this place then just hang it up and move back to Belgium - a place of no consequence scenically or socially and certainly to be avoided at all costs.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 13, 2009, 1:56 PM)

belgique

Apr 13, 2009, 2:06 PM

Post #5 of 17 (7523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Elevation/Altitude

Thanks Dog...as it turns out, we'll be passing through there tomorrow on 150 heading south. We'll pay attention.

I see your charming Frog wife has influenced you re Belgium. Strange to see all the Frog cars at Belgian restaurants near the border on the weekends. :-). Some beautiful scenery in the Bastogne area if you can see it for the fog. My bride is the Belgian and has no family left there. I am but a humble Jax Florida (aka South Georgia) clod kicker so BBQ is more my style.

Again, thanks for the tip.

Hound Dog

Apr 13, 2009, 2:30 PM

Post #6 of 17 (7516 views)

Shortcut

Belquique:

I was just kidding and got into trouble with my Frog wife for those offhanded remarks which were intended to be humorous. Sometimes my sense of humor gets in front of my nose. Belgium is a wonderful country and they have some of the best food on the planet. May I now stop kissing your butt in order to save my marraige?

GodAlmighty!

My wife, who was in the wine business for over 30 years, tells me Belgians are among the funnest folks on the earth.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Apr 13, 2009, 3:24 PM)

belgique

Apr 13, 2009, 2:36 PM

Post #7 of 17 (7509 views)

Shortcut

No offense taken. I've read you for too many years to know when you are offending and when you are kidding. You failed to mention the beer...ain't no PBR there.

Hound Dog

Apr 13, 2009, 2:41 PM

Post #8 of 17 (7507 views)

Shortcut

Belgian beer is the best beer in the universe. Period.

Judy in Ags

Apr 15, 2009, 10:50 AM

Post #9 of 17 (7432 views)

Shortcut

We live at 6200 feet and have never been bothered by the altitude. We're 68 and 71 years of age. I have heard a few expats mention that it takes them some time to get used to it when they go NOB and then come back.

tashby

Apr 16, 2009, 4:28 PM

Post #10 of 17 (7372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Elevation/Altitude

I seem to recall someone (probably Rolly?) posted a link at one time that listed locations in Mexico and included elevation information.

I was using it to research various areas and would sure like to find it again. Anybody have it?

Rolly

Apr 16, 2009, 5:03 PM

Post #11 of 17 (7362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Elevation/Altitude

http://www.wunderground.com/global/MX.html

Select the city of interest, then scroll down to find the elevation.

Rolly Pirate

tashby

Apr 16, 2009, 5:34 PM

Post #12 of 17 (7356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Elevation/Altitude

Thanks!

I wasn't weather underground....but that will certainly do!

RickS

Apr 16, 2009, 6:43 PM

Post #13 of 17 (7344 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Elevation/Altitude

But one does have to be cautious with this as some cities don't have weather underground 'sites' and they will dish up something else 'close by'. I tried Tepic and knew something was amiss as it said it was 21 feet elevation.... turned out to be the PV airport.

jerezano

Apr 17, 2009, 6:52 AM

Post #14 of 17 (7314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Elevation/Altitude

Hello all,

Yes, be careful with the elevation and also the weather reports. Those two data are usually taken from the nearest airport. As such they can both be wrong, although the weather is usually close to that reported except for the maximum and minimum temperatures. For example, the weather and elevation here in Jerez and also for Zacatecas some two thousand feet higher is usually reported for the Zacatecas Airport which is at Calera which is somewhere between the two. Minimum temperatures are usually much lower in Zacatecas and much higher in Jerez. There is usually not too much variation with the Maximum temperatures.

jerezano.

Papirex

Apr 17, 2009, 9:49 AM

Post #15 of 17 (7282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Elevation/Altitude

Jerezano is right, Online temps and elevations are often inaccurate depending on where the readings are taken. The readings are made at the airport here in Cuernavaca which is about 25 miles south of town at a much lower elevation. The high temps reported are usually at least 10 or 15º C. higher and the low temps are usually at least 10 or 15º C. lower than the actual temps in town here.

The elevation of Cuernavaca is generally reported as being 5000 feet above sea level, but that is an average. Cuernavaca is located on the lower slope of the beginning of the mountain that rises on the way to México City. According to Google Earth, our house in the northern part of the city is at an elevation of 6200 feet.

There are four distinct climate zones in one city here, lower and warmer in the south, and higher and cooler in the north. The different climates here are a good reason to rent until you decide that you like the climate in your colonia. We lived for a year in the lower southern part of the city, it was a little too warm in the summer there for us. We then lived for another year in a more central place, the climate was nice there, but we were near a go-cart track and the house was always dusty. If we had known that a Wal-Mart Super Center was going to be built on the site of the go-cart track, maybe we would have stayed there.

It is a little cooler in the winter than we like where we now live and we are considering moving again, although the higher elevation here doesn't bother either one of us. My wife is from México City which is at an average elevation of 7200 feet so it definitely does not affect her at this lower elevation. We have relatives that live in Cholula and the elevation doesn't affect either one of us there either.

The spring and summer temps are great where we now live, we have been enjoying average temps of about 25º C. day and night lately according to my Weather Channel indoor-outdoor electronic thermometer. We are leaving the doors open day and night now until we go to bed for the convenience of the dogs. It's short sleeved shirt weather now, but no short pants are needed. (I'm not overweight and I do have good looking legs though.)

The down comforter came off the bed a couple of months ago, and the regular blanket came off the bed a month ago, and so did the dog's jackets, they also got their summer haircuts. Our vet makes house calls, so he picks them up, gives them their baths and haircuts, and brings them both home for only 350 Pesos (US$26.83) That's less than $14 Bucks per dog for door to door service.

Sorry for wandering around with this post. Life is good here, and the climate is perfect in “The city of eternal spring.”

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Hound Dog

Apr 17, 2009, 12:19 PM

Post #16 of 17 (7260 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Elevation/Altitude

The temperature variances are interesting. The temperature highs and lows in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas at 7,000 feet are often predicted to be the temperatures expected at Tuxtla Gutierrez at 1,300 feet where it is much hotter and drier or even Huehuetenango, Guatemala which is also a high altitude community but one cannot discern weather phenomena especially among high mountain communities subject to variances brought about by mountainous terrain which, of course,produces climatalogical anomolies within short distances.

The weather at San Cristóbal is seriously affected by climate flows generated by the Gulf of Mexico as can be said of Veracruz and Villahermosa. Therefore, if you decide that Highland Chiapas or Coastal or mountainous Veracruz state or the flood-prone coastal plain of Tabasco may be right for you - think twice. The climates in these regions are very different from those one might experience in West central Mexico where Lake Chapala and Guadalajara are located.

Papirex

Apr 17, 2009, 12:39 PM

Post #17 of 17 (7254 views)

Shortcut

You are right about the mountainous terrain causing some interesting anomalies Bob. That is not always a downer though. 3 or 4 years ago there was a hurricane that came ashore from The Gulf and traveled across the country doing some damage all the way. The mountains split that storm and it went around both sides of our little state.

It did damage in the states to the east, north, south, and west of us but we only had some high winds, nothing to worry about though. Most of the worrying was done by our dogs, they don't like high winds.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by Papirex on Apr 17, 2009, 12:43 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4