Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

nonmeister

Apr 12, 2009, 12:50 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4676 views)

Shortcut

OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I were in Ajijic in 2003 and we took our auto. It was insured at a NOB place and registered at Rynosa(sp) then we stayed in Mexico for about 2 months and left. We did not get the auto checked out when we left because 1- We are not too bright and 2- we just thought the registration would run out. Now we are ready to go back and stay for 4 months and take another auto. Did we do a bad and if so what can we do to make it right? Will our new car make the difference and just be registered at the border without being identified with the ld on that other car we don't own any more? We have lost the paperwork on the old car also. Duh! We Are not too bright like I said.

Hound Dog

Apr 12, 2009, 1:04 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nonmeister] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

Nonmeister:

Here is what you do. The one of you who did not import a car can now import one. Remember in whose name the initial car was imported and import the new car in the other´s name. This is a serious issue in Mexico so the one of you who imported the first car will not be able to import another one.

We have gotten rid of all of our imported cars thank God. That only works´however, if you plan to live here until you croak.

chinagringo

Apr 12, 2009, 1:17 PM

Post #3 of 11 (4663 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nonmeister] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

We did a similar thing in 2004 when we took out a vehicle that had been in MX for a number of years. Drove right through the border without having the sticker removed. Have been back a number of times with a different vehicle and there has never been an issue with the original. We were probably just lucky and probably wouldn't advise taking a chance.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Papirex

Apr 12, 2009, 4:17 PM

Post #4 of 11 (4633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

Chinagringo, the temporary vehicle import records were not computerized until sometime in the early 2000s. I don't remember exactly what year it was, but I know they were not computerized in the year 2000.

If the car you mentioned was temporarily imported into México before the records were all entered into a computer database, your car may have slipped through the cracks. There will be a record of any car brought into the country in recent years.

If a person gets into a jam about a import sticker, yelling and screaming will be just as effective as appealing to logic. They are serious about everyone following their procedures exactly. It's their way or the highway now.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

chinagringo

Apr 12, 2009, 5:12 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

Thanks Rex! We kind of figured that is what had happened since the vehicle was brought into MX in 1998.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Marlene

Apr 12, 2009, 7:17 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4591 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

Sometimes a vehicle is registered and titled in two names, and temporarily imported jointly. If this is the case, then they could have a problem.

mazatlanlee

Apr 12, 2009, 7:38 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

Marlene, in every case, our vehicles were always registered in both mine and Ken's names. No trouble bringing them into Mexico in only one of our names. Last vehicle we had here was registered (Oregon) in both of our names. We had always brought it into Mexico in Ken's name, but the last trip, he wasn't with me, so I brought it in under my own name. No problem with that at all. BUT, I'd like to add another precaution, folks: be sure that the name on your title or registration is exactly the same as on your bank card. I presented my bank card with my nickname on it, and was told it wasn't good because the title on the vehicle was in my legal name. Names had to match.... good thing I was carrying another card, in my legal name!

Lee
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

sioux4noff

Apr 12, 2009, 7:50 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

I didn't think a vehicle could actually be imported in 2 names. both of our vehicles are title in both of our names. Our first trip crossing the border with 1 car, the clerk asked which name was going to go on the import paperwork. so I figured it had to be one or the other.
Do any of you actually have both names on the import paper? Does that count as 1/2 vehicle, allowing you another 1/2 another time?

Marlene

Apr 12, 2009, 7:55 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

You have a good point there. I may have been listening to folklore on that topic!

Papirex

Apr 12, 2009, 8:19 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

No, a car may never be imported in more than one name, no matter how many names are on the title or registration papers. Forget about logic, the Mexican government isn't interested in logic. I wanted to put the import permit for the second car we temporarily imported in my wifes name since I had already imported a car in my name a year earlier.

The clerk at the Aduana office at the border station we were at was unaware of the law that says that a Mexican citizen that can prove that h/she does not reside in México permanently may temporarily import a vehicle.

He wasn't interested in looking at my wife's green card or any of the proofs we had of our legal residence address in The State of Alaska. He insisted that my Mexican wife could not import a car from The US and he insisted that the import permit must be in my name. Both of our names were on the titles for both cars. I knew it was illegal as hell to import more than one car in my name, but the Aduana was insisting on it, so I let them do it their way.

No vehicle import records were computerized in those days so the risk to me was zip. We nationalized the first car about a year and a half later, and we nationalized the second car 2 or 3 years after that.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sioux4noff

Apr 12, 2009, 9:09 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] OOPS ...did we make a bad with Auto??

Papirex has given proof that even when they (gov't officials) are wrong, they are always right!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4