Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Eldorado

Apr 26, 2002, 10:28 AM

Post #1 of 9 (10762 views)

Shortcut

Paint/sealer for concrete roofs

Can't Post |
I'd appreciate any input about good quality roof paints for concrete roofs.
Roof has slight pitch, around 40 years old, obviously painted many times before, a few hairline cracks (lots of earthquakes here in Acapulco, sometimes a couple of rumbles a night). There are a few patches where the thick last coating is peeling. I want to do it white as before, and walk on it/ sit up there on chairs, so I don't want to use an elastomeric, as my experience
with them in the States is that in hot weather they are just too soft to take deck furniture or walking. Should I try to finger/brush caulk over the hairline cracks first (too small to caulk with a gun), or should a good quality paint pretty much seal the cracks?

Carl Carlson

Apr 26, 2002, 4:01 PM

Post #2 of 9 (10752 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Because changes in air temperature will cause the concrete to expand and contract, I would expect that any hard covering would crack. Using an elastomeric covering in conjuction with a wooden deck is most likely to succeed.

Rolly

Apr 26, 2002, 4:49 PM

Post #3 of 9 (10753 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Carl’s idea would make a nice roof deck, but it would be rather expensive. I have another idea that might be just a little less costly and offer another advantage. <p>Would your house benefit from a better thermal insulation on the roof? If so, you might want to check into using a perlite concrete topping on the roof. This would take care of the cracks and leaks as well as providing some thermal relief. <p>Talk to a local builder for more information and read the thread on the subject down this page a bit.<p>

Loco

Apr 26, 2002, 5:27 PM

Post #4 of 9 (10752 views)

Shortcut

In Belize

Can't Post |
a friend of mine had cheap local labor up on the roof with little pick axes ... kinda like is used for cleaning a weld. They opened all the cracks enough to allow a sealer to fill the hole, then used something like Quickcrete self-leveling over the top. Rollys idea might work but I'd be concerned about bonding the two layers.

Ken in Maz

Apr 26, 2002, 6:58 PM

Post #5 of 9 (10753 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: Go to any good paint store and ask for white impermeaente.It is an elastomeric product will seal cracks and its reflective quality will reduce inside temperatures in summer. Comex brand is mejor Ken Jacobs

ken in Maz

Apr 27, 2002, 12:10 AM

Post #6 of 9 (10753 views)

Shortcut

The Comex product dries hard like exterior house paint.NFM

Can't Post |
: : Go to any good paint store and ask for white impermeaente.It is an elastomeric product will seal cracks and its reflective quality will reduce inside temperatures in summer. Comex brand is mejor Ken Jacobs<p>

Dutch

May 11, 2002, 3:27 PM

Post #7 of 9 (10755 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: I'd appreciate any input about good quality roof paints for concrete roofs.
: Roof has slight pitch, around 40 years old, obviously painted many times before, a few hairline cracks (lots of earthquakes here in Acapulco, sometimes a couple of rumbles a night). There are a few patches where the thick last coating is peeling. I want to do it white as before, and walk on it/ sit up there on chairs, so I don't want to use an elastomeric, as my experience
: with them in the States is that in hot weather they are just too soft to take deck furniture or walking. Should I try to finger/brush caulk over the hairline cracks first (too small to caulk with a gun), or should a good quality paint pretty much seal the cracks?
==================================================<p>Just as you would use a fibreglass tape to seal between joints of sheetrock in the USA, there is a product for bridging small cracks in the concrete roofs prevailant in Mexico. It's made by Fester, and is called "Imperflex". Comes in rolls in the Guadalajara area; most hardware stores will sell you smaller pieces off a big roll if you only need small quantities. I've used it to re-seal an entire roof, as well as join an existing roof with new construction. First, the roof is "painted" with a conventional roof coating, the fabric (looks like thin fibreglass sheeting) is laid on, and then another coat of the roof coating is applied. Two if you want additional protection. The coatings typically come with 1, 3 or 5 years "warranties". Buena Suerte!...Dutch

eldorado

May 12, 2002, 7:17 AM

Post #8 of 9 (10752 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Thanks for the replies, a local also recommended Fester products.
Turns out what I'm looking for is Yesso, which is a lot thicker than paint. More like a topping. Chunks I've scraped off the concrete
are around 1/8" thick. I've heard there are some 2 part products and some one part Comex, I'll find out more this week. It looks like someone has painted the Yesso with an ordinary vinyl paint, so the concern is going to be cleaning and getting a good bond to the old surface.

Kamil HUY

Sep 6, 2002, 7:28 AM

Post #9 of 9 (10752 views)

Shortcut

The Comex product dries hard like exterior house paint.NFM

Can't Post |
: : : Go to any good paint store and ask for white impermeaente.It is an elastomeric product will seal cracks and its reflective quality will reduce inside temperatures in summer. Comex brand is mejor Ken Jacobs
---------------------------
preace list,techinical data sheet and,product list<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4