Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ximenrobt

Apr 10, 2009, 4:38 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4842 views)

Shortcut

Need Advice on Retiring to Mexico & Getting Married to a Mexican National

Can't Post | Private Reply
WOW! Sure hope I can get some answers here!
I am an older fellow and I have finally met "the special one"! We intend on getting married in Mexico, after her divorce is legally complete. She has to wait for a period of two years before we can get married in the church. I am a Canadian living and working (for the past 50 years) in the USA on a Permanente Immigrant Visa.

The last time I was down to see my bride to be in Mexico, I had a six month car permit for my 2005 Tahoe to go along with my 6 month tourist visa. When I came across the border to the USA, I told the Mexican authorities that I would be back before six months. They have just told me to keep the permit and the permit papers and I could use it the next time I came into Mexico. So I did.

After looking at buying a used car for her in Tamaulipas, I thought to myself this is crazy, what they want for a used car here. Not to mention that buying a used car in Tamaulipas was probably not a good idea, as you don't really know the circumstances of that car. So when I came back to the USA, I found a nice great shape 2002 Volkswagen Beetle. I got it at a good price and now I intend to take this car back to her.

My question is the following. Can I take the VW to her even if I have the Tahoe still under the temporary tourist immigration permit for my Tahoe? Will I have to bring both cars back to the border and drive the Tahoe across the border only to have the Mexican Permit Sticker removed by a Mexican official, or can I simply apply for another tourist permit for the VW and take it across and then the next time I come to the border just bring my Tahoe with the sticker and have the authorities remove it at that time? They still hold my $400 USD cash bond.

I plan to put both my future wife's name on the VW registration here in the USA so that she can (as a legally registered owner) also drive this VW in Mexico. I planned on every six months driving back to the border to apply for the new permit for the VW. I was going to fly back to Kentucky to get the Tahoe when I would go again a month later to take the Tahoe with me to Mexico.

My thinking was that her name is on the VW registration legally and that she could drive that one and keep renewing the permit every six months and I could also have my Tahoe in Mexico at the same time. Then when business called me back to the USA, I could use the Tahoe and she could use the VW at home in Mexico. Now the big question is this legally possible? If not can I legally import this VW into Mexico (it's fully paid for) and put both her name and my name on the Mexican registration so that I could also drive this VW when I come to Mexico?

I sure could use some advise from those who may have already tried this way to do it.

Thanks a lot.
Robert
A. Robert T.

RickS

Apr 10, 2009, 8:24 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4811 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ximenrobt] Need Advice on Retiring to Mexico & Getting Married to a Mexican National

Robert, I don't know if I followed all of what you were suggesting you might (will, plan on, thinking about...) do, but this may clear it up for you some....

A person can only import ONE U.S. plated car into Mexico at a time. Period. No matter how many you own, you can only have one of them at a time here. This process has been computerized for some time now so 'every' border crossing will have access to that temporary registration information.

I would give you advice about having your intended's name on the VW title and letting her import it, but because she is a National I don't if/how that may affect the rules. If she were your wife, she could drive, in Mexico, any one car you imported but since that isn't going to happen for a couple of years that rule can't apply. Someone more informed than me will speak up about this I'm sure.

You mention that you plan on continuing to drive back to the border (just?) to get another 6-month visa (FM-T) and re-import a vehicle. You may have another reason for doing that but if you got an FM-3 visa, this (driving back to the border) would not be necessary. There are some requirements to get an FM-3 and a much higher cost per year than the FM-T, but.....
Also, you don't have to give a $400 cash bond if you have a credit card with the same exact name as is on your car title.

And BTW, you should be congratulated for winning the North American totality prize...... a Canadian Citizen working for 50 years in the USA and marrying a Mexican National. WOW!

yucatandreamer

Apr 10, 2009, 8:28 PM

Post #3 of 11 (4814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ximenrobt] Need Advice on Retiring to Mexico & Getting Married to a Mexican National

You have some reading to do and Rolly's site is the best place to start. A Mexican national cannot drive a foreign plated car and if you plan to nationalize the vehicle you will need to check that out too. You are only allowed one car and that would be the one that you have the sticker on now. If your wife is a U.S. citizen then she is allowed to import her own car I believe.

ximenrobt

Apr 11, 2009, 6:18 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Need Advice on Retiring to Mexico & Getting Married to a Mexican National

Thanks for your answer. I have read a lot of Rolly's information. He sure knows his stuff! He is a great resource. The other way I was going to do this was to put my brides name on the registration here in the USA. Then I would trailer the VW to Mexico and pay the duty on it. During the time of paying the duty I wa going to put both my name and my lady's name on the import papers thereby allowing the VW to be Mexican plated and allowing both of us to drive this VW in Mexico. Why would this not work?
A. Robert T.

yucatandreamer

Apr 11, 2009, 6:39 AM

Post #5 of 11 (4788 views)

Shortcut

Once you have imported the car and acquired Mexican plates you should be fine. There are people on Mexconnect who know about importing vehicles and I am sure someone will help. Good luck.

jerezano

Apr 11, 2009, 7:56 AM

Post #6 of 11 (4768 views)

Shortcut

Hello ximenrobt,

Welcome to Mexico.

Let's take your questions one by one:

>>>> WOW! Sure hope I can get some answers here!
I am an older fellow and I have finally met "the special one"! We intend on getting married in Mexico, after her divorce is legally complete. She has to wait for a period of two years before we can get married in the church. I am a Canadian living and working (for the past 50 years) in the USA on a Permanente Immigrant Visa.<<<<

There are two types of marriages here in Mexico. One is the legal marriage before civil authorities. The other is a church marriage befor authorities of the Catholic church and the faithful. The church wedding is not legal in Mexico. Common-law marriages of duration are legally recognized..

So far as I know, your potential wife does not have a two year wait after her divorce before she can marry you before the civil marriage. Jennifer Rose has posted here on the forum several times the civil marriage requirements which do involve quite a bit of paper work for foreigners. Suggest you search for them. But it appears to me that you two can legally marry after that paper work is completed.
---------------------------------------------------------
>>>Can I take the VW to her even if I have the Tahoe still under the temporary tourist immigration permit for my Tahoe?<<<<<

NO. You cannot. Under your name you are permitted only one car at a time and that car must be removed from Mexico by passing through any aduana at the border, having your window sticker removed and receiving a free constancia (Proof document) at the bank. You shoud receive your $400 dollar deposit back at the same time.
>>>>I plan to put both my future wife's name on the VW registration here in the USA so that she can (as a legally registered owner) also drive this VW in Mexico.

Yes, that should work. However in Texas, your potential wife must be present to sign the title application. I don't know about other states. If she were already your wife and if she were to have a permanent residence in the US she would as a Mexican citizen have the right to import the VW temporarily into Mexico. However those rules are something with with which I am not too familiar. You would need to check them out thoroughly before you make commitments.
A Mexican citizen NOT a family member is not allowed to drive a foreign plated car unless a foreign person with the same or better visa as you have is in the car with him/her. If married to you, that citizen could drive without your presence.
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>My thinking was that her name is on the VW registration legally and that she could drive that one and keep renewing the permit every six months and I could also have my Tahoe in Mexico at the same time. Then when business called me back to the USA, I could use the Tahoe and she could use the VW at home in Mexico. Now the big question is this legally possible?

Not that I personally can see but there might be such a possiblility. You would need to see a lawyer (abogado) to get an answer.
-----------------------------------------------------------
If married, you might consider leaving the Tahoe or the VW in Mexico on your temporary importation permit for her to drive and traveling back to the border by bus. A solution but involving many inconveniences.
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>>I am a Canadian living and working (for the past 50 years) in the USA on a Permanente Immigrant Visa.

Since you plan to continue with your business here in the USA, maintining that green card is very important. Since you must return to the USA at least once in every six month period (your statement) it would seem that the FMT tourist permit to enter Mexico is your best bet--provided civil marriage requirements in Mexico permit. The FMT will cost you some $20 usd or so every 6 months while the FM3 will cost you over a $100 every year.
--------------------------
Mexican civil marriage requirements. If you find these to be too difficult to work around you might consider getting married at the border. The US used to maintain at the El Paso crossing a chapel where a Mexican citizen not permitted to enter the US could marry a United States citizen. If such a facility still exists you could marry according to US laws.
-------------------------------------------------------
You have also been getting some good advice about your financial situation and type of visa. For more about banking please look for the thread on this forum that talks about Trust of Money and Banks here in Mexico. Also there is plenty of advice about different visas. It appears to me that you would not qualify to apply for an FM2 until you get married as the financial requirements to obtain an FM2 based on an investment in Mexico are quite high. You might check that out as well. Your income if it is stable at the $3800 figure per month is more than sufficient to qualify for an FM3.

jerezano.

Papirex

Apr 11, 2009, 2:37 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4735 views)

Shortcut

Ximenrobt, It seems to me that you are confusing several different car import programs and treating them all as one. The temporary automobile import permit is only available to be used by foreign visitors to México and Mexican citizens that can prove that they do not reside permanently in México. A Mexican that lives in The US and holds a green card would qualify to temporarily import a car into México.

Only one temporary import permit at a time will be issued to any individual, any temporary permit for another car must be canceled by the Mexican government before another permit will be issued. While it is theoretically possible for a Mexican citizen to permanently import a car, after paying very high non-refundable import duties on them, several brokers doing that kind of work have said they are no longer doing it because the Mexican laws are so convoluted that it is almost impossible to comply with them, and as usual, the Mexican government keeps moving the ball.

My Mexican wife and I temporarily imported a total of three US plated cars, one at a time. One of those cars was imported in my wife's name, she has a valid green card and we maintain a residence address in The US. All three of those cars were later nationalized under two different vehicle amnesties that are declared from time to time, on an irregular schedule. There may be another vehicle amnesty in 5 or 10 years and there may never be another. It is not something anyone should plan on happening again.

We presently have just one of the original cars we brought here with us, it has been Mexican registered and has Mexican license plates on it. We bought another new van here in México in 2005, that was cheaper than bringing another vehicle here from The US in my opinion. People that have never bought a car in México tell all kinds of inaccurate stories about buying a car here.

Many late model low mileage (low kilometraje) cars are sold for cheaper prices here than NOB. My insurance is cheaper here, and the annual tenencia (registration) is less than it is in many US States. There is some confusion regarding the tenencia. An additional tax is added to it equal to ten percent of the value of a new car as determined by the government. That additional tax on a new car declines every year and it disappears in ten years. The tenencia never goes away though. Tenencia in Spanish means to hold, or possess, it is the same as an annual registration fee NOB.

As to your pending marriage, a foreigner must ask for permission to marry a Mexican citizen in this country at the local Civil Registro. I don't know what conditions, if any, must be met, but it won't happen until permission is granted.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Rolly

Apr 11, 2009, 2:46 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Need Advice on Retiring to Mexico & Getting Married to a Mexican National

Thank you, Rex. You have it exactly right. I've been watching this thread and hoping someone would set the record straight.

Rolly Pirate

ximenrobt

Apr 11, 2009, 2:51 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4731 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Need Advice on Retiring to Mexico & Getting Married to a Mexican National

Rex:

Thanks for the input. I do know there are several distinct different programs for bringing U.S. Plated cars into Mexico. I was trying to figure out if it is possible for my wife's (not married yet - next trip) name on the car that I am buying in the State of Kentucky. It is possible her for a persons name ot be put on the auto when it is bought, without that person being here. Then to take that used (2002 model) ca on a trailer to (let's say Brownsville, TX) unload it and meet my wife at the Mexican border office in Matamoros and both of us put our names on it after paying the duty so that we could both drive that car with Mexican plates in Mexico. Then I could go back across the borde into T., and get my Tahoe and bring it into Mexico on a Temporary Permit.

It is my understanding that both my name as (for example, say the lein holder) could be on this Mexican registration or as a duel registered owner. So I am wondering if that senerio will fly?

As far as the marriage is concerned we have that one in hand. Thanks.

Robert
A. Robert T.

Rolly

Apr 11, 2009, 3:13 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4724 views)

Shortcut

As Rex reported, this is not a good time to plan on Nationalizing (permanently importing) a car. If it is to be done at all, the title must be in the name of a Mexican citizen alone.

You can legally drive a Mexican plated car without having your name on the title. And your Mexican wife can drive alone in your US plated car, but your girlfriend cannot.

Forget the idea of bringing a car from the USA for her. Buy her a car in México and save yourself a lot of grief.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Apr 11, 2009, 8:57 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4689 views)

Shortcut

I meant to post this reply so everyone could see it, but I guess I clicked on the wrong reply button and it went as a PM to the OP. Here is is for everybody to read.

It doesn't matter how many names are on the US registration papers as long as the one person applying for the temporary vehicle import permit is at least listed as a co-owner and is qualified under Mexican law to obtain a temporary vehicle import permit. The bottom line is: one person, one car, one permit. No exceptions. No matter how logical your argument may be, Mexican government officials and most agents for private companies are allowed absolutely no discretion to make any decisions on their own authority. They will follow the rules as set out to them. Bet the rent.

People have been trying to figure out a way around these laws for decades. No one has succeeded yet. It is definitely a different culture down here.

Sorry, but the disappointing truth is as Rolly said, save yourself some heartburn and buy a car locally if two cars are really necessary. Remember, down here you must list all the drivers for your cars with your insurance company or they are uninsured. Most insurance companies down here do not automatically cover all licensed drivers for your cars.

Look here: http://vehiculos.mercadolibre.com.mx/...moviles-y-camionetas I would suggest that you drive your Tahoe down here and if you find a car that interests you in a nearby city or state, drive over to look at it, otherwise you will be buying sight unseen, Some of the prices for these cars are negotiable. Most are not. A few of the sellers will deliver them to other places for an extra charge, which is never revealed. You will need to contact one of the sellers to find out what the charge for delivery will be. If you do it that way, I think you will be buying sight unseen also.

Good luck, Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4