Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Rolly

Apr 10, 2009, 6:15 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5337 views)

Shortcut

Two Shrimp Dishes

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good Friday turned out to be a really good Friday at Adriana's house as she made two shrimp dishes -- Camarónes del Dialbo (deviled shrimp) and Camarónes Mojo de Ajo (garlic shrimp).

http://rollybrook.com/ar-shrimp.htm

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Apr 11, 2009, 8:08 AM

Post #2 of 8 (5321 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Two Shrimp Dishes

Even though by tomorrow, Easter Sunday, everyone will be back at the beef and pork, Hubby and I plan to celebrate the day by purchasing about two kilos of large headless shrimp from our local Soriana and simply boiling them in a very picante pot of seasoned water. We will add his special seafood sauce--enough horseradish to leave us breathless--and a bottle of white wine. No, actually a big box of the cheap stuff. Great way to spend the day reflecting on the many blessings we have in our lives.

tashby

Apr 11, 2009, 10:03 AM

Post #3 of 8 (5315 views)

Shortcut

Ooooh, yum. We get big, beautiful shrimp from San Blas at the local Tianguis. I think I'm going to have to try these out.

I may need to add more than just a pinch of the chile powder to the first recipe. I like me my Shrimp a la Diabla picante!

Thanks to you and Adriana!

sergiogomez

Apr 11, 2009, 2:34 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5302 views)

Shortcut

Looking at those pictures makes me wish I hadn't already eaten the shrimp I bought this week. Maybe I'll make the camarones a la diabla next week, since I'm too lazy to go to the store today. Or a nice oversized coctel de camarones.

Connoisseurs would probably laugh at me, but I think "cheap" boxed wine tastes a lot better than most of the bottled stuff. Not like I'm what you would call a classy wine drinker. I've never owned a corkscrew, so the one time I bought a bottle of corked wine (by mistake), I opened it with a screwdriver. You never have that problem with boxed wine.

Just a note, battered foods are never quite the same reheated, but the best method I've found to keep them crispy is to reheat them on a rack in a moderate oven, no hotter than 350 F. It takes some patience, because you have to wait 10-15 minutes and flip the food at least once, but the end result is a lot better than what you get out of the microwave.

ms mac

Apr 11, 2009, 5:55 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Two Shrimp Dishes

I have to agree on the boxed wines, which usually get snubbed. I've bought some fairly expensive (not real expensive) bottled wines, but find Franzia's Sunset Blush wine much better.
ms mac

Carron

Apr 14, 2009, 12:53 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] Two Shrimp Dishes

A box of Franzia's Chardonnay just saw me through the weekend quite nicely, thank you.

I had a dear friend in Houston who was the much younger, middle class, trophy wife of a wealthy older man. Unfortunately her entertaining was often cramped by his alimony payments to several other wives who had preceded her. She always said that as long as she served boxed wines in her (his) fanciest cut crystal decanters their guests never knew the difference.

Jetski

Apr 14, 2009, 3:41 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5223 views)

Shortcut

Camarónes al Diablo became one of our favorite dishes after having it at a Guadalajara seafood restaurant many years ago, when nothing comparable was available in Mazatlan although known as the shrimp capital of Mexico. After several tries asking to get the recipe with we finally got a friendly waitress who gave us the 'secret' of that seafood puestos preparation.

Cook up some butter with lots of garlic and chopped onions, add a bottle or two of Salsa Huichol depending on the amount of heat wanted, add a couple or more cups of liquid from cooking the camarónes and some maizena mixed in cold shrimp broth to thicken the sauce. Throw in some boiled shrimp, reheat and it's ready to serve with a side of rice. :-)

(This post was edited by Jetski on Apr 15, 2009, 5:51 AM)

sergiogomez

Apr 15, 2009, 12:50 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Two Shrimp Dishes

Reminds me of a study I read once where people said a drink tasted better based on the bottle it was in; the stuff inside was exactly the same.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4