First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

KJR42

Apr 9, 2009, 10:49 AM

Post #1 of 41 (8130 views)

Shortcut

Help appreciated in location choice!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Dear members,
I have joined this forum because my wife and I have finally decided that Mexico will be our retirement goal, after much debate!!
Where I would really appreciate your help is deciding upon which locations we should narrow our search to.
if you will indulge us I will give some background that will hopefully allow you to recommend a number of locales.

Firstly we are British, currently living and working in Singapore after 5 years in Dubai, this is relevant to show you we are warm weather advocates and do not want to be anywhere cold in the winter, although in Singapore we do miss the seasonal changes.
we are happy in 30C+ with humidity in the summer but would like to see some cooler weather in the winter such as daytime temp of 20C+. we do not mind the rain either at any time.

Now, we have been to Mexico on holiday but we do not want that to cloud our judgement on where we should consider. we spent a holiday in Playa Del Carmen and adored everything, but I suppose we all mostly enjoy holidays!
Our budgets (world economy permitting) would be US$400-$500K for a property and a monthly allowance of hopefully $4,000-$5,000 pension. As we will be in our 60's upon retirement we are considering a 3 bed single storey home within reasonable reach of good healthcare (say 1 hour), although currently our health is fine. Whether by the coast or a lake is still an ongoing debate, but sea fishing is something I am trying to get on 'my' list of desirables!!!! as well as buying a boat :-)
We are still undecided if we want to live in a gated community or somewhere less formal as we are undecided if we want to be heavily involved in an expat lifestyle (sounds rude I know) or not. Opinions appreciated! We really want to immerse ourselves in local culture, language and lifestyle.

Finally, and I apologize for droning on and my use of a British dictionary :-) We are looking to visit next year or the year after for 4 weeks and spend a week in 4 different locations (our short list) to try and 'get a feel' for a particular location.
We currently have the following as a start;
1. Mazatlán
2. Puerto Vallarta
3. Manzanillo
4. Acapulco

This (in no particular order) is our initial thoughts as it would make driving the route a bit easier. However we are relying on you good people to put us 'newbies' straight and tell us what we are missing!!

We thank you in advance for your thoughtful replies and hope to talk to many of you in the future.

bournemouth

Apr 9, 2009, 11:09 AM

Post #2 of 41 (8104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [KJR42] Help appreciated in location choice!

I note that you only have coastal locations on your short list of places to visit. Why now chop out one coastal place, and take a detour inland to other hot spots for retirees such as San Miguel de Allende and the Lake Chapala region. If it were me opting, I would cut out Puerto Vallarta simply because we do not find it pleasant there, fighting off hordes of time share salesmen etc. Manzanillo is a real working town (I'm including all the periferal towns of Salagua, Santiago and Miramar etc) with a port and lots of fishing - we have a soft spot for it. Others will tell you they hate it - it's up to everyone to make a choice. Mazatlan is a place that grows on one with a charming centro historico. Again lots of fishing. Acapulco, for me, is too close to Mexico City and is overrun on weekends. The cleanliness of the water there leaves much to be desired.

Your current budget will allow you to house yourselves and live comfortably anywhere in Mexico. Health care in Mexico is good. Guadalajara has world class health care - I'm sure Mexico City does too, plus other major cities - it just happens that Guadalajara is what I know.

The rainy season in most parts of Mexico comes during the summer months. With luck we may have some winter rains in February. One truly appreciates the rains when they arrive.

Good luck - I'm sure a lot of other folks will have input for you.

Hound Dog

Apr 9, 2009, 11:17 AM

Post #3 of 41 (8100 views)

Shortcut

OK. Here goes:

On the Yucatan Peninsula:
Merida
Lake Bacalar
Campeche

Other Southern Mexico:
The Huatulco area of Oaxaca State. Any number of locations.
Puerto Arista or Boca del Cielo or (the big city of) Tapachula in Chiapas. All funky but fun.
Tuxtla Gutierrez the capital of Chiapas. A great tropical town about three hours from the Pacific
Palenque, Chiapas

Veracruz State:
The Orizaba/Cordoba/Fortin de Las Flores Area
The Tuxtlas or Lake Catemaco
Tlacotalpan
Xalapa

Also:
Colima
Oaxaca City
Puerto Morelos

The places you mentioned are a bit dull.

Rolly

Apr 9, 2009, 11:19 AM

Post #4 of 41 (8099 views)

Shortcut

I too am a fan of Manzanillo. You might want to consider Colima. It's an hour inland from Manzanillo. It's the capital of Colima state and a major university town with lots of cultural activities. It's a couple of hours from Guadalajara.

I also would scratch PV and Acapulco.

Rolly Pirate

husker

Apr 9, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #5 of 41 (8084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Help appreciated in location choice!

To add to Bubba's state of veracruz Boca del Rio temps would be about right

(This post was edited by husker on Apr 9, 2009, 1:44 PM)

RickS

Apr 9, 2009, 1:58 PM

Post #6 of 41 (8080 views)

Shortcut

Just as a reminder, the OP gave us a set of criteria. Sticking to those would probably be of most value to them. Some of them were:

* Warm weather advocates...Heat & humidity (30+) not a problem, but doesn't want to be 'anywhere cold in the winter' (20+ daytime preferred).

* Within 1 hour of good healthcare

* Sea fishing (with 4 !'s) and buying a boat is high on Mr.'s list of desirables

These would seem to 'rule out' some of the suggestions already given. And although I am surely no fan of Puerto Vallarta proper, I would not rule out that general vicinity as it meets quite nicely all of their major criteria.

You are wise to physically check out your final short list.... some would say that one week in each place is too short a time. Others would even suggest that you, if it is do-able, actually live in a couple of them (renting) prior to your final decision. Seasons can make a whale of a difference in some places.

BTW, KJR42, care to share what other countries made your short list ..... 'after much debate'.

morgaine7

Apr 9, 2009, 2:06 PM

Post #7 of 41 (8075 views)

Shortcut

You might also want to look at La Paz, Baja California Sur. Far from the US border, not too touristy, not too cold, and fishing is supposed to be great. I relocated from Cairo, Egypt after a search process similar to yours, and I'm very happy here.

Kate

Hound Dog

Apr 9, 2009, 2:50 PM

Post #8 of 41 (8067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [husker] Help appreciated in location choice!

To add to Bubba's state of veracruz Boca del Rio temps would be about right

Boca del Rio (suburban Veracruz City on the south). Damn fine place in almost every respect if you can take the heat.

There must have been other places I forgot. Look here for further enlightenment when the brain of Bubba functions appropriately.

If you can take places where English speakers are few and far between then this beautiful country will blow you away.

raferguson

Apr 9, 2009, 3:36 PM

Post #9 of 41 (8056 views)

Shortcut

Lots of good suggestions.

Veracruz City is a favorite place for us, Boca del Rio is kind of a suburb. The Veracruzanos are really nice. Veracruz is a big city, but not many Americans there. The only Americans I remember meeting in Veracruz city were residents of Mexico in Veracruz for vacation! (They know what is good).

Remember that hurricanes can wreak havoc in any coastal area, especially on the Gulf of Mexico side.

La Paz is nice, people very friendly, polite, and patient, on the east side of the peninsula.

We liked Catemaco very much, but not sure about health care there, kind of a small town, not super prosperous. However, between Catemaco, and both Tuxtlas, you should be able to find decent care.

We have not spent much time in Colima, but liked it. A small university town, kind of tidy.

We were told to skip Tuxtla Gutierez, but we enjoyed a few days there.

I tend to avoid places with lots of Americans, so PV and the other major beach resorts are not favorites of mine. Obviously if you avoid the beach resorts, many of the places we are talking about more or less require some Spanish. English is not widely spoken in places like Catemaco or Tuxtla Gutierez.

Have fun exploring!

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

KJR42

Apr 9, 2009, 9:34 PM

Post #10 of 41 (7998 views)

Shortcut

Dear all,
Many, many thanks for your much appreciated input. We will, with your indulgence, try to address your comments individually, albeit briefly.
Dear Bournemouth
PV seems to be a common 'no no' on most replies and this is exactly the info we need. We will be striking this from our list. San Miguel de Allende & Lake Chapala were places we looked at and have not discounted.
Dear Hound Dog,
A great list for us to research and we will respond accordingly in time. When you say dull? in what respect please?
Dear Rolly,
Love your web site by the way!! Acapulco was again added purely because of the route we initially thought of and were hoping surrounding areas might be more appealing.
Dear Husker,
Veracruz has been mentioned a few times and is somewhere we will look at.
Dear RickS,
Sea fishing is a desirable but wife is fighting hard :-) as she thinks it will limit our choices, begrudgingly I do agree, but being a man I am still resisting for no good reason!!
Totally agree with a week being too short, but we just want to discover first. we were of the mind that if we narrowed down to 2 we could then return and spend 2 weeks in 2 locations and finally spend a month in 1 location over the coming few years. we still have a few years before retirement but we want a fixed goal and location to aim for to incentivize us. Does this make sense?
our other countries we considered hard were;
Belize - Which was the last to be discounted, due to health availability and Govt. failure to continue retirement incentives
Thailand - discounted due to land laws
Argentina - After research could not decide on suitable location
Greece - Island living sounds desirable but ultimately not for us as we are not sun worshippers (just enjoy warmer weather)
Caribbean - too expensive and same reasons as Greece
New Zealand - Non existent set-up for retirees.
Dear Morgaine7,
We looked at Baja California Sur, but quickly discounted it thinking it too touristy and lacking in culture. Are we wrong?
Dear Hound Dog (again),
We will look into Boca Del Rio and Veracruz in general. Lack of English should not be a problem as we are going to study Mexican Spanish and my Spanish (whilst rusty) has gotten us by in many Spanish speaking places.
Dear Richard,
Are hurricanes that common? my wife did express concern on this. Could you please add what the other Tuxtla is you refer to?
Dear Frosti,
many thanks for the advice, South of Veracruz certainly seems to have support here.

I should have mentioned we do not lie on the beach, but prefer to walk and are renowned for going for a 1 hour walk, taking a wrong turn and ending up walking for 5 hours!! We both want to become more serious in our photography, both avid cooks and are not concerned about having the trappings of home such as Heinz, home newspapers, waffles or other foods that remind people of home. We also wish to rectify something that may have been misconstrued. We do not wish never to see an expat, it is just we do not want to live in a expat gated community, expats within the vicinity would be great as my wife would love to start a Mah Jongg group!!

Thank you all once again, we will report back and no doubt seek more advice in the months ahead. please keep the advice coming and we would love suggestions via email at kjrandlr@gmail.com

Now we are going to delve deeper!!
“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”Anatole France - French Author

Regards
Kev & Debbie

donemry

Apr 10, 2009, 5:49 AM

Post #11 of 41 (7984 views)

Shortcut

Since no one who actually lives in PV has spoken, I will.

PV is not overrun with timeshare salesmen. If you are doing the "touristy" things, you may encounter them.

PV is actually the commercial center in a coastal area that extends for about 75 miles north and south and 30 miles or so inland. Within that area, you have mountains, beaches and farmland. Small towns inland and on the beach and crossroads villages and large commercial areas near and in Vallarta.

If you visit central Vallarta and you do not have a "tourist mindset" you could find yourself overwhelmed/disconcerted as tourism is the business here. However, if you explore north or south of PV, then you will find us snowbirds. If you look inland from the beaches, you will find the expats.

So, I would urge you to put PV back on your list for a visit.

ken_in_dfw

Apr 10, 2009, 7:43 AM

Post #12 of 41 (7962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Help appreciated in location choice!

Can't Post |
You beat me to a post and I'm glad of it - as you have the perspective of someone who actually lives there. I've just visited friends there on several occasions.

But my comments are pretty similar. Which Puerto Vallarta are we talking about? The one on the north side of Centro, with hotels, fast food restaurants and "tourist services" chock-a-block? Or the cobblestone-streeted one south of the Rio Cuale, with little cafes and bougainvillea-covered hillsides?

And, as donemry points out, there are loads of charming villages dotting the coast north and south, as well as inland. The other thing that PV has, which the OP stated as a criterion, is good health care.

Personally, having lived in burnt-to-a-crisp Texas for the past 20 years, I'm looking for a climate that provides at least some cool nights on occasion. PV is a bit too much like Charleston, South Carolina or New Orleans from July to October for my tastes. But I know there are many who thrive in that climate. I think you could do worse than life around Bahia de las Banderas.

morgaine7

Apr 10, 2009, 8:18 AM

Post #13 of 41 (7956 views)

Shortcut

We looked at Baja California Sur, but quickly discounted it thinking it too touristy and lacking in culture. Are we wrong?

Much of this reputation undoubtedly comes from Cabo San Lucas, which is considered to be very touristy (and very expensive). La Paz is substantially less so. Tourism here is primarily yachting, fishing, diving, etc., and is generally "eco-tourism". Nobody comes for the night life, and there's not even a functioning golf course yet, although I'm told that a couple are planned. As well as foreigners, we get Mexican vacationers from the mainland. But this is primarily a working city, and outside the small tourist zones along the bay, you won't see an abundance of foreigners or hear English widely spoken. There are a few thousand full- or part-time expats, but with a population of about 200,000, we tend to blend in. A couple of newer developments outside of town are predominanly expat, but central La Paz neighborhoods are well established and primarily Mexican. You can be as involved or uninvolved with the expat community as you wish.

As for culture, it depends on what you're looking for. You won't find many grand colonial homes and winding cobblestone streets as in some areas of the mainland, nor is there a large indigenous Mexican population. But there is quite a bit going on. To get an idea, you might have a look at this site: http://rozinlapaz.blogspot.com/.

Good luck in your search!

Kate

jerezano

Apr 10, 2009, 8:20 AM

Post #14 of 41 (7957 views)

Shortcut

Re KJR42 Help appreciated in location choice.

Hello KJR42

First of all I note from your reirement income and desire to buy a house in the $400K to $500K range that you are not considering economic problems as a reason to retire in Mexico or elsewhere.

I have no idea why you finally decided on Mexico. Perhaps you should rethink that.

You are British citizens. Are you from England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland or one of the Dominions? Do you have ties to your home country? So the first question, if you have those ties is where would it be most convenient to settle that would have quick and inexpensive ways to get back to the home country in an emergency. Or for family from those locations to visit you.

You say you are deeply interested in sea fishing. So why not one of the British Carribean areas. If not British then one or more of the other paradises renowned for climate and for fishing. Jamaica comes to mind immediately. If you are interested in learning and using Spanish then Cuba immediately pops up. Then some of the other Carribean Island Republics. Most of those areas have good medical care as well as some of the Central American countries. And of course Puerto Rico demands consideration.

You say that Belize, an English speaking country, was dropped from your list because of lack of retirement incentives, whatever that means. So far as I know Mexico offers no retirement incentives either. Some of the other Central American countries such as Nicaragua, Costa Rica and perhaps even Guatamala merit consideration. Panamá offers many attractions.

You say that Tailand was dropped from your list because of land ownership problems. Have you considered the problems of land ownership here in Mexico? You may not own oughtright any land within 50 kilometers of the coast or a frontier. That land can only be controled by you by establishing a corporation or under a 50 year renewable land rental contract (trust arrangement) What is known here as a fideocomiso. Too, wherever you want to buy inland in Mexico you, as a foreigner, must receive permission from the Federal government to buy that property. No problem but much paperwork and the Mexican beaurocracy can be difficult to work with.

Getting back to Mexico deep sea fishing is much better along the Pacific coast than the gulf coast. Or for that matter the Carribean. Mazatlán is good. Baja California is good but communication to outside areas is difficult. The Ixtapa-Zihuatenejo area is excellent if you choose to live in the old section away from the tourist area. The Puerto Vallarata area is good, but as some other posters have advised Puerto Vallerta itself and environs is tourism personified. North along the Costa Alegre such as Becerías or farther north such as La Manzanilla might be considered. One of the problems with living on the coast in the tropics is the terrible heat in the summer time (someone mentioned that about Mérida).

Now you just might consider Tepic, Nayarit. It is at about 2000 ft altitude so the heat of the tropics is a bit ameliorated. Climate is much akin to Honolulu, Hawaii. It is one hour or so from the nearest beaches. Nearby San Blas has fishing boats which can be chartered for day tours, etc. In comparison with Colima, Colima, Tepic, in my opinion, wins. Furthermore the gringo presence is almost negligible and so far there is no tourism problem.

Come to Mexico. Enjoy. But as someone else has mentioned a week is not even sufficient to explore any location. But some of the people living in Bucerías decided after only one day.

Hasta luego, jerezano

Hound Dog

Apr 10, 2009, 8:27 AM

Post #15 of 41 (7955 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kenhjr] Help appreciated in location choice!

Personally, having lived in burnt-to-a-crisp Texas for the past 20 years, I'm looking for a climate that provides at least some cool nights on occasion. PV is a bit too much like Charleston, South Carolina or New Orleans from July to October for my tastes.

Do you really mean that, Ken?

Charleston or New Orleans from July to October?

Well OK, as a Mobile boy, I think I realize what you mean since October is when the miserable climate in those parts breaks and becomes bearable.

This ole boy moves to Seattle and buys a really nice home overlooking Puget Sound and he is happy to be in this fine and beautiful city but here he has been for three months and it rains and rains every day and he is sick of it so he spots his neighbor one day working in the yard and he approaches him and inquires:

"Say, does it ever stop raining here?"

His neighbor responds:

"Damn if I know. I´ve only been here for five years."

BattaBing.

Thank you, Jesus, for Mexico.

Hound Dog

Apr 10, 2009, 8:43 AM

Post #16 of 41 (7946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Help appreciated in location choice!

We were told to skip Tuxtla Gutierez, but we enjoyed a few days there.

Richard:

Certainly an underrated city of about 1,000,000 people that grew like Topsy since the 1950s. Tropical decadence, everybody dressed like Che Guevara on his day off, great restaurants and nightlife, fabulous marimba music straight from Central America, charming homes with gardens that can be bought for a song, good tropical climate with pleasing breezes in the most pleasant parts of town, magnificent scenic valley location with heroic views, 45 minutes from charming, colonial San Cristobal de Las Casas, 15 minutes from historic Chiapa de Corzo and the Sumidero Canyon, within two hours of the sea, and on and on.

We should have moved there rather than the Jovel Valley in the Chiapas Highlands. Want to buy a house?

KJR42

Apr 10, 2009, 9:18 AM

Post #17 of 41 (7930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Re KJR42 Help appreciated in location choice.

Hi Jerezano,
Thank you for the detailed response and interesting points. I hopefully can address these.
We decided upon Mexico because of our extensive travel. I have spent 20 years travelling the world working, 1 year Brazil, 6 months in Jamaica, 10 months in Suriname, 3 months in Guyana, 6 months in Oman, 6 months in Jordan, 5 years in Dubai, 1 year (and still here) in Singapore and many other places. About 50 countries in all. Mexico was one place having visited we fell in love with, the Americas would be fantastic for us to see and Mexico seems a great central location. We both have minimal family, both with parents, who are living their lives (my mother lives in Spain, wife's mother lives on the south coast in England) so being close to the UK is not an issue as we have lived the last 6 years away, visiting once a year. Mexico would be a shorter trip to the UK anyway than Singapore!!
With regards to Island living, I have stated earlier that we believe that Island living is not for us as this restricts our ability to explore easily.
Belize was finally not considered after the Govt. failed to progress their 2002 law to attract retirement candidates with incentives. Mexico offers zero income tax, zero capital gains tax for retired people. Healthcare also played an important factor. Smaller central American countries we considered, but have never been to. Guatemala, Nicaragua historically were unstable and we cannot follow every country's progression on how they have reformed or their growth so we did not consider these, Panama we looked at but did not see much attraction and Costa Rica (like Aruba) were over commercialized.

Thailand was dropped because you cannot own the land and have to renew every 30 years, which if the owner felt like, could be rejected at any time the lease expired. You could perhaps set up a shell company with nominal Thai directors who sign all shares over to you and then buy the land in the company name. BUT due to the instability why take the risk that this loophole would not be closed? Mexico's fideocomiso seems a lot more stringent (50 years not 30) in that the banks hold the deed's, not a single person who could try to profit by removing your entitlement.

Trust me, having spent 5 years in Dubai, the paperwork in Mexico will seem like a walk in the park. EXAMPLE;- We were married in the Bahamas. By UAE law all marriage/education/birth certificates have to attested at source (Bahamas), then attested by the UK Foreign and Commonweath office, then buy the source country's embassy in London (Bahamian Embassy) and then by the UAE Embassy in London and finally attested twice in UAE. We even had a good friend from the North of England travel to London to pursue the attestation due to the slowness.
Marriage certificate attestation time TWO YEARS. This meant that for 2 years, every 3 months we would have to (wife specifically) leave the UAE and re-enter to renew our visas.

Many thanks for the location tips, we look forward to investigating. With regards to weather Dubai is normally 48C in the summer with 80% humidity (May to September) and Singapore is year round 28-32C with roughly 90% humidity. Not sure how that compares to regions of Mexico, but we refer to weather underground web site for reference for specific areas. Obviously Dubai is unbearable in the summer and Singapore has no seasons.

Fully agree 1 week is not enough to explore any location. However 1 week is better than making a judgement on having never been. We (after good advice here) realise it would be far more prudent to rent for a number of months when we arrive and if we do not like, move and try somewhere else. the only issue with this is storing our belongings, but we have time and we will find a solution. Primarily we need to start somewhere and a 1 month trip with 4 locations seems a good starting point.

As a footnote you would not believe the cost of living in Singapore!! so far the most expensive beer i had the misfortune to order cost US$20 with the average being US$14, unless you can find a happy hour!!
Regards
Kev & Debbie

KJR42

Apr 10, 2009, 9:21 AM

Post #18 of 41 (7931 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Help appreciated in location choice!

Hi Donemry,
thanks for the input. Will certainly consider what you have said.

raferguson

Apr 10, 2009, 11:50 AM

Post #19 of 41 (7903 views)

Shortcut

Hurricanes are a threat almost anywhere on the Gulf Coast. Think Katrina in New Orleans and Mississippi. Cancun got heavily damaged a few years ago. The big threat is usually right next to the coast, but the storm surge can go miles and miles inland. In Mississippi, the storm surge left nothing but the foundations, and these were not houses on the water. I believe that the Pacific coast is not immune either. A well constructed house 40 feet above sea level gives you a very good shot to ride it out. Katrina had a 25 foot storm surge. It should be a consideration, perhaps not in terms of selecting what city to live in, but what house to buy.

While I am talking hazards, large parts of Mexico have significant earthquake risk. Volcanoes and the ring of fire. I remember seeing a lot of damage after an earthquake in Barra de Navidad, north of Manzanillo.

Tuxtla Gutierez, Chiapas, others have discussed.

San Andres Tuxtla and Santiago Tuxtla are near Catemaco, Veracruz. When we were in Catemaco we did our major grocery shopping in Santiago Tuxtla.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

MazDee

Apr 10, 2009, 10:08 PM

Post #20 of 41 (7839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [KJR42] Re KJR42 Help appreciated in location choice.

I hope Mazatlán still is on your list. It is a lovely city with lots to offer. I have been here very happily for almost 7 years, and while I do dream about cooler (actually, less humid) summer weather, I have never found another place where I would be happier year round. And, based on where you have lived, our summer will be a piece of cake. As for hurricanes, they have happened here, but not often and not recently. We hide behind the tip of Baja, so maybe that helps. A couple of years ago, the edge of one whizzed by us, across Baja and then north, hitting us with some very strong winds. I was off travelling, as I often do in summer, but reports are that some palapa roofs got blown off, there was some flooding in the streets, some signs were blown down.....nothing as bad as what I experienced in Oregon back in the 60's when the so-called Columbus Day Storm went through 3 states on the west coast of the US! (Hound Dog may remember that.) You will find a welcoming and friendly Mexican population, perhaps the most hospitable I have seen in this whole country. And, a group of expats (and of course winter snowbirds) who will offer any kind of assistance you need to find your way around. Whether you decide to stay will be up to you, but please visit. And, unless you prefer the glitz and glamour of Vallarta and Acapulco, spend your time in the Centro Historico instead of the beach resorts. Visit our English library and beautiful theater. I could go on. It is lovely and friendly here. Dee

ms mac

Apr 11, 2009, 6:01 AM

Post #21 of 41 (7823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Re KJR42 Help appreciated in location choice.

I agree with Dee, although I'm only a snowbird. Uncle Donnie (Don Adams) steered me towards Mazatlan, and I've never regretted it. Beautiful place, lovely people.
ms mac

(This post was edited by ms mac on Apr 11, 2009, 6:02 AM)

sioux4noff

Apr 12, 2009, 8:18 PM

Post #22 of 41 (7711 views)

Shortcut

PV seems to be a common 'no no' on most replies and this is exactly the info we need. We will be striking this from our list.

We've lived in Bucerias, Nayarit, just north of Puerto Vallarta for 3 1/2 years. We love it, as do many others who live here.
There are indeed quite a few people from the US and Canada, especially in the winter.
All those who poo-poo the Vallarta area don't live here. Considering how many people do live here, it must have something going for it.
One thing I have never understood is the level of snobbery expats often have. Those in San Miguel look down on ajijic, those in Ajijic look down on Vallarta, people who live in more remote areas seem to think they are morally superior to those in touristy areas.
I figure it's a big world and everyone has his or her own types of places they like. It's sure not my place to denigrate anyone's choice of location.
By the way, the fishing is great in the Vallarta area.

Papirex

Apr 12, 2009, 8:36 PM

Post #23 of 41 (7704 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Help appreciated in location choice!

I think you're right. Personally, I don't care where anyone else lives. I do think it is a mistake to simply follow the herd to a place where there are lots of English speakers and a newcomer will spend the first few years in their new home trying to fit in and be “one of the gang.”

If a newcomer is looking for a perpetual vacation, they are not going to find it.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

RickS

Apr 13, 2009, 2:49 PM

Post #24 of 41 (7654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Help appreciated in location choice!

I figure it's a big world and everyone has his or her own types of places they like. It's sure not my place to denigrate anyone's choice of location.

Well, I'm with sioux4noff on this one. Rex's opinion, of which he is certainly entitled to have, that 'it is a mistake to simply follow the herd' assumes that that is just what everyone who ventures down to, say, a Lake Chapala or San Miguel is doing. IMO, it is not a mistake (how could it be a mistake?) but merely what these folks have chosen to do. And to assume that they will 'spend the first few years... trying to fit in and be one of the gang' is also a huge leap. I personally, and many of my friends, could give a flying ... about 'fitting in' or being a part of any gang. We make a choice, just like Rex made a choice, and neither of us is 'right' or mistaken for doing so.

Viva la diferencia

brooklyn

May 11, 2009, 7:53 AM

Post #25 of 41 (7448 views)

Shortcut

We really like Mazatlan and had considered it as a retirement destination, but found a problem locating a place to buy.

North of the City there are plenty of resort condominiums, but these seemed to lack charm - you could be anywhere in the Caribbean, Florida, whatever.

Downtown Mazatlan has plenty of houses, some quite reasonably priced. The problem is that so many of them are a mess, particularly inside - they look like Zapata quartered his troops there about 90 years go, and they haven't been touched since. If you like extensive renovations, this might be good for you.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4