Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Apr 10, 2009, 3:16 PM

Post #1 of 62 (18485 views)

Shortcut

National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
According to this article in El Universal, beginning today, purchasers of new cell phones must provide their name and address, valid photo ID, proof of current residence, and allow their fingerprint to be taken.

If you already own a cell phone, you have one year to contact your mobile carrier and give them the same information. If you fail to do so, your service will be canceled with no way to get it back!

This is supposedly an anti-crime measure to fight kidnapping and extortion, but whoa! Sure sounds like Big Brother has come to Mexico...

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/590185.html

FWIW,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings..."

Riverman

Apr 11, 2009, 6:39 PM

Post #2 of 62 (18436 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimpatsu_hekigan] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply

Does this mean that now a visitor can't buy a SIM card, to use with their NOB phone, to use while on holiday or on a fact finding trip?
I hope not because my "pay as you go" phone plan from Canada won't work here.

Rolly

Mar 15, 2010, 10:09 AM

Post #3 of 62 (17449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
A reminder that your cell phone must be registered before 11 April 2010. If you bought it in México after 10 April 2009, it was registered when you bought it.

To register, go see your service provider.

Rolly Pirate

morgaine7

Mar 15, 2010, 10:43 AM

Post #4 of 62 (17421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
It's best to verify registration, even if your phone is post-April 2009. I bought mine in September 2009 (at the Telcel center) and it wasn't registered.

Kate

Zorba

Mar 15, 2010, 11:21 AM

Post #5 of 62 (17406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
You can still buy a SIMM card as a visitor. I did it this summer. You just have to give a copy of your passport.

This will likely have as much effect on the criminals as the gun laws. None. They will probably find a way around it. Just one possibility is that they use SIMM cards from Guatemala instead of Mexico.

In fact it might work against us. Now corrupt individuals in the system can sell the criminals your phone number and address in order to kidnap and extort.

(This post was edited by Zorba on Mar 15, 2010, 11:27 AM)

gpkgto

Mar 15, 2010, 12:15 PM

Post #6 of 62 (17379 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The news said only half of the 80+ million cell phones in Mexico have been registered--the deadline will almost certainly be delayed.

tashby

Mar 15, 2010, 3:22 PM

Post #7 of 62 (17349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply

the deadline will almost certainly be delayed.

A delay in Mexico? You must be kidding.

Here's a spooky thought: What if there isn't a deadline extension and all those 40 million customers, give or take a few million, have to buy new SIM cards and get new phone numbers? I wonder where that would put Sr. Slim on the Forbes moneybags list.

If, by the way, you happen to be a Telcel customer you can register the phone by sending a text message. The message you send is "ALTA.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and you send it to 2877. The "xxxxxxx" represents your very lengthly CURP number. Notice the punto between the letters "Alta" and your CURP. If you've successfully done it they send you a confirmation message saying "El number 0000000000 ha quedado registrado con la CURP xxxxxxxxxxxx."

I got my CURP # at the local Registro Civil in Ajijic. Original passport and FM3, with copies of face pages and prorrogas page was all I needed. Painless.

That's all I know. Please don't ask me if your cell phone has already been registered because back when you bought it they took copies of your passport along with a specimen sample. I have no idea.

I just follow directions like a good boy.

Anonimo

Mar 15, 2010, 4:29 PM

Post #8 of 62 (17323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
The Pátzcuaro Registro Civíl requires an apostilled Acta de Nacimiento en el caso de nosotros los extranjeros para obtener una CURP.

So I am told by an informed fellow ex-pat.

Our phones were bought in 2007, and although I was thinking of getting a new one, I now hesitate to do so.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Mar 15, 2010, 4:29 PM)

mazbook1

Mar 15, 2010, 4:41 PM

Post #9 of 62 (17316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
Anonimo,

That's the first time I've heard of that. Since the Registro Civil is NOT who actually issues the CURP, why not try getting it at Hacienda, the tax office. They gave me mine on the spot (with copies of my passport and FM3) when I applied.

tashby's method of registering, just sending the text message he gave to the 4 digit number (for TelCel) works like a charm. I just did it and without moving from in front of my computer it took a whole 3 or 4 minutes, including the time waiting for the confirmation.

morgaine7

Mar 15, 2010, 5:12 PM

Post #10 of 62 (17299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
The INM website says that FM2 holders get the CURP there, but that doesn't work in La Paz. INM sent me to the Registro Civil and said just to show my FM2. The RC folks acted as if they'd never seen an FM2 and at first told me it was expired. I had to point out the page with the current renewal, but once they saw it was valid, I had the CURP in a few minutes. I then registered the phone with Telcel exactly as Tashby described.

Kate

tashby

Mar 15, 2010, 5:35 PM

Post #11 of 62 (17288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply

In Reply To
The Pátzcuaro Registro Civíl requires an apostilled Acta de Nacimiento en el caso de nosotros los extranjeros para obtener una CURP.

There's some noise in this neck of the woods that a guy who went to the Chapala Registro Civil was asked for a certified copy of his birth certificate, too. Not my experience in Ajijic, just 3 miles down the road. (Two offices....two different answers??? How could that be???)

The thing is, there are so many ex-pats in this area that become so addled so quickly when faced with a little Mexican beauracracy that you never know whether to believe their version of "truth" or not.

Lots of misinformation shared very, very freely in this neighborhood. Around here it's always best to check the local outlet yourself.

richmx2

Mar 15, 2010, 6:10 PM

Post #12 of 62 (17277 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Here's an even scarier thought. According to SDPNoticias, the leaders of the SME (the old Electrical Workers' Union that was forcibly "liquidated") had their cellular service cut off today with no notification, no nothin'.

Whatever one thinks about the SME, it looks like the gov. has a tool for controlling it's citizens and intends to use it.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Vichil

Mar 15, 2010, 6:27 PM

Post #13 of 62 (17268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
I bought my cel last year and I have been getting mesages to get the phone registered on and off. The messages came after I dialed a number and the calls did not go through. I had to hang up and try again.
There is no question in my mind that cel phones can be disabled if they are not registered. I had not heard anything about registering when I got the first messages.
We just bought another cel yesterday for my husband and the store had us register the phone on the spot with my CURP.

tashby

Mar 15, 2010, 9:53 PM

Post #14 of 62 (17209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Here's an even scarier thought..... <major edit> ... it looks like the gov. has a tool for controlling it's citizens and intends to use it.

I just knew if I used the word "spooky" it would conjure up a conspiracy theory! But I thought it would focus on the mysterious fellow of alleged Lebanese descent.....in the study.....with the wallet....in his pocket.

<just for grins everybody....that's okay, right?>

bournemouth

Mar 17, 2010, 6:45 PM

Post #15 of 62 (17092 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm only just getting around to reading Sunday's edition of the Guadalajara paper Mural. It has an article on cell phone registration - apparently the four cell phone companies have jointly asked RENAUT for another year to complete registration. Whether they will get it remains to be seen.

Rolly

Mar 25, 2010, 11:24 AM

Post #16 of 62 (16823 views)

Shortcut

Re: National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
The News (here) reports:
MEXICO CITY – The deadline for millions of cell phone users to register their personal data with carriers has been extended.
Dep. José Adán Ignacio Rubí, president of the communications committee in the Chamber of Deputies, said Wednesday that lawmakers are extending the April 10 deadline by six months to allow more than 43 million people to send their data to be added to the National Mobile Phone User Registry (Renaut).

Rolly Pirate

Anonimo

Mar 25, 2010, 3:46 PM

Post #17 of 62 (16792 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Taking a cue from Camille, we went to one of the many TelCel shops and asked if we could register there.
The answer was "sí", and all we needed was a copy of our passport. The señorita behind the counter filled out a form, opened our phones and looked at the serial numbers and recorded them.

She told us that within 2 hours, we would be registered. We took a copy of the form with us. Nada más, she said. No charge.

We'll see if there's any further text messages regarding registration. Hope not.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Casa

Mar 25, 2010, 7:37 PM

Post #18 of 62 (16757 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The Informador Newspaper reports this evening that:

Anticipa Senado rechazar prórroga para registro de celulares

Senate expected to reject the extension of cell phone registration

El presidente de la Cámara alta descarta que se vaya a aprobar la ampliación ya avalada por los diputados

The chairman of the Senate rejects that the extension supported by the lower house (Chamber of Deputies) will be approved…

http://www.informador.com.mx/...tro-de-celulares.htm

JohnnyBoy

Mar 30, 2010, 1:01 PM

Post #19 of 62 (16573 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This ALTA.CURP# method worked for us.

I went into a TelCel office earlier and they said they would register my phone, but that I needed a CURP number, and I was sure I did not have one. I asked my Mexican partner if he had one, and he said he did. So I dragged him, kicking and screaming, into the same TelCel office. He wanted to mañana this, like the phone bill and everything else he is responsible for. But I insisted.

Same girl who said she would register my phone if I had a CURP number, now would not register our phones with my partner's CURP number. Not even his. But from this very Mexican experience I learned that the CURP number is supposed to be on Mexican driver's licenses. That is where my partner looked for his. So I looked at my new Mexican DL and sure enough, there was a CURP number.

The girl at the TelCel office apparently told my partner to register our phones ourselves by using the ALTA.CURP# method. I did not get the jist of their conversation as it blew by me at super-sonic speed in Sonoran dialect.

But, later, partner registered both phones with the ALTA.CUPR# method. And he got the satisfaction of postponing it at least a few hours.

johanson

Mar 30, 2010, 1:36 PM

Post #20 of 62 (16556 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnnyBoy] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
John, I can only speak for the Jalisco driver's license. But in Jalisco if you have not received/do not have an 18 alphanumeric character ID called a CURP, the computer or employee where you get your driver's license generates a 10 alphanumeric character ID called a R.F.C. where the first four characters are letters from your name and the last six characters are numbers standing for the year, month and date you were born, which of course is not a CURP, and I'm told could not be used when registering your phone.

Perhaps your friend used the same curp to register both phones.

Recently, after having gotten my Jalisco Drivers license, just for the heck of it, I got a curp as well, an operation that took me maybe 10 minutes.

With that curp, I simply sent a message that said only "alta.curp" to the telephone # 2877 . Oh and where you see the word curp I entered my 18 character curp. 3 minutes later I got a message back in Spanish saying that my request was in process and perhaps 5 minutes later I got a message stating that my curp (they showed my curp) was registered to my cell # as of a certain date (they also showed my cell phone #)

Any 13 year old who of course already has a curp can send such a text message in a few seconds. With me? it took a lot longer as I am not good at creating letters from a 12 character cell phone keyboard :)

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 30, 2010, 1:51 PM)

Anonimo

Mar 30, 2010, 2:12 PM

Post #21 of 62 (16541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] National Cell Phone Registry

| Private Reply
What a revelation! I just checked my Mexican driver's license, and there it is: RFC/CURP xxxxxxxxxxx etc.

Saludos,
Anonimo

JohnnyBoy

Mar 30, 2010, 2:58 PM

Post #22 of 62 (16525 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Maybe you did not understand what I wrote or I did not write it clearly.

When I saw my partner look for his CURP in his Mexican DL, I then looked at my Mexican DL, and lo and behold, there it was.

And yes, my partner registered both of our cell phones using his CURP. I could have done mine separately, but he just took my phone and sent the poop, as he had done with his, and we were all done.

After I posted my last message here, it occurred to me that the girl in the TelCel office who first asked me if I had a CURP and I told her I did not, because I did not realize I had one on my DL, if I had known about it and had told her I had one, she would then probably have told me how to register the phone using the phone, just as she did the next day with my partner. But I left there that day thinking that if I had a CURP she would have registered the phoone for me.

At first I thought it was odd she would lead me to believe that if I had a CURP she would have registered it for me and then when we went in with my partner's CURP she refused to register the phones for us. But I can't know that for sure.

Anyway, I got the phone registered and I learned that I have a CURP, if I ever need it again.

mazbook1

Mar 30, 2010, 6:16 PM

Post #23 of 62 (16493 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I hate to tell you, but you not only don't have a CURP, but that "RFC" on your driver's license isn't really an RFC. An RFC consists of 4 letters (first two are the first two in your family name, second two are the first two in your first name) the 6 digits in the yymmdd form that are your date of birth, but to be a real RFC, there are then three alphanumeric characters that are random, so that those first 10 are differenciated from anyone else with the same first 10. Without the full 13 characters, which can only be gotten from Hacienda, the Federal tax folks, all you have is a "sort of" RFC, which may be all they need for just a driver's license.

My true RFC starts with BODA, something that always gets a grin from clerks making out a factura for me.

johanson

Mar 30, 2010, 8:40 PM

Post #24 of 62 (16466 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I hate to tell you, but you not only don't have a CURP, but that "RFC" on your driver's license isn't really an RFC. An RFC consists of 4 letters (first two are the first two in your family name, second two are the first two in your first name) the 6 digits in the yymmdd form that are your date of birth, but to be a real RFC, there are then three alphanumeric characters that are random, so that those first 10 are differenciated from anyone else with the same first 10. Without the full 13 characters, which can only be gotten from Hacienda, the Federal tax folks, all you have is a "sort of" RFC, which may be all they need for just a driver's license.

My true RFC starts with BODA, something that always gets a grin from clerks making out a factura for me. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I REPLY:
Thanks for explaining to me that the 10 alphanumeric character ID on my Jalisco drivers license is not an RFC or curp. I incorrectly presumed that it was a RFC. You explained that a real RFC has 13, not 10 characters. I had already registered my cell phone a year ago using my passport, but I wanted to see how hard it was to register with a real curp for an article I was writing for the Guadalajara Reporter, so just for the heck of it, after breakfast on March 12th, I walked across the square in Ajijic to the municipal office and applied for a real CURP. I came with the original and copy of my passport and FM-3 and within less than ten minutes I had a real CURP, cool. I was lucky because it was so easy. I’m told that in Chapala, for example, they also want a copy of your birth certificate.
And with that real curp it was really easy to send a text message to the # 2877 which only said alta.curp where the word curp was replaced with my 18 alphanumeric character curp, which I refuse to share with you because it shows how old (que ruco) I am.
So, yes, in my case, I have a real curp but apparently I do not have a real RFC

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 30, 2010, 8:55 PM)

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 30, 2010, 8:47 PM

Post #25 of 62 (16462 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Not necessarily. My RFC begins with 2 letters corresponding to my paternal surname, followed by the first letter of my maternal surname, followed by my first initial before all those numbers and other stuff.

In fact, wikipedia (on this occasion) appears to cover RFC pretty well (in Spanish): RFC (Mexico)

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 30, 2010, 8:51 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4