Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

tonyburton

Apr 10, 2009, 7:53 AM

Post #1 of 8 (6174 views)

Shortcut

Atole fuels brain power

Can't Post | Private Reply
Scientists have linked childhood atole eating to better educational results later in life.
While the study was done in Guatemala, presumably, a similar effect is likely with Mexican atole?
See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/5131951/Children-who-eat-porridge-for-breakfast-get-better-exam-results.html

sergiogomez

Apr 10, 2009, 1:30 PM

Post #2 of 8 (6162 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Atole fuels brain power

I remember reading a similar article somewhere. Maybe it's the same one you mention here. At any rate, I believe it now because I tried drinking atole before a test a couple times and did well. I would do it more often, but I usually wake up about 15 minutes before I need to leave for class. Atole is great on-the-go food, though. It's easy to make, healthier than fast food, and you can dump it in a cup and chug it in the car when you're in a hurry. Whoever invented it sure was smart.

arbon

Apr 10, 2009, 4:22 PM

Post #3 of 8 (6150 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Oh, is that what it was, I thought it had more to do with eating so much "porridge" as a child, a better

education was needed to get a "full English" breakfast.

At least once a week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carron

Apr 11, 2009, 8:10 AM

Post #4 of 8 (6131 views)

Shortcut

Is this a subtle suggestion that some of us here on Mexconnect really should be drinking more atole?????

Rolly

Apr 11, 2009, 8:21 AM

Post #5 of 8 (6129 views)

Shortcut

I'd rather be dumb than drink that stuff everyday. Ugh!

Rolly Pirate

sergiogomez

Apr 11, 2009, 2:22 PM

Post #6 of 8 (6120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Atole fuels brain power

Carron, of course it's a suggestion that someone here should be drinking more atole. But you wouldn't get it, of course.

OK, I'm sorry. That was mean. Rest assured knowing that I only tease people that I like. =)

I wonder if atole would be any good as a diet food? I read an article once about the Tarahumara runners who practically live off the stuff and have almost no heart disease or diabetes and are in great shape. Since I'd like to lose a few pounds, I happily started drinking more atole with the hopes of turning into an athlete overnight. So far it's been disappointing. I've still got a bunch of extra flab sitting on my hips. Of course, the Tarahumara also run for hours at a time. I guess my puny quarter-mile just doesn't cut it.

charalito

Aug 10, 2009, 3:36 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5757 views)

Shortcut

now im beginning to wish my mom fed me more atole and less coffee when i was little that's an interesting article

mazbook1

Aug 22, 2009, 2:18 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Atole fuels brain power

Rolly,

You voice the sentiment that I used to have. You need to try more atoles made by different cooks/families! There is a lot of the horrible, bland, sort of gluey atole, then there are many, many delicious, slightly sweetened and flovored atoles. Once you've had some of these, you will definitely change your mind.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4