Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Hound Dog

Apr 9, 2009, 8:58 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2815 views)

Shortcut

Religious Ceremonies

Can't Post | Private Reply
We just observed Semana Santa ceremonies in Teotitlan del Valle, Oaxaca and returned to Ajijic a few days later to find, upon turning on the telly, that the White House is observing the Jewish seder celebration. My darlin wife who is a French Catholic wishes to know if the White House is also observing Ramadan in the interest of fairness.

I sincerely hope that inquiry is not too controversial coming from today´s rabid goat.

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Apr 10, 2009, 5:31 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Religious Ceremonies

Here is a bit of history about the "seder" in the White House: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/04/white_house_seder_tradition_st.html

(Senator Specter is--we think--at the Le Blanc hotel in Cancun right now as it is rented out every year for a kosher vacation at this time of year: http://pesachincancun.com/ )

My guess is that he will certainly have some event for Ramadan--probably Eid Al-fitr at the end as I doubt he will fast for a whole month. And fasting is not exactly what one would "celebrate" unless you are Evo Morales right now! But then he is on a hunger strike and eating only coca leaves so no doubt is celebrating!!

I myself enjoy participating in different religious ceremonies as it tends to open the mind which as we know works much like a parachute i.e. much better when it is open.

(This post was edited by Jim in Cancun on Apr 10, 2009, 6:18 AM)

Hound Dog

Apr 10, 2009, 8:11 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim in Cancun] Religious Ceremonies

My guess is that he will certainly have some event for Ramadan--probably Eid Al-fitr at the end as I doubt he will fast for a whole month. And fasting is not exactly what one would "celebrate" unless you are Evo Morales right now! But then he is on a hunger strike and eating only coca leaves so no doubt is celebrating!!

Well. Jim:

I must say that as an evening eater, I like the sacrifices of Ramadan since one may pig out upon sunset if I understand the rules and I am an evening eater and drinker (in copious amounts I might add).

On the subject of religious fantasy, let me tell you all a story.

In 1966, I decided to move from my home in Alabama to Washington, DC and because I was, in those days, dirt poor, I moved in with a roommate who was unknown to me but a religious Jew from Connecticut. As time passed we discussed our diverse backgrounds - I an Alabama Protestant Christian boy and he a Connecticut Jewish boy and one day, in all innocence, I told him in passing that I had grown up in a town of about 5,000 people in South Alabama with a population mix of about half and half folks of European and African ancestry and that, in this burg, resided one Greek who was a fine restaurateur and one Jew who owned a clothing store catering to African Americans known as the Family Bargain Store and that that one Jewish fellow had converted to Christianity and had become a Methodist.

Well, my new Jewish roommate blew up at me and declared me an anti-semite who failed to understand that if this fellow had converted to Methodism he was no longer a Jew and on and on and on and on, then he was no longer a Jew but a Methodist and I was an idiot for thinking otherwise. Well. I was just an innocent Southern country boy who totally lacked knowledge on these issues so I apologized prolifically and to this day I have never gotten over this humiliation that was totally uncalled for since I had, in those days, no knowledge of the existence of ehnic versus religious Jews and I declare right here that I am ethnically a WASP but would not give you two cents for every Goddamned Presbyterian on the planet if you get my drift so back off.

Well, anyway, this Jewish fellow and I eventually parted our ways since I had this tendency to eat popcorn while watching what passed for television in those days and spill a certain amount of it on the living room floor and that sent this fellow into a rage and so I say screw him and the horse he rode in on.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 10, 2009, 8:16 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4