Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

LivinTheLife

Apr 5, 2009, 8:51 PM

Post #1 of 17 (10688 views)

Shortcut

Purchase XM Radio for car?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is there any place to purchase an XM radio for my car here at lakeside? After I do buy one can I get the programing from the internet or locally?

Thanks for the help

johanson / Moderator

Apr 6, 2009, 8:14 AM

Post #2 of 17 (10675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LivinTheLife] Purchase XM Radio for car?

I can't answer your questions. However remember that you need a larger satellite dish down here the small about 1 inch by 1 inch antenna is too week for good reception this far south. What is needed down here is the larger unit, the type that come with the portable units that are rectangular and measure about 2.75 by 3.25 inches

Teo

Apr 6, 2009, 1:38 PM

Post #3 of 17 (10656 views)

Shortcut

From the XM Website:

Is XM Service available in Canada and Mexico?
  • XM is available in the continental U.S., its territories and adjacent waters, as well as in Canada. In Canada, the XM service is made available through XM's exclusive licensee, Canadian Satellite Radio Inc. (go to www.xmradio.ca for the Canadian channel listing, online radio offerings and to subscribe). XM provides excellent coast-to-coast signal coverage to the densely populated regions of Canada through its satellites and a robust ground repeater network installed in major metropolitan areas. Currently, XM's service is not sold in Mexico.
However, I've had XM reception in my car/truck for years and have received a good signal all the way down the Pacific coast to Manzanillo. I would bet that the signal could be gotten in the Lake Chapala area, too.

I think you will have to buy an XM radio in the States and set up service in the USA to receive the signal in Mexico.

RickS

Apr 6, 2009, 8:22 PM

Post #4 of 17 (10643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Teo] Purchase XM Radio for car?

Oh, XM service is available at Lake Chapala but as johanson (who lives here) says, one must use the larger antenna for your car, not the small 1"x1" one that is/was typically sold NOB for 'after market' installation.

I say 'was' typically sold because I purchased mine several years ago and it came with the smaller one.... but I have no idea what they may be selling now nor what the antenna might be like in the newer cars that come equipped with XM.

On my trip down the smaller antenna 'gave out' about 500 miles into Mexico so I just switched over to the larger one I had purchased for 'in-home' use.... put it on the dashboard. It worked pretty much flawlessly at Lakeside unless I was parked under a big tree or something.... and of course it worked fine in the house as long as I could see the southern skies.

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 6, 2009, 8:29 PM)

autumndream

Apr 8, 2009, 5:43 AM

Post #5 of 17 (10616 views)

Shortcut

We arrived in Lake Chapala area 4 years ago and brought an XM radio with us for use in the car and home. It has the standard antenna for the car and it works perfectly except in a few spots where it doesn't have the right angle or there is tree cover. We brought the outside antenna for the house and hooked it up with fantastic results.

You sign up for the programming online when you buy the radio.

It seems you can sign up for the online version without having a radio.

Don't know if you can buy one here, but probably not.

Brian

Apr 8, 2009, 8:26 AM

Post #6 of 17 (10606 views)

Shortcut

Re: [autumndream] Purchase XM Radio for car?

Another option for folks who want to listen to a broad range of radio programming (without a computer) is now available for IPhone and IPod Touch owners. Admittedly, using a telephone data plan could be problematic in parts of Mexico but the WiFi feature alone is worth consideration. I slip my IPod Touch into an IHome receiver and have a choice to listen to literally hundreds of online stations. Of course it works just as well with earplugs. In addition to radio stations, there are apps like Pandora, LastFM and Slacker radio wherein you can create your own radio station with programming according to your preferences. In areas where there is 3G coverage, you can also take advantage of these programs while driving in your car. Much more versatile and ultimately cheaper than XM.

johanson / Moderator

Apr 8, 2009, 9:43 AM

Post #7 of 17 (10598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [autumndream] Purchase XM Radio for car?

My experience with the larger versus smaller XM radio antennas. I have known a half a down folks who have purchased XM radio and come to central Mexico. Some of them have had hotter antennas than others and have had good luck with the very small inch in diameter antenna. Others whose antenna parts were not as hot, could not get a signal.

It's the same thing with say the small dish system Star Choice. The LNBs are hotter on some units (75E) and weaker on others. And the signal strength varies.

So yes your small antenna might work, if you have a hot unit or not work if the unit is not quite up to par. Therefore I always recommend that you bring the larger antenna with you.

Brian

Apr 8, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #8 of 17 (10583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Purchase XM Radio for car?

I had XMradio installed in three different cars while living in SMA. The small antenna worked fine with one exception. In that case, the installer cut corners and ran the antenna cable up to the dashboard where he put the antenna. It worked fine while driving in the USA but crapped out when I got as far south as Monterrey. Mounting it on the roof as recommended fixed the problem and it was flawless thereafter.

beachdreamer

Jun 2, 2009, 7:58 PM

Post #9 of 17 (10313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Purchase XM Radio for car?

We have a Sirus radio and we take with us to our home along the Michoacan coast. We initially used the indoor antenna that came with the radio but found we had to move it during the day as the satellite moved so we bought an outdoor one and put it on our roof and reception was much better.The outdoor antenna is not large(maybe 10-12 inches high). Legally, Sirius/XM is legally only allowed to broadcast 200 miles within Mexico's boundaries so you definitely will have to purchase your radio in the states or in Canada. Enjoy!!!
An adventure begins with a dream

johanson / Moderator

Jun 2, 2009, 10:50 PM

Post #10 of 17 (10303 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beachdreamer] Purchase XM Radio for car?

beachdreamer I am confused by your comment "Sirius/XM is legally only allowed to broadcast 200 miles within Mexico's boundaries".

I understand that the signal or footprint can be sent anywhere, but that the seller in this case XM can only sell to persons who have an address in the country XM Radio is allowed to sell to. They are licensed with the CRTC and FCC to sell to persons who have Canadian and US addresses. They are not licensed to sell to persons living in Mexico no matter how close their address is to the US or Canada

For example I have an address in Canada where I have my primary Star Choice audio video receiver, the family summer cottage. Star Choice buys and retransmits programming to persons who have an address in Canada. They can not sell to persons who only have address in the US within 200 miles of the border. Yet, I, because I have a legal Star Choice connection in Canada (On the "Island" as we say in BC) I can travel with a receiver as a snowbird as I travel south to Seattle where I am sometimes or as far south as Central America.

I have actually called from Central America and was given advice about pointing my dish for Star Choice during my 2 week stay. But I could not legally have an account to a programmer is If did not have a real address in the country the programmer is allowed to sell to.

When I have checked with XM radio, I was told I had to have an address in Canada, or the US. I was told that if my permanent address were in Mexico be I one mile or 1000 miles or Km into Mexico I could not legally purchase a subscription to same.

Luckily I have an address north of the border and am allowed to listen to same whether I am up north as I am now or when I travel south.

The biggest problem I have is that I hate hot weather, that's why I come north in the summer :) The temp Tomorrow is scheduled to hit 31 C or 88 F where I am in Seattle. Now if I only had left for Vancouver Island yesterday where the high there will be closer to 25 C or in the high 70s in F Wednesday.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 2, 2009, 10:53 PM)

beachdreamer

Jun 3, 2009, 7:55 AM

Post #11 of 17 (10285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Purchase XM Radio for car?

Yes, you are correct. It's the fact that the XM satellite path does cover most of Mexcio that we can receive the signal. We have an address in the US.

Riverman

Jun 4, 2009, 4:33 PM

Post #12 of 17 (10252 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beachdreamer] Purchase XM Radio for car?

Paul,
I think you would be cooler down here than on "the island", getting ready to rain again here and 32C in Campbell River.
Experienced signal loss on Star Choice with the rain last night.
Radio wise I listen to CBC.CA for my fix of Island news, actually called "on The Island"
We have XM in the newer company trucks on the Island but it is spotty with all our trees.

johanson / Moderator

Jun 4, 2009, 7:03 PM

Post #13 of 17 (10239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Riverman] Purchase XM Radio for car?

My satellite dealer, Jim Forman (spelling?) of Duncan, on the Island, highly recommends you get the larger Star Choice dish be you in Victoria, BC or in Jalisco to minimize rain fade. We've had the bigger one, the E75 you know 92 by 66 cm (36 by 26 inch) in Canada for maybe 8 years. I can't say that I have ever hung out at the cottage and watched TV when it has been raining very hard, but under normal rain conditions I have never had rain fade using the bigger dish. Have any of you in Canada, had rain fade, with the larger dish?

Sure I get rain fade in Mexico with the biggest Star Choice dish, the 75 E, but I expect that.

And yes it hit 32 (90 F) today breaking all kinds of records in Seattle too. Oh well the weather report for Saturday is back to normal, 20 (68 F) and chances of rain

I mentioned Jim Forman above and I want to stress that he is very familiar with what works in Mexico. His email address is, or it was last year and I bet it still is Jim@ultravisionsatellite.com <Jim@ultravisionsatellite.com> If you need equipment for Mexico and you're up north in Western Canada, you might email him.

Oscar2

Jun 4, 2009, 9:27 PM

Post #14 of 17 (10228 views)

Shortcut

When I first bought my SUV new, they gave me 1 yr XM radio subscription free. I didnít renew when it terminated but after listening to you guys I found a forum type website touting great XM deals.

After reading the deals claimed, I called, and yes, I got a complete XM package for 5 months for $19.95 minus $12.50 for credit card usage which equaled $7.45. That's $1.49 a month. Be sure to mark the date it rolls over because it goes to the original price of $12.95 per month.

Check it outÖ

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/xmradio.com

mexliving

Sep 2, 2009, 4:12 PM

Post #15 of 17 (9758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Purchase XM Radio for car?

i purchased the terk marine xm antenna (shaped like a mushroom.) its the size of a hockey puck and my signal strenght has increased ............ its rated at 34db signal reception..

beachdreamer

Sep 4, 2009, 11:19 AM

Post #16 of 17 (9699 views)

Shortcut

Re: Terk Marine Antenna?

Where did you purchase the Terk marine antenna? Do you live along the coast or is it more powerful than a standard outdoor antenna? Thanks.

mexliving

Sep 4, 2009, 10:23 PM

Post #17 of 17 (9671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beachdreamer] Terk Marine Antenna?

i purchased the terk marine antenna from myradiostore.com ..... they do ship to other address then your billing... then my buddy came down and brought it down with him.

i was more exited about my super 30db+ antenna then having my friend come down..... i also was lucky to find a plug and play re-furbished unit for 29.00 dollars!!!!! those are sold out but there are still great deals..

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4