Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

esperanza

Aug 8, 2008, 12:19 PM

Post #26 of 85 (14861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Even the small weekly tianguis where I shop in Morelia has two vendors selling sweetened dried cranberries. I put them in scones. In fact, I was going to make scones this morning, but there was no gas. It was cereal for us till the gas truck came. Scones will be for mañana!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

IslaZina

Aug 8, 2008, 12:27 PM

Post #27 of 85 (14859 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yep! And pecans. And as of a couple weeks ago, Stella Artois beer! Can it get any better?
http://islazina@blogspot.com

Gayla

Aug 13, 2008, 8:54 AM

Post #28 of 85 (14785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [IslaZina] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
IslaZina, if it's any consolation, there are a growing number of studies showing that small amounts of lard in moderation are actually...wait for it...healthy!! So the occasional pie crust, Xmas cookie, carnitas or even refried beans aren't gonna kill you. It's not exactly a licenses to go out and over-indulge in lard, but it should at least reduce the guilt level ;-).

Your friends are right, between lard, butter and margarine, butter and lard are the better choice. Margarine has taken some huge hits in the nutrition department over the last 4 or 5 years.

Brian

Aug 13, 2008, 9:15 AM

Post #29 of 85 (14782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
The hardest thing for me to give up was the freedom of speech. It probably is for expats' own good because, in Mexico, it is hard to separate the bad guys from the good guys. Say the "wrong things" and you can get deported (if you are lucky) or killed if you are not.

Brian

--
I can't run no more
with that lawless crowd
while the killers in high places
say their prayers out loud.
But they've summoned, they've summoned up
a thundercloud
and they're going to hear from me.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen

tashby

Oct 25, 2008, 8:43 PM

Post #30 of 85 (14675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Hardest thing to give up? So far...

Corn Chex.

And just a little bit of control.

Judy in Ags

Oct 25, 2008, 9:05 PM

Post #31 of 85 (14668 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Does your Costco have chocolate-covered blueberries? They had them last time here last time we shopped there. I'm thinking it's a Christmas season thing. I hope they still have them!

bournemouth

Oct 26, 2008, 7:24 AM

Post #32 of 85 (14636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Judy - I haven't seen any of those but they are now growing blueberries around here, along with raspberries and strawberries. Extras from the fields were being sold in front of a couple of local grocery stores this past week.
Berry season in the Chapala area seems to run for about 9 months - I love it!

nancyinpdx

Nov 22, 2008, 1:57 PM

Post #33 of 85 (14460 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LintonRobinson] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Lol, Linton! When I'm there I miss toilet seats or even, in some areas, decent (reasonably clean!) public restrooms that include running water and soap!
nancy

Rolly

Nov 22, 2008, 2:53 PM

Post #34 of 85 (14451 views)

Shortcut

Re: What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
What I miss...
1. Book stores
2. Store clerks who speak English
3. Wide streets without topes
4. I used to say Subway Sandwich shops, but now there is one in my area -- 45 minutes away.
5. Fat Man's clothing store
6. Good pizza
7. Lots of ethnic restaurants
8. Smooth sidewalks
9. Piped in natural gas
10. And, yes, toilet seats

What I don't miss...
1. Pumping my own gas
2. Mowing the lawn
3. Paying for license plates
4. Bad Mexican food
5. Police and press helicopters buzzing around
6. Traffic noise from the nearby freeway
7. Sky high water bills

Rolly Pirate

Don Moore

Nov 22, 2008, 3:30 PM

Post #35 of 85 (14445 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Dear friends,

This has been a most helpful thread, indeed, probably the most helpful I have ever read on Mexconnect. After about 12 years of being interested in moving to Mexico, sometimes yearning to move to Mexico, I have concluded after reading these comments that living in Mexico is probably not a good idea for me. Of course, that could change, too, I will just have to see, but that's how it seems right now.
There are more Mexican people in Memphis, where I am living, than there are in Jerez or Ajijic or a any number of other towns that I might choose to live in down there. There are Mexican restaurants everywhere, not Taco Bell, or even better quality chains, but places run by Mexican-born people who use authentic products of high quality. I speak pretty good Spanish and can converse with Mexicans here probably more honestly and openly and forthrightly than I could if I were in a lot of places in Mexico.

Sure, there are things about living NoB that I don't like, but there will be things I don't like anywhere. I am planning to put more energy and focus on the things I like here and try to let go of some of my complaints. You all have helped me to become aware of what I DO like about where I live now.

Thank you all again. I will be staying on the forums and reading articles on Mexconnect and probably visiting Mexico, too. But for now, I am letting go of any idea of moving there. We'll just see what happens.
Don Moore

nancyinpdx

Nov 23, 2008, 2:57 AM

Post #36 of 85 (14408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
I agree about ethnic restaurants. I love Vietnamese, middle eastern, and Greek food. I also miss the ehnic stores for their clothing and grocery items to make the food like fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla), orange flower water, puff pastry or phyllo dough, udon noodles, wonton wrappers, filipino springroll wrappers, sweet thai chili sauce, sesame oil, coconut milk, beri beri powder (for Ethiopan)etc... nancy

esperanza

Nov 23, 2008, 6:25 AM

Post #37 of 85 (14400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nancyinpdx] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Nancy, in Guadalajara and Morelia I've bought all of the ethnic foods you mentioned, with the exception of beri beri powder. I suspect that even beri beri powder is available in Mexico City!

nancyinpdx

Dec 1, 2008, 1:35 PM

Post #38 of 85 (14339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
 That's kewl, Esperanza. I only looked for the stuff in TJ. I hope that TJ will not be my future home (horror of all horrors!); I wanna live in Oaxaca! nancy

johanson

Dec 1, 2008, 7:16 PM

Post #39 of 85 (14310 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
What do I miss most here in Mexico? I miss about a week or two of snow. Now admittedly we don't have much snow in Seattle, where I have lived most of my life but when I lived in Oberammergau, Frei Stadt Bayern in the 60s at an elevation of about 870 meters we had snow most of the winter. And when I was jung and liked to ski etc., gosh it was great fun.

BajaGringo

Dec 2, 2008, 7:57 AM

Post #40 of 85 (14261 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply

TalkBaja: Over 25K members...

esperanza

Dec 2, 2008, 3:24 PM

Post #41 of 85 (14224 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nancyinpdx] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
That's kewl, Esperanza. I only looked for the stuff in TJ. I hope that TJ will not be my future home (horror of all horrors!); I wanna live in Oaxaca! nancy

Gee, Nancy, I lived in Tijuana, just outside Centro, for three years. I loved it.

IslaZina

Dec 3, 2008, 5:40 AM

Post #42 of 85 (14182 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Nancy,
Most of the food items you mentioned are now in Sam's Club or Soriana's, if you live near one. Restaurants are adding Thai foods, sushi (you can get wasabi in tubes at Chedraui, Walmart, Soriana AND Costco in Cancun), fancy shamsy entrees. I even got ricotta for the holidays and a big jar of Russian sushi, ah, herring, so maybe it will be better where you live soon. You may have to make your own phillo though. :(
http://islazina@blogspot.com

azheat

Dec 3, 2008, 3:43 PM

Post #43 of 85 (14128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Yeah baby, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Miss them already.

nancyinpdx

Dec 6, 2008, 7:59 PM

Post #44 of 85 (14029 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Zina, Esperanza, and all :thanks for pointers. : ) I do not live in Mex yet but spent over half of last year and half in TJ. it is ok in TJ but I have seen and had lots of crazy or bad things happen to me and friends who live there. I am not afraid there but I like other parts of Mexico better, especially Oaxaca. I will head back to TJ in the spring or summer for medical/dental checkups and treatment and to see friends and to see if i still have or want my boyfriend, who lives there! nancy

nancyinpdx

Dec 7, 2008, 1:43 AM

Post #45 of 85 (14001 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the link, Esperanza, it was really interesting and I enjoyed the pics. : )

Judy in Ags

Dec 9, 2008, 4:53 PM

Post #46 of 85 (13919 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
And our Costco has frozen wild blueberries. Those have become a standard item at our household.

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 9, 2008, 6:29 PM

Post #47 of 85 (13899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Cosmetics (mainly foundations and skin care). They cost around 30% more in Mexico IFFFFFF I can find my brands. Also missed hair spray in a pump (opposed to the aerosol).

Rolly

Dec 28, 2008, 7:02 PM

Post #48 of 85 (13681 views)

Shortcut

What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
Bump

Rolly Pirate

rogerj1

Mar 1, 2009, 11:42 PM

Post #49 of 85 (13543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] What was the hardest thing to give up when you moved to Mexico?

| Private Reply
For us in the Seattle area, Dicks is the burger of choice. When I got back from going to school in Mexico, this was the first place I went.

Giamarie

Apr 4, 2009, 12:21 PM

Post #50 of 85 (13182 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I miss things like closets and shelves. I live with my boyfriend and our daughter in a dusty barrio of Tuxtla Gutierrez. I just couldn't get over how any house could be built without storage space, especially since there is no garage, attic, basement, etc. Where the heck were we supposed to put anything? So we have to buy cabinets, shelves, etc, and we still have a long way to go before all the piles and clutter clears. Money is tight now, so we have to live with it.

I miss not having to battle it out with dust every day. It would be nice living on a paved street. Since the house is flush up against the street, dust gets inside so easily. Every time I'm out walking I kick up a cloud like Pigpen and every time a truck passes it creates a haze.

Right now I'm missing springtime in Michigan, which can be beautiful (or chilly and rainy....or snowy! sometimes all in one day) The heat in Tuxtla in unbearable in April and May. So I miss airconditioning.

I miss living on a pretty street where people took great care of their properties. (of course I realize a lot of it is having the resources to do so) I hate going out back and looking at the neighbor's scrap and junk heaps, broken brick walls, tin awnings, shanties and various outbuildings and structures. Of course our back yard doesn't look too swell either, so we shouldn't be critical. We have to clear out all the brambles, plant grass, weed it. We also have some stuff laying around. We blame it all on lack of money and space, but we will get it all done, little by little.

We live in an average neighborhood which is just full of eyesores. It kills me how the neighbors across the street are selling their place for 1.5 million pesos but they have a broken up chicken wire gate, junked up side yard, and although the front facade looks nice enough, you turn by the side and see the brick and cement slop job that seems to be the norm for all construction here. Sure it's rather big, and two stories, but that's all you can say about it. However, for that kind of money, shouldn't the house be darn near perfect? We don't even live in a desirable neighborhood.

I love Mexico, and think it is a beautiful country with a lot of lovely areas. The relative, ahem, shabbiness, (how can you say it nicely) of so many areas is depressing though.

I could go on and on about things I dislike ( as well as things I love!) but this post is getting a little long-winded. It's my first post!!!! More to follow.

Giannmarie

(This post was edited by Giamarie on Apr 4, 2009, 12:26 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4