Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Jodi and Rolando

May 7, 2002, 10:25 PM

Post #1 of 6 (10948 views)

Shortcut

straw bale homes in rainy areas? composting toilets?

Can't Post |
Hello.<p>We're thinking about building an in-fill straw bale home in Michoacan about 12 miles outside of Morelia. We've purchased some books and have ideas about where to start, but we're concerned about the roof type so as to not let water eventually seep through the stucco, though we would like to include a water catch system.<p>Does anyone have experience building with straw bales in a combination rainy season-dry season sort of climate?<p>Also, we'd like to incorporate composting toilets in our home and guest cottage. We were thinking about the Sun-mar, but don't know about getting them into the country (duty etc.). Has anyone brought a unit into Mexico? Or have you had experience building a different style of composting toilet that worked well? Please share your experiences with us.<p>Jodi and Rolando Lopez
Morelia, Michoacan

Loco

May 11, 2002, 3:35 PM

Post #2 of 6 (10945 views)

Shortcut

bales may be the trick

Can't Post |
you don't make a building type bale by hand ... and the machines that do are quite expensive. I really don't know what they do in Mexico (that part) but I'd bet it was the least expensive methods (by hand, rolls, etc). Remember, bales are for winter feeding and winters are not generally difficult in MX.<p>The old HomePower zine used to do low tech composting projects if you are inclined to build.

Rolly

May 11, 2002, 7:22 PM

Post #3 of 6 (10944 views)

Shortcut

bales may be the trick

Can't Post |
Loco, I can only speak for my part of northern Mexico. I see machine-bailed hay frequently -- both on trucks passing through and for sale in a couple of places I pass going for BBQ.<p>As for the questions by the OP, I havenít a clue.

Esteban

May 13, 2002, 5:31 AM

Post #4 of 6 (10943 views)

Shortcut

hay vs. straw

Can't Post |
The trick may be getting straw bales as opposed to hay. There is a big difference.

Jodi and Rolando

May 13, 2002, 3:47 PM

Post #5 of 6 (10943 views)

Shortcut

hay vs. straw

Can't Post |
We have seen trucks with baled straw around here recently, but it could be a seasonal thing. Hay is much more common, but it contains far more moisture. It could well be necessary pour the foundation and to build the frame during the winter months, then fill in with the bales with the product of the first cut harvest before the rainy season gets to it. We started seeing bales on trucks in March around Semana Santa.<p>
: The trick may be getting straw bales as opposed to hay. There is a big difference.<p>

Eugenio Oseguera-Figueroa

Jun 24, 2002, 6:18 PM

Post #6 of 6 (10946 views)

Shortcut

straw bale homes in rainy areas? composting toilets?

Can't Post |
: Hello.<p>: We're thinking about building an in-fill straw bale home in Michoacan about 12 miles outside of Morelia. We've purchased some books and have ideas about where to start, but we're concerned about the roof type so as to not let water eventually seep through the stucco, though we would like to include a water catch system.<p>: Does anyone have experience building with straw bales in a combination rainy season-dry season sort of climate?<p>: Also, we'd like to incorporate composting toilets in our home and guest cottage. We were thinking about the Sun-mar, but don't know about getting them into the country (duty etc.). Has anyone brought a unit into Mexico? Or have you had experience building a different style of composting toilet that worked well? Please share your experiences with us.<p>: Jodi and Rolando Lopez
: Morelia, Michoacan<p>Hello:
Yes, I have some experience in straw bale houses, and I live part time in Patzcuaro, less than one hour away from Morelia. I also have a little knowledge about clivus multrum bath houses (composting) as well as solar water heaters and so on. If you are interested, reply and we may arrange an appointment.
Eugenio.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4