Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rosalinemg

Jun 14, 2009, 11:54 AM

Post #26 of 28 (4037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Mexican Newspaper Language

Can't Post | Private Reply
I too have a lot of problem with trying to read newspapers in Spanish. I start to read and half way through give up because I get tired of the "rambling". I have been told that it is a good way to try to improve my Spanish, but sometimes I wonder?

By the way, about Spanish speakers! My husband is Mexican. He lived in Canada for 17 years. Went to University there and is totally bilingual. He hates reading anything in Spanish because he says it is frustrating and time consuming trying to interpret the simple truth of what is said. Funny enough since we moved here I notice that he has started to ramble on in his speech. If I ask him a simple question he will, not only answer, but go on and on until I finally have to tell him to just answer the question because I am not really interested in the logistics.

Maybe this is why we have so much problem with Spanish. It is much to flowery for me when all I want is a simple explanation of what is.

jerezano

Jun 15, 2009, 12:41 PM

Post #27 of 28 (4012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rosalinemg] Mexican Newspaper Language

Hi Rosalinemg,

If you have the courage to tell you husband to quit rambling and give you the answer you want, you should have the courage to keep on reading a rambling Mexican newspaper article. Just skip the rambles and read the news.

But unfortunately many times the authors get lost and forget to give you the news or to give them the benefit of the doubt they just don't know it.

Still reading the articles, particularly for your own region will not only help you with your Spanish but will give you a much more in-depth knowledge of your town and area. That itself is a mine of Gold.

Good luck with your continued reading of Spanish.

jerezano.

Rosalinemg

Jun 15, 2009, 2:53 PM

Post #28 of 28 (4001 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Mexican Newspaper Language

You are right jerezano! I often have to tell my husband to stick to the facts, just the facts. And, yes I do persist in reading the local newspapers. As a matter of fact, my husband seldom reads anything and he gets his news from me. Go figure!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4