Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Xay

Mar 29, 2009, 5:10 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2021 views)

Shortcut

where can i obtain a business permit?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know a phone number a website or a contact person in Cabo San lucas where I can obtain a business permit? Thanks!!!

mazbook1

Mar 29, 2009, 10:50 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Xay] where can i obtain a business permit?

It's not quite that simple. First, you have to have a FM-3 visa that is validated for you to have the right to "actividades lucrativas" and just what those activities consist of. Then you have to go to the local "Hacienda" office and get an RFC. After you have those two things you are free to go into the business which Migración validated on your FM-3. There are no "local business licenses" as such in México.

Before you do all this you would be very wise to get a L.C.P. (the Mexican version of a CPA) to assist you, as he is THE MAN. L.C.P.s have all the law right at their fingertips about how to legally do business in México.

colibri1

Mar 30, 2009, 6:28 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Xay] where can i obtain a business permit?

It is required for foreigners to have a Mexican "contador" (accountant). He/she is the one to get your RFC for you. Ask around for recommendations and make sure the contador is not too busy to give your activities the timely attention they require in order to avoid "multas" (over-due fines). The contador holds your very life and immigration status in his/her hands!!!
I'm not at all trying to discourage you, just inform you, and urge your due-diligence. We have 3 businesses and over the years have been screwed over by 3 different highly recommended and trusted contadores. Unfortunately, they are only human and at times circumstances work against them... humans almost always choose their own skins over another's. This is one of the most frustrating aspects of doing business in Mexico. You are not allowed to do your own filings.
Buena Suerte,
Colibri1

(This post was edited by colibri1 on Mar 30, 2009, 7:00 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4