Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Carron

Mar 29, 2009, 10:14 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3299 views)

Shortcut

Mesquite trees, beans and jarabe (syrup)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here in northern Coahuila we are overgrown with mesquite trees which in some years (maybe alternate ones?) produce an abundance of long, sweet, dark red beans. Many ranchers, especially just north of us in Texas, consider the trees worse than weeds. I use the beans to make a delicious jarabe or syrup which we eat on everything including hot buttered tortillas de harina.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 29, 2009, 11:34 AM)

Jetski

Mar 29, 2009, 9:55 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3266 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Mesquite trees, beans and jarabe (syrup)

Receta para hacer el jarabe por favor?

:-)

(This post was edited by Jetski on Mar 29, 2009, 10:07 PM)

Carron

Mar 30, 2009, 7:32 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jetski] Mesquite trees, beans and jarabe (syrup)

I haven't made it in several years due to poor crops. But I am in town now, going back out to the ranch this afternoon for a good stay, and I have my notes out there. Be patient and I will provide exact details when I get back here next weekend.

Basically you can make up a sizeable batch starting with 5 gallons packed ripe beans which have been broken into perhaps halves. Boil in 3-4 gallons of water for several hours until the liquid is significantly reduced. Drip liquid through a cheesecloth or jelly bag.

Then process as you would any clear jelly. Sugar, lemon/lime juice, pectin added according to the directions on the pectin bottle or packet. While still very hot put up in hot sterilized Mason jars. Mine never gets as firm as commercial jellies, but it tastes good anyway.

If you have access to mesquite, you are in for a real treat. If you also have horses, you are in for some serious competition while picking the beans!!!!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4