Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Carron

Mar 28, 2009, 5:47 PM

Post #1 of 17 (10181 views)

Shortcut

General Posts

Can't Post | Private Reply
From time to time I receive personal e-mail posts about Mexconnect issues. Often I think they are of much greater value to the general Internet community than "for my eyes only". Unless a post is really personal and nasty (would anyone on Mexconnect even consider such a thing????) I always encourage other posters to use the forums rather than private e-mail.

What do you think?

Rolly

Mar 28, 2009, 5:51 PM

Post #2 of 17 (10161 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] General Posts

I agree. It's sad that so many folks seem to be afraid of being flamed, so they send PMs or e-mails rather than making a public post.

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Mar 28, 2009, 6:23 PM

Post #3 of 17 (10155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] General Posts

So is there anything we old timers can do to make things more "user-friendly"??? Suggestions??

keith

Mar 28, 2009, 9:42 PM

Post #4 of 17 (10128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] General Posts

I sent you both pms. Not really. I agree. It's a forum, right?

alex .

Mar 29, 2009, 5:43 AM

Post #5 of 17 (10100 views)

Shortcut

Did you see what that bonehead alex just posted ?
I dunno, private reply has its place 8<)
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Mar 29, 2009, 5:45 AM)

Ustlach

Mar 30, 2009, 1:39 PM

Post #6 of 17 (10011 views)

Shortcut

I very often send private messages to the EXPERTS like Rolly when I have a particular question and I have not been able to find an answer for it by searching old posts and yet I feel confident it has already been discussed and dealt with in the past.

Many times it is the old-timers, but never Rolly, who start to bitch that newer people, like me, are posting old, tired, worn-out questions, and it is just too boring for them.

It is not exactly as bad as getting flamed but it is similar.

If you want don't mind entertaining questions that have been asked and answered a bezillion times already, but that are hard to research in the old posts, then don't whine that it is a boring question that someone else just asked and refer people to the search facility. Just answer the question, graciously, and move on.

jreboll

Mar 30, 2009, 1:56 PM

Post #7 of 17 (10006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoinSonora] General Posts

Sometimes we feel we have to resort to PM when we are afraid that Big Sister might delete our post if it doesn't meet her standards. I just got deleted this weekend and I don't have an idea why.
With so many questions and comments about crime and safety in Mexico I decided to insert a news item about a crime in a North Carolina nursing home just to show that the perception of crime is in the eye of the beholder.
I guess comments about crime NOB is off limits.
Perhaps we need a section on deleted comments so we can decide if we want to read them or just PM everyone.

tonyburton

Mar 30, 2009, 2:20 PM

Post #8 of 17 (9999 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] General Posts

In the case of most deleted threads, including the one I deleted yesterday, it's really quite simple.
The purpose of these forums is to provide information and discussion about Mexico, not about the US or elsewhere unless there is some clear link and relevance to Mexico. Our most frequent site of deletions is the business forum which is regularly targeted by Chinese spammers.

johanson

Mar 30, 2009, 2:24 PM

Post #9 of 17 (9996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] General Posts

I'm the moderator of the technical forum and I welcome questions, no matter how stupid you think they may be. Because I probably asked those same questions when I first joined this forum. The worst I might do is write that this information can be found at *************

Rolly

Mar 30, 2009, 3:31 PM

Post #10 of 17 (9979 views)

Shortcut

Many times it is the old-timers, but never Rolly, who start to bitch that newer people, like me, are posting old, tired, worn-out questions, and it is just too boring for them.

I vent my frustrations by shouting at the screen rather than fingering the keyboard. It's just as effective, and it doesn't lead to embarrassments. My dog has gotten used to the outbursts. Smile

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Mar 30, 2009, 4:26 PM

Post #11 of 17 (9976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] General Posts

Tony, to me jreboll's post DID have a clear link and relevance to Mexico as his point was, to me at the time, that Mexico does not have a corner on violence 'so why does every death in Mexico get treated as a phenomenon?'

But, then again, you are the Moderator.... not me.

Gringal

Mar 30, 2009, 5:35 PM

Post #12 of 17 (9956 views)

Shortcut

Here's my take on the repeat questions: Five years ago, while contemplating a move to Mexico, I received patient, helpful replies to my questions. I did check the "search" function first, but often the question didn't quite fit.

Now, It's not going to hurt me to "play if forward" and be kind to newbies. The prospect of uprooting oneself and one's stuff and heading to a foreign country is daunting enough without getting a hard time on a webboard such as this.

MazDee

Mar 31, 2009, 7:00 PM

Post #13 of 17 (9855 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] General Posts

You are right, Gringal. I had a wonderful experience with the forums when I planned my move here, and am grateful for all the questions answered by people I didn't know. And, I want to give back, when I can. But, I always try my best to search the archives before asking a question, as you did, and usually say so in my message. And, I can't help being irritated by people who don't do that. I have responded with a "this question was discussed yesterday..." and refer them to the post that they should have noticed if they wanted to take the time. This kind of thing doesn't happen much on mexconnect, anyway. It seems to happen more on our local forums. Questions like " I have visited Mazatlán and would love to live there. I am a (fill in the blank, carpenter, bartender, musician, whatever) and are there good jobs available?" are patiently answered by people with more patience than me! Like Marlene! She is the picture of patience. Dee

Judy in Ags

Apr 8, 2009, 8:17 AM

Post #14 of 17 (9732 views)

Shortcut

I think there are a couple reasons people are reluctant to post, or turn to private messages. The first has been alluded to here already and could be expressed by the saying that "A dog that has been scalded is afraid even of cold water." 'Not referring to anyone on M.C. as a dog, except myself, as I still tremble a little each time I post something.

The second issue could be that not all users have the technical capabilities that we have ;-) and may not do well with the search function, although it is quite simple.

Carron

Apr 11, 2009, 7:24 AM

Post #15 of 17 (9480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] General Posts

Confession time!! In all the more than 11 years I have been posting on Mexconnect I have NEVER ever used the Search function. I am clueless about such refinements. I just read everything regularly and try not to miss a single post, even if something doesn't particularly apply to my personal situation or interests. Such a wealth of info is on this site.

Judy in Ags

Apr 11, 2009, 7:52 AM

Post #16 of 17 (9468 views)

Shortcut

I'm impressed! That's a lot of reading and material to absorb. I pretty much keep up daily on the postings, but find the Search function so helpful when I can't remember the details.

jerezano

Apr 11, 2009, 8:08 AM

Post #17 of 17 (9464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] General Posts re Carron and search function

Hello all,

Reading all the new posts on the forums of interest to me, General, Travel, Living in Mexico, Pacific, Bajio, and Spanish is a way of life for me too. However my memory is not so good.

For that reason the search function is invaluable. When I remember that I read something of interest not only to me but in answer to a new question, a search of the posts will usually turn it up so I can call the attention of the questioner to it or provide him/her the answer.

And the search by user name proves just as invaluable. Memorable financial posts by posters like Hound Dog pop up before my eyes just when I need them. And our friend Rolly who posts everywhere such good advice about life in Mexico.

I suggest Carron and the rest of us learn how to use the search functions. It makes life here in Mexico a lot easier for all of us..

jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4