Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Terry Mitchell

Aug 21, 2002, 8:47 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3037 views)

Shortcut

FM-3 and work

Can't Post |
After working in Mx. for 2 yrs. I went back to the USA for 1 yr. and my fm3 expired. last wk. I returned to Mx. and tried my fm3 and explained I was going to renew it. Guess what? Your supposed to check out of the country when you leave and surrender it to immigration when you leave. I had to pay a 450.00 usd fine to re-enter the country and they made a note on my passport that I attempted to re-enter the country on an expired visa. What a bummer!!!! Lessons learned everyone!!! tdemex@yahoo.com

Ernie Gorrie

Aug 21, 2002, 9:28 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3031 views)

Shortcut

FM-3 and work

Can't Post |
I've never heard of "surrendering" an FM3 when leaving Mexico. (I guess the question would be, if one "surrendered" their FM3 when they left, how would they still have it when they wanted to re-enter the country.)<p>Each time I've left, I fill out a form and when I return I hand in the form at migracion. I've noticed that they seem to consider this pretty important when I've left/entered by airplane.<p>When I entered by land at Nogales one time, the migracion person didn't seem to know why I was handing him the form. I insisted he take it and as I left the office I noticed him tossing it into the garbage can.

Rolly

Aug 21, 2002, 11:35 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3033 views)

Shortcut

FM-3 and work

Can't Post |

:I insisted he take it and as I left the office I noticed him tossing it into the garbage can.<p>Funny! <p>I too have noticed that the rules seem to different by land and by air. I once left by air and forget to got the exit form. I worried about it on my return, but the guy with stamp didn't say a word as he stamped my FM3.<p>When I read Terry's post, I assumed the instruction to turn in the FM3 applies when one leaves for good. But it could just as easily been the immigration guy's grouching. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4