Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Scam3114

Mar 26, 2009, 4:38 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5436 views)

Shortcut

Puerto Jaurez, Riviera Maya -Safety Concerns?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

I am planning a vacation in the last week of May to stay in Puerto Jaurez of the Riviera Maya. I really have no idea what the geography is of the Riviera Maya in relation to all the trouble currently going on. If someone could please let me know if there should be cause for concern or if I should go on my vacation as planned that would be great.... Thanks

tonyburton

Mar 26, 2009, 7:04 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Scam3114] Puerto Jaurez, Riviera Maya -Safety Concerns?

No cause for concern; enjoy your trip!

Altahabana

Mar 27, 2009, 6:11 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Scam3114] Puerto Jaurez, Riviera Maya -Safety Concerns?

Most of the violence generating the media coverage is concentrated in the northern states and in a few places in the center of the country. The situation in the Yucatan is under the tourist radar and low profile. It will have no affect on your trip. The problem with US media coverage is that it gives the impression the violence is everywhere when clearly it is not.

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Mar 27, 2009, 9:48 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Puerto Jaurez, Riviera Maya -Safety Concerns?

As mentioned, there is nothing to worry about. Check out http://www.thetruthaboutmexico.com/ and if you want to ask more questions about the area the Tripadvisor.com Cancun forum is very active at http://cancun-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150807-i8-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Here is a link to a video by the U.S. Consul for the Yucatan Peninsula. http://www.ahqr.com.mx/ingles/bien.php#

Have a great vacation!

(This post was edited by Jim in Cancun on Mar 27, 2009, 10:04 AM)

yucatandreamer

Mar 27, 2009, 11:05 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Puerto Jaurez, Riviera Maya -Safety Concerns?

I certainly agree that a tourist in Quintanna Roo is not likely to be harmed in the narco wars, but it is not true that the narco gangs are inactive in the Yucatan peninsula. The Cancun area is very important to the narcotrafficantes and the war against them and among them is being fought viciously there as well. There are deaths and violence all over Mexico though visitors to beach side Cancun and the Mayan Riviera resorts will not be affected.

Altahabana

Mar 27, 2009, 2:57 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Puerto Jaurez, Riviera Maya -Safety Concerns?

I agree and am aware of the activities in the Yucatan which is why I phrased my answer as I did. On this and other boards there is a big disconnect between posters when this issue is raised. I simply wanted to answer the OP's question without going into a discussion of the history of the current situation, the causes for it or whether it is exaggerated by the media. The best answer is that narco-violence and the influence of the cartels is a serious domestic problem for the Mexican government, but there is only an extremely remote chance that a tourist travelling to a tourist zone (like the OP) will encounter any trouble.

I live in Nuevo Laredo by the way and work with Mexican clients in the transportation industry. Not that it matters to tourists, but the Gulf cartel and the Zetas have expanded their racketeering enterprises far beyond drug trafficking.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Mar 27, 2009, 4:12 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4