Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

RickS

Mar 26, 2009, 1:50 PM

Post #1 of 12 (4762 views)

Shortcut

"Best" Beach

Can't Post | Private Reply
Taking the lead from Tony B., I'll ask, 'What is your favorite/best/most remote/most romantic/you-fill-in-the-adjective beach in Mexico???

Mine would have to be...... Isla Holbox. No, wait.... maybe far down the road from Tulum. Oh, heck, maybe it's really around Los Frailes on the east cape of Baja Sur sitting right on the Tropic of Cancer.

Remote seems to be one of my requirements. What say ye?

(My favorite beach in the US? Without a doubt it is/was Destin, Florida in the 50's!)

Jane.Wilkinson

Mar 27, 2009, 7:42 AM

Post #2 of 12 (4690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] "Best" Beach

Tenacatita, hands down. Especially like "Chuy's" unofficial ejido campground. Jane Wilkinson aka Gringodog

Oscar2

Mar 27, 2009, 1:36 PM

Post #3 of 12 (4647 views)

Shortcut

RickS, an excellent question. Ahh yes, beaches, there is something, an affinity or something which fascinates, with a drawing power of visions of pounding waves and infinite views of oceans which stretch so far out it seemingly melts into the sky and/or falls off at the edge of the earth. Strong, powerful, intriguing and it’s mysterious rich memories easily play into visuals of past and present.

Some places no longer exist, as they were back then because the secret you held in your heart as a treasure was discovered by others and the years have converted it into a mainstream gateway, trampled, used and built upon where solace is now only in memory. I speak of Playa de la Ropa, in Zihuatanejo, 1969. The sweeping tall palm trees fringing the edge of the beach, seemingly bowed toward the sea, as if trying to dip their frowns over the white sands to reach the ocean for a refreshing drink of its cool water. The beach then, seemed totally isolated, quiet and still, with only the rustling of frowns and the infinite, reaching seas pounding the shore calling to claim the warm sands you lied on. Yes, I too have fond, stirring memories attached to oceans, beaches, islands, and seemingly, all which is attaches to it, including myself.

There are others, such as Tunnels beach on the north shore of Kauai, one of the most beautiful beaches on this planet. Visited and rented a house there only one time in the 6 times we’ve been there. One would love to live there but luckily, the monetary price to live on this beach is now prohibiting. 25 years ago, as it still is now, the snorkeling on this subtle natural stretch of beach created by its corral reefs, puts the pounding surf far at bay, leaving the invitation of crystal clear blue bath water, for the fish and its snorkelers a place to meet.

Then there are the southern California beaches where on a popular weekend, a sea of people, bikini clad beauties and healthy bodies, carrying surfboards, boogie boards and more, inhabit a weekend and its surf. Terraced restaurants on the surfs edge are people watch towers, which carve ones eyesight into an insatiable feast. The ambiance of the sun and pounding surf is the spice, which draws, and what it brings, certainly brought us.

There are others such as Big Sur, which can be the apex of power, beauty, and stunning visuals I had the extreme pleasure of living in for almost two years in my youth and have visited throughout my life. But that in itself was a wonderful experience which has honed part of me forever. It carries very interesting stories, I’d love to share, and maybe I can work it in as a comparison to other beaches and dwellings in Mexico….

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Mar 27, 2009, 1:41 PM)

Hound Dog

Mar 28, 2009, 4:58 PM

Post #4 of 12 (4565 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] "Best" Beach

Well, of course, no one has ever seen even a tiny fraction of the world´s beaches so to pretend that one knows the greatest beach is a silly conceit.

Some of the greatest and most remote beaches in the world are in Africa both in the north and all along the coast east and west and south.

Because no one can be so well traveled as to have seen aven a tiny portion of the world´s great beaches I will limt myself to Mexico. The greatest beaches in Mexico as defined by the OP, are in a stretch from about Celestun to Isla Holbox on the northern Gulf Coast. There are also wonderful beach lands, although the beaches themselves are small and paltry in general, along the mostly deserted coast in the south of Quintana Roo just above Belize.

But the beaches and impoverished beach shantytowns from about Progreso and Dzilam de Bravo in the northern Yucatan Gulf Coast are the best beach places in Mexico if one has matured beyond the need for underdressed fat American girls from Corpus Christie and cheeseburger sliders accompanied by cold beer and pork rinds.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Mar 28, 2009, 5:01 PM)

sioux4noff

Mar 28, 2009, 10:37 PM

Post #5 of 12 (4538 views)

Shortcut

The best beach in Mexico is the one 3 blocks from my house. I can walk down there is just a few minutes.

Oscar2

Mar 29, 2009, 10:21 AM

Post #6 of 12 (4504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] "Best" Beach

Dawg, I totally agree that the best beach to one can be a hellhole for someone else and although a bit cliché, beauty can and perhaps does lie in the eye of the beholder. Although some of us do have a strong tendency to segue in directions other than Mexico, as an aside, Laugh some writers make a good story/point in doing so, by drawing comparisons “very effectively,” which I find enjoyable. Tell me Dawg, what would we do without your poignant and interesting stories, without ever using Alabama to crest your persona?

What you bring to a beach, is you, your picture, your take and yes, at times a very enjoyable and wonderful story. Some call it artistry, some call it talent, and of course, there are always those who call it BS. What makes for a good Mexican beach story is an amalgamation of it all. And as MC is my witness, you’ve got a good mix going for you.

About 40 some odd years ago and as a young , single 27 year old youngster, I had just had a fallout with a gal from New York, in which we became an item in PV and then rented a house in Zihuatanejo, until we went our own ways, shortly thereafter. When we split, I headed south toward Acapulco, then north up the coast to a kind of shanty strip of land between a lagoon and a ferocious sea called Pie de la Cuesta.

Lodging and food then was very inexpensive and caution was thrown to the wind by emotional gusts, which fancied living on the edge. I was young, very young, eager, foolish and I had a penchant toward showing off while riding bone crushing waves at Pie de la Cuesta. Now as a surfer then, waves in PDLC, were not meant for surfing, so after bone breaking efforts, I played with these humongous wave’s but now only as a body surfer.

The Acapulco beach boys would come periodically to body surf these waves by negotiating and maneuvering the waves temperament. The wave’s main interest was to constantly crush anyone or anything in its way while claiming the sand on the beach. These thunderous waves at times would shake the shore, the huts, and the ground you stood on. They didn’t crash far enough away to give your body some room to ride it’s crest, instead they literally released its weight and power on you in less then 18 inches of water.

I enjoyed watching the Acapulco body surfers because they had it down to a science. They practically walked up to this mountain of water, seemingly determined to swallow them up and spit them out as refuge for the sand to claim, “if” they didn’t handle them right. With nerves wired like steel, these young defiant’s would wait out these foam spitting giants. As soon as they crested, at it’s peak, these youngsters would literally leap forward and upward into the air, feet first, upside down, their backs against the wave and the uprising water groaned as it lifted them feet first, and as the wave started to rise higher and higher to crash toward shore, the wave had already scooped them up, upside down and when it broke, the force of the water on the back of their legs would literally spit them out the opposite direction toward the sea. As if, being catapulted and/or shot out like of a cannon. This was not only dangerous but it looked magnificent. If you were standing on shore, you’d watch these surfers and against the translucence of the sun, sky and the sea, these beach boys looked like human fish, upside down, while the wave carried them, just like fish seen through the waves with the ease and grace of a Dolphin. I was young and strong then and getting up to speed with them was not only a challenge but also something tremendously enjoyable, I will never forget.

Of course, today is another day and as I sit here, reflecting, sharing is fun, and yes, it has its rewards in the form of entertainment…. Dos Centavos..

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Mar 29, 2009, 11:31 AM)

Carron

Mar 29, 2009, 11:55 AM

Post #7 of 12 (4483 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] "Best" Beach

An excellent post!!! I learned some of life's best lessons on beaches when I was in college. I remember two in particular, and although neither was in Mexico (that didn't come until many years later), they influenced my eventual move SoB.

I grew up in a small town outside New Orleans, living with a very uptight mother in a very miserable marriage which pretty much left her as a single parent. She spent many hours complaining that she wished she could travel. (The not spoken implication, of course, was that I tied her down to a miserable life.)

Anyway, when I was a senior in college I spent weekends with a roommate who lived in an Antebellum mansion on the Mississippi coast just across the highway from the Gulf beach. We used to hide our beer in holes we dug in the sand during the day, then sneak back out to the beach at night. She gigged for flounders while I contemplated the future. On one memorable occasion, as I watched the stars twinkle above and the ocean liners slipping away from New Orleans to exotic ports beyond, I had an epiphany: I could have been on any beach anywhere in the world, and I would have still been me. Same personality, same baggage, same soul. I would be feeling the same about life and about me. We bring ourselves with us no matter where we may wander. I have therefore always tried to be a happy wanderer.

My other beach experience happened not long thereafter. A group of girlfriends and I drove in my car to Miami for Spring Break during the mid-60's. I don't think the Interstate was completed at the time so we took the road way down the western coast, along the Gulf side of the state. We had plenty of time and so we stopped at everything and anything that looked interesting along the way. Soon after we passed a chain gang in Two Egg, Georgia (yes, they wore black and white stripes and were all chained together as they worked on the highway), we turned south into Florida and then took a dirt road off the highway toward the Gulf.

It was amazing! We dead-ended up on a high, desolate cliff from which I imagined that I could see all the way to Mexico. I knew that my major goal in life was to someday visit that other country. Obviously I made it.

S & C

Apr 11, 2009, 3:53 PM

Post #8 of 12 (4277 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] "Best" Beach

To me the best beach is right where I spend my winters, Tankah Tres, Q Roo, about 3 miles north of Tulum.
A photo is with my sign on.
Stan

Hound Dog

Apr 11, 2009, 4:13 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4273 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] "Best" Beach

I grew up in a small town outside New Orleans, living with a very uptight mother in a very miserable marriage which pretty much left her as a single parent. She spent many hours complaining that she wished she could travel. (The not spoken implication, of course, was that I tied her down to a miserable life.)

Good God, Carron,

Most of that paragraph was redundant and unnecessary. An uptight mom in Louisiana in a miserable marraige wishing she could travel? Get serious. The very definition of southern life.

My mom delighted in telling me I was born in Stabler Hospital in Greenville, Alabama at 6:00AM on February 7, 1942 during a severe thunderstorm and that that was a precursor of an unstable life that followed and I don´t know if those meteorlogical phenomena had anything to do with what came after that ignominious arrival on the planet but I wil tell you that I am not only retarded but disengaged from normal human intelligent intercourse and that is why many of you find me unbearable.

We southerners have this burden to bear. Namely that we were born in a place even God would avoid and considered a mistake on his part but at least we were not born in craphole like Des Moines. Thank God for small favors.

By the way, I have discovered the best beach in North America and I will share that discovery with all of you soon.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 11, 2009, 4:15 PM)

santiagostan

Apr 11, 2009, 8:37 PM

Post #10 of 12 (4232 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] "Best" Beach

I agree with sioux4noff, the "best" beach is the one 4 blocks from my house. I don't think there is a "best" beach as it depends on what you want to do. A shelling beach is not the same as a surfing beach, or a walking beach. However the "best" beach I saw in Mexico on my boat was Bonanza Beach, but it was for walking, shelling and seeing the indigenous black rabbits. There is no surf there so if your idea of the "best" beach is surfing then you will have to go somewhere else.

geri

Apr 12, 2009, 11:00 AM

Post #11 of 12 (4180 views)

Shortcut

Playa Carrizalillo in Puerto Escondido. Fresh fish grilled under palapas, gentle waves, secluded cove, crystal clear water. With a book and sun block, it's pretty close to paradise for me.

BajaGringo

Apr 26, 2009, 7:50 PM

Post #12 of 12 (3992 views)

Shortcut

As in everything else in Mexico your definition of such things probably varies from others based on personal preferences. What is remote to some means you have to drive six hours on dirt/washboard roads to get there, packing everything in and to others it may simply mean that you will see few other people there during an average day. My personal definition of "Best Beach" includes the following:

1. Clean / blue water
2. Minimum 10 miles off any paved road
3. Maximum 30 miles off any paved road
4. NOT listed on any tourist map
5. NOT been reviewed on any travel guide
6. NOT being pushed by 100 real estate agents
7. Blend of rocky and sandy beaches
8. Tide pools
9. Undisturbed marine life (starfish / sea urchins / etc)
10. Backdrop topography (hills/mountains/etc)
11. Good fishing
12. Good diving
13. Less than 6 hours from US border
14. Mild, year round weather

That was our wish list when we set out to build our new place in Baja. I would have been happy to have found 8 out of the list and we lucked out and found all 14. Your preferences may/probably will be different. Make your list and find it like we did...

YMMV

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4