Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Rolly

Mar 21, 2009, 12:07 PM

Post #1 of 19 (9704 views)

Shortcut

Taco vs. Taquito

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have added a nothing little page to my cooking stories. It's about the question of what is a taco vs. what is a taquito.

http://rollybrook.com/taco_vs_taquito.htm

I'd be interested to learn what these things are called in your neck of the woods.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Mar 21, 2009, 12:14 PM

Post #2 of 19 (9701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Taco vs. Taquito

Everywhere I've lived in Mexico:

The soft ones (pictured on the left on your page) are always tacos.

The rolled and fried ones (pictured on the right on your page) are always taquitos.

Soft tacos, folded in half as pictured, fastened shut with a toothpick, and fried until the tortilla is golden, are tacos dorados.

Regional differences, no?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Jetski

Mar 21, 2009, 2:51 PM

Post #3 of 19 (9683 views)

Shortcut

Hi Rolly, the page could use a short explanation about the word play of taco de ojo. ;-)

You have an excellent site btw, from a building contractor perspective your explanation about the popular building process is right on.

morgaine7

Mar 29, 2009, 3:49 PM

Post #4 of 19 (9544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Taco vs. Taquito

In Reply To
Regional differences, no?

I went to my favorite seafood taco stand today, determined to try dorado, which is on the menu. When I ordered, the man replied, "Disculpe, no tenemos dorado hoy." It occurred to me belatedly that in this seaside town, the menu item must refer to the *fish* called dorado rather than the way the taco is prepared!

Kate

Carron

Mar 29, 2009, 4:21 PM

Post #5 of 19 (9539 views)

Shortcut

I have also here in the borderlands on both sides of the river frequently heard taquitos referred to as flautas. They are especially good filled with a dry curd cottage cheese and served with salsa picante and finely shredded cabbage, then topped off with crema.

yucatandreamer

Mar 29, 2009, 8:53 PM

Post #6 of 19 (9523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Taco vs. Taquito

codzitos here in Merida

Rolly

Mar 30, 2009, 8:20 AM

Post #7 of 19 (9506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Taco vs. Taquito

Sorry, Yucatandreamer, I don't understand your post. What is/are codzitos?

Rolly Pirate

yucatandreamer

Mar 30, 2009, 9:13 AM

Post #8 of 19 (9501 views)

Shortcut

I guess I was a little vague. Taquitos or Flautas here are called codzitos. They are crispish rolled up tortillas topped with tomato sauce and cheese.

Carron

Mar 30, 2009, 11:58 AM

Post #9 of 19 (9486 views)

Shortcut

I have never been able to discern any culinary differences between a cheese taco and a quesadilla. They seem the same to me.

My Mexican daughter-in-law refers to almost any food served at her house as tacos. "Is everyone ready for tacos?" I think that is because everything they eat is first cut or torn into bite-size pieces, then put into a folded tortilla before going into the mouth. This goes for steak, BBQ ribs, stew, or scrambled eggs. Salad included. And it is a convenient way to feed toddlers and pre-schoolers.

sergiogomez

Mar 30, 2009, 12:43 PM

Post #10 of 19 (9481 views)

Shortcut

Agreed. How many times do you go over to someone's house and hear them ask, No quieren un taco? Sometimes it just means something to eat. Even if that something is a soup.

Here tacos dorados are fried, and folded, not rolled. But the little rolled things with fake meat from the store are still called taquitos. As are soft, folded homemade tacos made with tortillas that are smaller than normal. And when the boy wants to steal food from my plate, he says, No más quiero un taquillo. And if I'm lucky, it really is only a bite or two, rolled up in a tortilla.

sergiogomez

Mar 30, 2009, 12:48 PM

Post #11 of 19 (9480 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I have never been able to discern any culinary differences between a cheese taco and a quesadilla. They seem the same to me.

A cheese taco can be made with a number of different types of cheese and "should" be served with toppings like lettuce, avocado, and salsa to put inside the taco. A quesadilla is a quesadilla because it's usually made with soft "quesadilla" cheese, some of the toppings are folded inside (by the cook, instead of the eater), and the salsa is served on top. Tacos stay upright and you twist your head to eat them. Quesadillas are held horizontally or laid flat on the plate and eaten with a fork.

Differences, schmiferences. Aren't they fun?

morgaine7

Mar 30, 2009, 1:23 PM

Post #12 of 19 (9474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Taco vs. Taquito

I enjoy what I guess must be quesadillas doradas, which I initially made by accident. It involves crisping tortillas in a little oil or butter, adding cheese (Oaxaca or Chihuahua for me) while the tortillas are still foldable, then continuing to cook folded until the cheese melts and the outside is golden. When ready, I add salsa picante (inside so that I can eat them horizontally in my hand). Sorta like Mexicanized grilled cheese.

Kate

sergiogomez

Mar 30, 2009, 1:44 PM

Post #13 of 19 (9472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Taco vs. Taquito

Accidents lead to the best (okay, and sometimes the worst) discoveries in the kitchen. Mexican grilled cheese, coming right up as soon as I get home. Add beans and you have a meal. Can't get any better than a fast, nutritious dinner.

My two most recent good accidents resulted in what I call a drinkable mango on a stick, tequila optional, and vodka/cream cheese chocolate cake, which tastes better than it might sound.

morgaine7

Mar 30, 2009, 2:20 PM

Post #14 of 19 (9468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Taco vs. Taquito

Forgot to specify that I use corn tortillas. Here in BCS we have thinnish ones, but I bet thick ones would also work. It takes a little practice to get the right amount of crunch and melt the cheese without burning the tortillas, and I've tried a gazillion different cheeses to get the best taste and "melt".

Vodka cream cheese chocolate cake sounds yummy! Hmmm, I can picture how that accident might have happened. Wonder if it would work with Bailey's? ;-)

Kate

Rolly

Mar 30, 2009, 2:59 PM

Post #15 of 19 (9461 views)

Shortcut

Everyone I know in Lerdo uses Chihuahua cheese for melting. I don't know if it is available all over México.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Mar 30, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #16 of 19 (9454 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Forgot to specify that I use corn tortillas. Here in BCS we have thinnish ones, but I bet thick ones would also work. It takes a little practice to get the right amount of crunch and melt the cheese without burning the tortillas, and I've tried a gazillion different cheeses to get the best taste and "melt".

Look at your market for queso adobera--it's a melting cheese--or try queso Chihuahua, which is available all over Mexico, Rolly. Sometimes it's called queso menonita.

Here in Michoacán, quesadillas are deep-fried. The uncooked tortilla (just the formed masa) is filled with cheese and whatever other ingredients the eater wants and is then deep fried till golden brown and crunchy. My favorite filling is mole--it drips down your arm to your elbow while you eat it, but oh man--it's fantastic.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

morgaine7

Mar 30, 2009, 5:01 PM

Post #17 of 19 (9445 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, I think I've seen adobera and will try it. Chihuahua is what I prefer for this and a few other melty dishes. Oaxaca will also work. I find a big difference among brands, though, even for the same type of cheese. The same brand will have (say) a good Chihuahua but a lousy Oaxaca, or vice versa, so I keep trying different ones until I'm happy.

The deep-fried quesadillas sound wonderful!

Kate

Carron

Apr 6, 2009, 1:11 PM

Post #18 of 19 (9383 views)

Shortcut

Hubby borrowed some cookbooks from the library in Del Rio so I would have something to read out at the ranch and I just ran across this recipe in one called BORN TO GRILL by Jamison and Jamison. It is called a quesadilla dorada. I will summarize the quick and easy how-to in my own words.

Grill a large flour tortilla about 1 1/2 minutes until crispy. Flip over onto a baking sheet. Top with a mixture of creamy goat cheese and your favorite melting cheese. Add slivered green onions and some yellow squash blossoms which have been quartered lengthwise and gently wilted (steam or microwave). Put tortilla back on the grill, topping side up. Heat another couple of minutes til the cheese is gooey.

morgaine7

Apr 6, 2009, 6:32 PM

Post #19 of 19 (9365 views)

Shortcut

Oh, yum!! I never thought of trying to make them with goat cheese, which I love. Thanks, Carron!

Kate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4