Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

movintomx

Mar 17, 2009, 9:03 PM

Post #1 of 26 (12464 views)

Shortcut

Safety in lakeside

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone give me an update on the safety issues in the lakesie area? We were there in January and fell in love with it. We decided to move there and now all we hear is do not go, it is not safe, travel warnings from the state dept ect... We did not feel threatened at all while we were there, and loved the people. Is there anything we should know or is the US just over reacting and or just bashing Mexico in general? We know there has been issues with the drug cartel, but thought it was just in the border states. Any opinions out there???
Thanks!

RickS

Mar 17, 2009, 10:08 PM

Post #2 of 26 (12417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [movintomx] Safety in lakeside

....is the US just over reacting or...

Well, for one thing it is Spring Break time. And think of the potential law suits if a bunch of folks came down to out-of-control Mexico and somehow got themselves killed or hurt badly and that their government, knowing that there was mighty unrest south of the border, did not warn them of the dire consequences of venturing out of the safe confines of the good ole US of A!

Let your own experience while you were at Lakeside guide you. Did you feel like your life was in danger while there? No, I didn't think so.

Me, I'm going down in a week or two!

Septiembre

Mar 18, 2009, 7:07 AM

Post #3 of 26 (12369 views)

Shortcut

We live in Ajijic and walk to events and restaurants routinely after dark. I would never do that when I lived in downtown Washington D.C.

Having said that, petty theft is not uncommon here and you do have to take extra precautions about your property. But this is the same stuff required in any major urban area N.O.B. For example, you don't go off leaving stuff in plain view in your car. You don't leave your camera sitting on a table in a restaurant while you go to the bathroom.

You do secure your house more. You don't walk around in crowds with readily snatched or picked jewelry and purses.

In other words, use basic common sense.

This is the best place by far I have ever lived, and I've lived in all four quadrants of the U.S. The near-perfect year round weather confers a freedom of movement and level of comfort that is beyond compare. The compact villages (if you chose to live in one) free you from car slavery.

The U.S. has turned into a nut house and the media up there is all about sensationalizing and pushing left wing politics. The drug crime is paid for by Americans who consume 90 percent of the drugs and then sell guns to the narcos. Mexicans are exhibiting extraordinary courage in the face of assassination to fight this U.S. spawned crime.

This U.S. isn't the country I was born into and grew up in. I have no desire to return.

Jean_S

Mar 18, 2009, 9:17 AM

Post #4 of 26 (12331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Septiembre] Safety in lakeside

I too feel perfectly safe here. The problems that are happening are mostly up at the border towns.

We are roughtly 600 miles from the border and it's problems.

Now imagine someone telling you not to go to a small town in Washington state because there are murders and gangs in Los Angeles.

I feel much safer here than I've ever felt in large cities in the US.

(This post was edited by Jean_S on Mar 18, 2009, 9:59 AM)

Jerry@Ajijic

Mar 18, 2009, 9:48 AM

Post #5 of 26 (12317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean_S] Safety in lakeside

In the 11+ years we have lived here there have been less people killed that there was in a month in central Florida where we used to live and Florida was and is not a unsafe place in the US.

Moss L

Mar 18, 2009, 12:29 PM

Post #6 of 26 (12289 views)

Shortcut

The following are facts gathered from the US State Department and other reliable sources:

In 2008 Mexico had 22.6 million foreign tourists; 80% or 18.08 million were from the USA.

According to the US State Department 200 Americans were killed in the Mexico drug wars in the last 5 years. Most occurred in border cities, including Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez and Nuevo Laredo, where violence has spiked with drug cartel feuds in recent years. The analysis showed that at least two dozen American victims were cartel hitmen, drug dealers, smugglers or gang members involved in organized crime. Over 100 others were drug users or wanted for crimes in the United States.

But in at least 70 other cases (over the last 5 years), the Americans were killed in Mexico while there on seemingly innocent business: visiting family, vacationing or living and working there.

Mexican Congressman Juan Francisco Rivera Bedoya of Nuevo Leon said most American victims get killed after crossing the border for illegal activities or venturing into unsafe areas. "Tourists visiting cathedrals, museums and other cultural centers are not at risk," he said.

The Tijuana cartel controls the north-western part of Mexico and the smuggling routes into San Diego. The Tijuana cartel is battling the Juárez and Sinaloa cartels for control of the Arizona and Texas routes.

The Gulf cartel controlling northeast Mexico is teamed up with the Tijuana cartel against the Juárez cartel and Sinaloa Juárez cartel alliance. Together they are trying to gain control of the Arizona and Texas borders.

The Juárez cartel controls Juárez, Chihuahua, and Navojoa, Sonora (north-central Mexico), and the smuggling into Texas. The Juárez and Sinaloa cartels have joined forces against the Tijuana cartel for the San Diego border and the routes into the eastern USA.

The Sinaloa cartel from Culiacán controls Baja California, Sinaloa, Durango, Sonora, Chihuahua and the Arizona border smuggling routes. The Sinaloa cartel is linked to the Juárez cartel in a strategic alliance following the partnership of their rivals, the Gulf and Tijuana cartels. The Sinaloa / Juárez alliance has been fighting the Tijuana cartel for the San Diego business, and the Gulf Cartel in Juárez where are fighting for control of the distribution network.

Nearly all of the 5,740 narcos killed in 2008 were killed by other narcos. Narcos also killed 450 police and soldiers, and 100 civilians were accidently killed in their crossfire. 95% of the violence is in border cities along the US/Mexico border, in particular Juárez, Nuevo Laredo and Tijuana.

Is Chapala (or any other area where intelligent or law abiding Americans go to retire or vacation) in the region where the narcos are fighting for control of the narcotic business? No.

Check out former Dallas Police Officer, Sid Grosvenors opinion of crime in the Lake Chapala area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOa07hCJH4

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 18, 2009, 12:52 PM)

smokesilver

Mar 18, 2009, 6:38 PM

Post #7 of 26 (12208 views)

Shortcut

Essentially I agree with your comments but, I, for one avoid those news media outlets, both printed & TV that are constantly ranting, raving & espousing right wing dribble.

Septiembre

Mar 18, 2009, 6:47 PM

Post #8 of 26 (12206 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smokesilver] Safety in lakeside

Well that's easy because there aren't many of those. I take it left wing dribble is OK with you, though. Lot's of choices there.

That's why I enjoy my Guadalajara Reporter and the Lake Chapala Review (Judy King & Darry Tannebaum). Unlike their competitor "Ojo del left wing politics) Darry & Judy keep the focus on Mexico and Lakeside happenings.

I was quite happy to leave all that other claptrap NOB.

LOL

(This post was edited by Septiembre on Mar 18, 2009, 6:48 PM)

moonfam5

Mar 18, 2009, 8:12 PM

Post #9 of 26 (12176 views)

Shortcut

I feel safer in my wife's hometown of Cotija, Mich. than I do in downtown L.A.
WinkThe more I learn, I less I know.

(This post was edited by moonfam5 on Mar 18, 2009, 8:13 PM)

Ivester

Mar 19, 2009, 6:17 AM

Post #10 of 26 (12135 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The U.S. has turned into a nut house and the media up there is all about sensationalizing and pushing left wing politics.

Well, I'd certainly agree with the first part of that, but "pushing left wing politics"? I'm a lefty myself, and I'd love to find some of that wild left-wing media here in the United States of Limbaugh, but outside of one cable channel (Link) and 2 weeknight hours on MSNBC, I just can't find it!

Septiembre

Mar 19, 2009, 7:39 AM

Post #11 of 26 (12116 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ivester] Safety in lakeside

I find most lefties are pretty blind to the media bias. Suggest you simply check the very extensive polling on this topic. No matter the source, left or right, the results are the same.

BTW, your new regime has broken its word to Mexico on the truck deal and Mexico is going to retaliate with tariffs on 60 U.S. imports. This despite in 2007 Mexico agreed to reciprocate by letting U.S. trucks in. To compound the error, the Porkulus bill contained a "buy American" provision that is a direct violation of trade agreements with Europe.

Personally, I view unilateral action, either military or on trade, by any administration as a very bad idea in today's world. I find it particularly ironic that this individual and his party made a big deal out of the previous administration's going off without consulting allies and friends. And then proceeds to do the same on trade. Guess they never studied Smoot Hawley in school.

And this is political and they ask us not to do so, so I'm ending it here. I think in due course you are going to learn that the laws of economics have not been suspended regardless of whom is in office, and depressions are not cured by printing money and hiring government employees.

Rolly

Mar 19, 2009, 8:13 AM

Post #12 of 26 (12107 views)

Shortcut

Re: Safety in lakeside

[rant] Folks, remember that religion and politics are not good subjects to discuss here. Reporting and commenting on governmental actions are OK, but lets not get into the politics of the matter. Yes, I know it's a fine line, but lets work at it. Thanks. [/rant]

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 19, 2009, 8:14 AM)

RickS

Mar 19, 2009, 11:48 AM

Post #13 of 26 (12056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Safety in lakeside

In this case, I don't think it is a very fine line at all...... JMO

jorge avelar

Mar 21, 2009, 10:04 PM

Post #14 of 26 (11909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Safety in lakeside

Talk about politics or do politics is not the same. Who can talk about politics? Everybody.
Talk about the government is doing politics? Depends on what are your talking. The FEPADE defines what is wrong and what is right when talking about politics or doing politics.

If you talk wrong about the government that is called wrong intervention or interfering with the Mexican government. But when you say the true, is that wrong?

I am not agree about this issue. The board is not going to be penalized. The poster is responsible for what ever he is posting. Imaging trying to blame a web board for somebody else's post? That's incorrect. If I hate a daily news then I will post awful things on it's web page to get them penalize. that sounds logical?

SALUDOS
Lakeside Chapala Services. Cel 3331375610, Land Line 376-7653031

(This post was edited by jorge avelar on Mar 21, 2009, 10:06 PM)

Jean_S

Mar 22, 2009, 6:39 AM

Post #15 of 26 (11889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jorge avelar] Safety in lakeside

I think what Rolly might be saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, we normally do not discuss any politics in this forum.

The original topic is Safety In Lakeside. Not politics.

I don't think it's fair to the original poster to take it off topic.

jorge avelar

Mar 22, 2009, 8:23 AM

Post #16 of 26 (11883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean_S] Safety in lakeside

I believe so, and I am triying to complete it's thinking. The real sense of my post is let's not been paranoiac in talking about some related issues.

Who is in charge of security? Government. Yous must imply them also. Are you going to be doing politics? of course you won't. So let's talk about facts that would help my system. I am very involved with the system and is O.K. to criticize it so we get different opinions and also because the expats in this area are many, so that is needed.

I think and I am very sure what we really need is and educated police. An academy police is needed everywhere. They must know the law, moral and ethicals value, and so on. The people we actually have is people not trained, not educated (most of them). They are becoming police because the need of money and not because they have the vocation to serve and protect.

SALUDOS
Lakeside Chapala Services. Cel 3331375610, Land Line 376-7653031

(This post was edited by jorge avelar on Mar 22, 2009, 8:26 AM)

movintomx

Mar 22, 2009, 11:57 AM

Post #17 of 26 (11863 views)

Shortcut

My question was not intended to be at all political, nor to cause any type of friction with anyone on here.... That is why we are leaving the good ole US of A, to much stress, bickering among all the peoples whom are "looking out for our best interest ect..." All I was trying to find out is "is it safe to be in lakeside now"! We want to come there and live in peace in a stress free environment and hopefully make some friends in the process... We figured the Press & new's sources were hyping all of this up but was just hoping to get it form the sources that know, those of you living in lakeside.
Thanks to all of you who understood my question and my apoligies to those who did not.

Hound Dog

Mar 30, 2009, 11:12 AM

Post #18 of 26 (11497 views)

Shortcut

Not to belabor this point Movintomx but coincidentally there is a discussion of crime at Lakeside on Chapala.Com which you might find interesting. I am not in any way endorsing the opinions expressed there just letting you know about the discussion which is among some people I know and some I do not know.

I find this discussion interesting because we have lived in Mexico full time except for annual trips to my wife´s native France for over eight years now, the first six years full time at Lakeside and, for the past two years, about half the year at Lakeside and about half the year in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas. We have been in San Cristóbal since October of last year but plan to return to Lakeside for the beautiful summer there shortly. Since we haven´t been back to Lakeside since October, we are intrigued by the alarming reports of violent crime there but because we have lived there for so long we take these reports, mostly from foreign expat retirees living at Lakeside, with a grain of salt especially since we also reside in San Cristóbal which is a volatile place to say the least with constant tension among the city´s disparate factions of mestizos and various indigenous groups and believe me this tension is complex in nature and has not gone away since pre-colonial times.

Based on my experience living in Lakeside I would say your concerns about safety there are perhaps ill founded at present. At the same time, however, I would not take the concerns you have read written by certain members of the expat community lightly. I can tell you that, in my opinion, Lakeside is not the same place we moved to in 2001 and a lot of that has to do with the continued influx of foreigners perceived by the local community as wealthy, arrogant and as driving up the cost of living for locals for whom they have no concern or sympathy. I have seen this sort of thing happen on the Alabama Gulf Coast, on the west coast among Californians, Oregonians, Washingtonians and folks from places such as Arizona and Idaho and Utah. I have seen it happen in New Mexico and Colorado as Californians and Texans moved in and paid top dollar for property while forcing the working class to move to distant exurbs just to get by and find inexpensive housing. I have seen it happen just within the Los Angeles Basin and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area themselves as the wealthy force the poor into financial circumstances approaching penury and geographic discomfort as they must commute for hours to get to work and now find themselves living in marginal cities filled with empty foreclosed homes. I have seen it in France where the development of the TGV caused huge discrepancies in property values places in proximity of TGV rail lines and stations so that old towns and cities historically inhabited by common folks became bedroom communities for the rich and super rich. It has happened in spades on the Baja and Yucatan peninsulas where foreigners, mostly Americans, have bragged publicly about acquiring beach front properties in places like Tulum and Ensenada for what they considered chump change forcing the locals into federal housing or dismal swamps or the barest of hillside ghettos while inducing a backbreaking increase in their cost of living.

So, there is nothing unique about Lakeside today. It is a mirror image of what has happened elsewhere all over the world so if you are buying for the future - meaning a decade or more down the line, think about what may happen here as tensions perhaps rise and people become disenchanted.

That having been said, both Lakeside and (the not-comparable) Chiapas are fine places to live. So what you do is remember that the U.S. is a violent place with, I believe, more sadistic and senseless crime than most other American nations and just be sure to invest modestly here or anywhere else where you are a foreigner. I remember that my wife and I thought of buying a riverfront property in France in the 1970s when we could have picked it up for the equivalent of about $20,000USD; a property which is far more valuable today now that there is a TGV station just up the road and people can now commute in about an hour from Paris. She said something to the effect back then that one did not want to own property in France if one were not living at least part time in France because it was commonplace for squatters to take over unused property there and that French law was quite sympathetic towards sqautter´s rights over time if no protests were forthcoming from property owners on a timely basis.

Look, we´ve lived in very violent cities from Marseilles to Mobile to Oakland to San Francisco and worked in such U.S. hellholes as Manhattan in the 1970s. If all you are looking for is security, just you wait. You are on your way to achieving eternal peace. Come on down to Lakeside (or other far more interesting Mexican places I could name) and enjoy yourself. There are no pockets in a shroud.

Dawg's Far More Interesting Places Than Lakeside in a Nutshell (Where He´s Been, Anyway):
Veracruz
Merida
Many places in Oaxaca and Chiapas States
Queretaro
San Luis Pótosi
Antigua, Guatemala
The Córdoba/Fortin/Orizaba Corridor in Veracruz State
Guadalajara
Colima
Puerto Vallarta including the Nayarit Coast
Tuxtla Gutierrez
Bacalar, Quintana Roo
Guaymas
Lerdo (thrown in for my unmet friend Rolly)
Izamal, Yucatan
The Entire Gulf Coast of the Yucatan Peninsula from Celestun to Isla Holbox
Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo
Tlaxcala, Tlaxcala
Mexico City
Puebla
Zacatecas

I cannot go on but there are more. Please note that a common characteristic of the towns I mentioned above is that they are not in the sort of flux Lakeside is in for the most part. That includes San Cristóbal de Las Casas but that town, which we are very fond of, is not suited for all. In fact, we expect majot problems between the authorities and indigenous squatters to erupt at any time but we are still quite pleased we bought here but keep in mind that we have no need to sell at present so that is easy for us to say .

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Mar 30, 2009, 11:58 AM)

prmjcm

Mar 30, 2009, 11:19 AM

Post #19 of 26 (11494 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Safety in lakeside

dawg what about campeche, i am considering moving there, what do you think??? Pat Moore in san pancho gto.

Hound Dog

Mar 30, 2009, 11:31 AM

Post #20 of 26 (11489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prmjcm] Safety in lakeside

Pat:

We found the beach at Campeche to be a disappointment when compared to beaches up the road from Celestun and eastward but Campeche City is a national treasure and, after all, beaches aren´t everything as you probebly know. What a fabulous colonial treasure is Campeche but there ain't much going on there. Good luck whereever you go.

Septiembre

Mar 30, 2009, 2:23 PM

Post #21 of 26 (11459 views)

Shortcut

Hey Dawg, some of the places on your list remind me of that old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."

:>)

Here in Ajijic, we seem to go through spurts in crime. Overall, I'd say that where we live now is much more prone to theft than when we lived in Albuquerque, NM. We've found ourselves reverting to the kind of vigilance and defense that we used when we lived in inner-city Washington D.C.

The Chapala Forum thread on crime is a must read for the OP. I was a little taken aback as I know Pete Johansen personally and the kind of crime he is reporting is still pretty unusual around here. I don't know whether it is because his place really is a manse, and hence quite a visible attraction, or just what is going on. Until very recently, he had a lot of construction going on and that may have something to do with the problems he's having.

I hear very little of the personal crime around here, but, boy, they do like to steal stuff. In this crime category, it goes well beyond communities of similar size in the U.S. And the police are very little help.

Lakeside has three major things going for it IMO: Weather, first and foremost, from all appearances the best in the country.

Second is the close proximity to the second largest airport in the country. For those of us who travel, this is a big benefit, particularly since we don't even get much noise from it.

Third for us more elderly folks is the rapid access to first class medical treatment in GDL.

Many of the places on Dawg's list can't claim any of these. So you set your priorities and you takes your chances.

Hound Dog

Mar 30, 2009, 5:45 PM

Post #22 of 26 (11432 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for your input Septiembre. My list of places where one might retire that are for the most part very different from Lakeside was, as you clearly understand, simply supposed to be food for thought. In almost all of those places proficiency in Spanish is important as I found out recently in Chiapas when I nearly kicked the bucket in a hospital where no one spoke any English so none of those places is suitable for all. It seems to me that it is simply fun to speculate on the alternatives as well as to think about the possible downside for the near term (20 year or so) future of Lakeside which seems to be becoming a bit tense in many ways. The way things will actually go is anyone´s guess.

We´re on our way back to Lakeside for the summer so I trust the situation there is not as unpleasant as some have indicated as far as crime is concerned. If it is, want to buy a house? Just kidding of course. We may need a place to reside temporarily in case Sub-Comandante Marcos of the EZLN becomes irritable as he is often prone to do.

tashby

Mar 30, 2009, 6:05 PM

Post #23 of 26 (11425 views)

Shortcut

Well, more interesting than Lakeside isn't a very tough hurdle to clear. Whether or not those places are more livable is all a matter of priorities, as septiembre mentioned. I've been to several on that list, and I've enjoyed visiting many, but haven't found anywhere I'd particularly want to live (year-round). So, for now, we're here. But it is fun to contemplate and we definitely are continuing to look elsewhere.

Now back to the topic of safety at Lakeside....

Feels safe enough to me. Just avoid the parking lot at SuperLake. Jaybis.

Hound Dog

Mar 30, 2009, 7:10 PM

Post #24 of 26 (11407 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Safety in lakeside

That´s cute Tashby especially that part about the parking lot at Super Lake, the most dangerous place in Mexico or even in Ouagadougou.

You have jarred what little memory I have left and I hope I can get through this without having a senior moment.

I have been fortunate to have traveled about the world as a young man but that is mainly because I considered that to be more important than my career which is obvious if one reviews my rather unfortunate climb down the corporate ladder. I have faced many dangers as one would expect. I and my tourist companions in a van were nearly lynched in Nairobi in 1969 when some idiot tourist took a photograph of people in a busy market in that city one day ; a no-no in any sensible person´s book. This sort of danger was not uncommon in Africa in the 60s and I´m only alive because the African van driver paid off the infuriated market shoppers.

But this is about Lakeside and social tensions and violence and miscommunication and near death.

Despite the fact that I was a headstrong person and traveler to odd places around the globe and the fact that I often found myself in some physical danger and here I´m leaving out intellectual danger which is an occupational hazard of anyone who goes into commercial banking because he or she is under the impression that bankers only work from 10:00AM to 3:00PM Monday through Friday without realizing that the true sacrifice of a person´s career in banking is the absolute surrender of any personal integrity whatsoever and the humiliation of years with one´s nose up the boss´s ass.

So, back to the subject at hand. While I have often been in physical danger in my travels that was normally the danger from communal, non-personal violence it is Ajijic where that danger became the most personal and perhaps I am raising this incident to heights it does not deserve, I think it is an incident that defines the problems I think are waiting up the road at Lakeside like a bridge troll and that´s why I bring it up here.

Keep in mind that nothing like this has ever happened to me anywhere in Mexico or anyplace else.

About four years ago I was driving alone down the carretera in Ajijic and about the time I passed in front of the Farmacia Guadalajara I realized that a young Mexican driver in a van accompanied by his young wife and two children was tailgating me in an obviously dangerous manner so I slowed down by braking which infuriated him and he laid on his horn and made aggressive gestures toward me so I made aggressive hand gestures back at him and then pulled normally into the frontage road paint store across the street with no thought that this common incident would take on a character of its own.

This guy followed me and when I exited my car he exited his van and approached me and the following conversation ensued:

YOUNG GUY: You Gringo creep. Who the hell do you think you are? You arrogant Goddamned Gringos come down here and think you own the place and let me tell you something. You are in Mexico now and I could kill you on the spot here and never spend even a week in jail so I think I am going to kill you now,
HD: Well, excuse me.
YOUNG GUY: OK but don´t let it happen again.

You know, he was right. He could have killed me on the spot and gotten away with it and that´s just the way it is at Lakeside. This has never happened to me in touchy Chiapas or Oaxaca or even very touchy Mexico City.

You don´t need a weatherman to tell which way the wind´s blowing.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Mar 30, 2009, 7:14 PM)

carlw

Mar 31, 2009, 7:28 AM

Post #25 of 26 (11364 views)

Shortcut

That very same thing could have happened to you in Dallas, TX. except he may say "I can just kill you and go back to Mexico and . . ." Not a rare occurence in our part of the world. Such behavior is most often fueled by alcohol, and perhaps frustration among the young Mexicanos who do not have a wife or girlfriend here. As much as I love my Mexican friends here, ther crime level among them is unbelieveable.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4