Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

chirojoseph

Mar 18, 2009, 10:04 AM

Post #1 of 13 (5971 views)

Shortcut

In regards to locked thread on importing autos..

Can't Post | Private Reply
I respect the REASONS that our good moderator had for locking the VERY important and interesting thread on definitive importation of autos. Especially because some shmucks hijacked the thread to wax poetic on car ownership, politics etc etc...Hey, everyone has an opinion but remember "theres a time and place for everything."

As I read along I discovered that you ALL have important pieces of the puzzle...but thought id share with you one VERY important new "glitch" that TRANSITO can use to get a bribe or take your car away from you.
I live here in Cancun, where the traffic cops are probably MORE rascally, corrupt and knowledgable than anywhere else. Ive been driving my 93 truck that has its "temporary importation" sticker and is under my FM2 for many years. I have been stopped innumerable times and have always defended myself showing the famous article 106 that says we are allowed one vehicle under our FM to drive...and which also states indirectly that we, as residents working here, do NOT have to pay the temporary importation fee each and every year AS LONG AS our FM is vigente.

However, this traffic cop just smirked at me and said "show me your CURRENT REGISTRATION and INSPECTION STICKER from COlorado please sir"

gulp!!

The way the traffic cops are interpreting the transit law here now is the following:

"regardless of whether or not you have your FM2 or 3, regardless of whether you have a valid, current temp. importation sticker...you only have the right to drive the vehicle if it is "actual" or up to date in the state where your plates are from!!

Of course I argued that all the thousands of cars driving around QRoo couldnt possibly be driven back to their states of origen every year to update the inspection...and I for one have no idea if the state would send me a new registration each year seeing as how the car has been out fo the states for sooo long (i bought it here from another Gringo anyway..was never in my name in the states)...but he just smiled and held his hand out..bribe or we take your car to the corralon..where id probably never get my hands on it again.

SO...look out friends...our meager and tenous thread that has allowed us to continue to drive our old, reliable, beloved trucks is about to be severed. My only recourse now is to try to get a new temp. import sticker by hook or crook so at least the average transit crook (o sorry, imean cop) wont try to dig any deeper into the history of my vehicle. BUT, if and when they start cracking down with Retens (roadblocks) with the goal of "regularizing" our vehicles..we will be up the mierda creek without a paddle.

Only option for ME anyway will be to go to Belize and sell my truck for a song (very distasteful option) or try to sell it to some Ranchero who can use it to haul papayas or whatever for the rest of its life..sniff sniff...or, i guess, declare it "junked" ante la autoridad and try to sell it for parts..which would take patience but probably result in HIGHER resale...hell, each rim and 4x4 tire alone are worth 200 bucks!

I would hope we can keep the thread, if our moderator allows it, ON TRACK aND on subject now please folks..as ANY breaking news is vitally and immediately important for ALL of us. As one poster said, "the understanding and acceptance of the new rules varies greatly from state to state, from hacienda to aduana to transito, and there may appear a "loophole" for us yet...

i for one would like to continue to read all of your experiences and encounters and I believe that perhaps the thread could contain a "disclaimer" saying "act upon any advice you get here on your own risk...the info may be faulty"

ill take that risk..im not willing to give up my trusty Ranger just yet.
Saludos a todos y buen dia!!

chiroJOE

mcm

Mar 18, 2009, 2:57 PM

Post #2 of 13 (5907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chirojoseph] In regards to locked thread on importing autos..

Interesting post Chirojoseph.
Two questions:
1) Are you an inmigrado (i.e., had your FM-2 five years, and obtained Inmigrado status)? If so, that suggests that it is indeed "ok" to have a foreign-plated car with inmigrado status (the original question in the now locked thread).
2) I had been under the impression that only Aduana personnel could confiscate cars for importation problems -- it's been some years since we've been stopped, but here in Merida it was always roving trucks from the Aduana. Is it true that traffic police can also stop and impound cars, or do you think that that was a ploy for a pay-off?
thanks for the info!

chirojoseph

Mar 19, 2009, 9:02 PM

Post #3 of 13 (5786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] In regards to locked thread on importing autos..

NOT inmigrado...5 yrs Fm3 and now 2 yrs with FM2 proroga.
So my story really doesnt give any answers to the original question.

Probably its true that "only the Aduana" can confiscate your car. But when the police, in a big showy "reten" on our one and only highway, decide that your meager bribe of 500 pesos is a joke and have already been told by their supervisors that the "goal" for this month is to get the old american trash cars off the road..im sure they have a buddy IN or at least CLOSE enough to the Aduana to be able to squeeze a good 2000 pesos out. I for one would be very hard put to surrender my car, with my stereo and my awsome camping "caseta" and all the hard work in keeping her running all these years....Id be easy prey and id drive to the damn cajero for payoff money before I gave it to them, to go lose in their Corralons in the middle of nowhere..with 20 days of beaurocracy to try to get it out again....just think about the logistical nightmare that it would become!

Lawyer told me today we have the good contact who will make sure I get another Temporary import sticker...but as a TOURIST..not as an FM holder..so at least for another year I should be able to squeak by as long as they dont decide that its a pressing issue to get all us late model drivers off the road.

But again, if ANYBODY has any info on some sort of moratorium for legalizing these "over 10 yrs" vehicles please share!!

Its hard to believe that the politicians wouldnt be interested in making 100s of thousands of pesos of Taxes on the vehicles ALREADY IN mexico...the ones that have a history of temp. importation. OK, so they dont let any NEW junk into the country...but as long as the junk is already IN the country..why not tax the shit out of it and put it in your pocket somehow?? I mean, were in Mexico!! Its TRADITION for gods sake! hehe..

Come on Ol Espurious Calderon!! Ill pay your damn taxes, just let me legalize Betsy ya stingy fart..

buen vientos!
kyro

Rolly

Mar 19, 2009, 9:45 PM

Post #4 of 13 (5782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chirojoseph] In regards to locked thread on importing autos..

Lets clear up a point about the police impounding a car.

It's true the only the Feds can seize your vehicle for a permit infraction. But that does not preclude the state or city cops from impounding your car for other reasons.

For example, if you cause an accident and reach an agreement to pay for the damage you caused, but you don't have the cash to settle right away and need some time to pay, it is unlikely that you will be held in jail. It is more likely that your car will be impounded until you pay off the accident. There is a large impound lot here in Lerdo full of such "guest" cars.

Rolly Pirate

Septiembre

Mar 20, 2009, 7:25 AM

Post #5 of 13 (5768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] In regards to locked thread on importing autos..

Rolly, can you comment on the Transito holding the guy up for current registration and inspection sticker? We have the same problem re the inspection sticker on our TX plated car. The tags are current but we won't be renewing the inspection until we go to the U.S. later this year.

I suppose all of this could be avoided by getting the infamous Dakota tags, as they require no inspection.

Rolly

Mar 20, 2009, 8:14 AM

Post #6 of 13 (5759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Septiembre] In regards to locked thread on importing autos..

All I can say is there is no accounting for what tránsitos do. There are many reports of crooked ones, yet in my town they are all honest, friendly, hard-working guys and gals.

Rolly Pirate

alex .

Mar 20, 2009, 2:08 PM

Post #7 of 13 (5727 views)

Shortcut

getting wrapped around the axle

I dunno, we see so many different variations on what to do with our car in Mexico that it makes me wonder why we are so focussed on the subject. I try to imagine what I would do if there were no cars, that we still rode horses. What would I do if I couldn't get my horse to Mexico due to it being too far to ride, or because it was too old, or I still owed money on it, or maybe my wife just plain won't let me. (its in her name, you see) Lets see......I'd get a Mexican horse of course. Now, I might miss my old horse 'cause he knew his way home from the bar , always stopped when I'd say whoa, etc, but he isn't the ONLY HORSE IN THE WORLD.
Alex

chirojoseph

Mar 20, 2009, 8:50 PM

Post #8 of 13 (5699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] getting wrapped around the axle

sigh....

here we go again, the hijackers are on the loose. Its more dangerous than Somalia on this forum!! hehe..

Look, the topic is what the topic is...if you are not interested in the topic or you think that we should all buy mexican horses....GO TO THE MEXICAN HORSE TOPIC and dont waste your time reading our blarney. Thats HOW FORUMS WORK. Certain topics are of interest for certain people..nobody is forcing you to read our discussions...and nobody is asking for your opinion either in case you havent noticed.

I agree wholeheartedly with our moderator...there is NO ACCOUNTING for what transito in YOUR state may do or say or believe or have been told...all we can do is our best to stay somewhat within the loosely defined "law" of the imported cars. As i mentioned earlier, have appointment on monday to get my new sticker..but will do so as a "tourist" instead of as a FM holder...according to most i have spoken with, there is no distinction made when you are stopped. THey dont say "hey, can i see your license, passport and swear on this bible that you dont have a FM already"...so I THINK i may be okay for a year.

but i promise to report if thats not the case. I will continue to pursue the definite import of my vehicle..as i truly DO want to be legal and get my mexi tags. Unfortunately, Im not down here living on a trust fund as maybe our hecklers on these threads are...otherwise I WOULD just sell my poor truck for parts and buy a new Toyota 4 door at elevated mexi prices with rediculously high rates of interest in financing it...but i actually work for a living down here and have to use this vehicle at least another year as I save.

Keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of "moratorium" that may allow us to get plates someday soon.

alex .

Mar 21, 2009, 5:47 PM

Post #9 of 13 (5653 views)

Shortcut

a horse of a different color

Having been here for almost eleven years now, I have a pretty good idea how the fora work. Thanks for the advice, though, I'll perform a search on importing horses right away.

You will find low tolerance for people who move to Mexico with limited resources, try to work around the rules, ignore advice, and wondering why their problems have no solution.

The very best of luck to you in your endeavors,

Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Mar 21, 2009, 8:30 PM)

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 22, 2009, 3:42 PM

Post #10 of 13 (5600 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] a horse of a different color

I have a low tolerance for "know-it-alls" but I guess we can't get rid of those folks either. Can we PLEASE stick to the topic????

chirojoseph

Mar 22, 2009, 6:22 PM

Post #11 of 13 (5581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] a horse of a different color

My dearest Alex,

Congrats on 11 years in mexico...weve been here about the same time and so we both know its almost always more difficult than youd ever expect!

Did you find anything with your search for Dead Horses to Beat with Cactus?? ;)

Are you a paraglider pilot by the way? (if so send me a PM!) or bungy jumping? I see you have a harness on in your picture...but now IM getting OFF TOPIC! Jeez..its contagious;)

Sorry, I just get twitchy when I percieve posts in a GOOD THREAD that are either completely off topic or appear to be aimed at denying the validity of the interchange in information that is occurring.

a GOOD forum is a gift from the internet gods..putting intelligent people together and promoting the interchange of info...all FREE free free!! I am lucky enough to be involved in many different forums..from health care to sports to travel..and I have learned SOOOOO much and they have saved me money, time, and tears.

I promise not to step on your toes if you promise not to bugger my dead horses...howz that sound?? hehe...

PEACE

alex .

Mar 23, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #12 of 13 (5534 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] a horse of a different color

Its not a different topic, its the same one. The reference to a Mexican horse was not literal, it was an artistic way of saying: Get a mexican car already; how much time, money, and effort saving a 16-year old US expired plated ranger pickup makes sense?

I think there is plenty of tolerance going on, recall all the interaction about starting an internet cafe? Its common for folks to come here with questions, take the advice that agrees with their idea , discard opposing opinions as cranky-old-man advice, do what they were going to do anyway, then whine about the outcome.

THAT is the nature of the forums.

Alex

alex .

Mar 23, 2009, 8:02 AM

Post #13 of 13 (5529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chirojoseph] a horse of a different color

Not eleven years in Mexico, 11 years on this forum. Only 3 years in Mexico.
The harness is fall arrest hardware, limiting a fall to 2 meters.
Peace, brother, I get it: the truck has sentimental value, you can't afford another one, so you will do what is necessary to keep it. That is your focus, your mission, its all good.
Its true what you say: that my opinion doesn't matter, its worth what you paid for it. My prediction (another unsolicited, free opinion from intelligent minds coming together for a common cause) is that soon the 16 year old truck will break down and you will have saved it for nothing. or someone else with a broken truck of similar vintage will decide that he needs it worse than you do.
Alex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4