Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Carron

Mar 15, 2009, 2:49 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6556 views)

Shortcut

What to do with dried shrimp??

Can't Post | Private Reply
I grew up in New Orleans where fresh off-the-boat seafood was an almost everyday menu item. We didn't eat much fish but gorged ourselves on shrimp, raw oysters, and crabs.

We love seafood and now frequent the fish counter at our local Soriana. Even though we are inland, on the eastern edge of the Chihuahuan desert, it offers a fantastic array of iced goodies, especially fresh shrimp which we buy by the kilo(s) and boil as soon as we get them home.

But during each annual Cuaresma the aisles of every store in town are filled with packages of dried shrimps and powdered shrimp. I would like to cook some but don't have a clue how best to prepare them. Hubby doesn't really like soups but is always willing to try something new. Suggestions for preparations????

Rolly

Mar 15, 2009, 3:17 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] What to do with dried shrimp??

Suggestion #1: forget the awful stuff

Suggestion #2: Look here: http://rollybrook.com/lent1.htm

#3 And even worse: http://rollybrook.com/ar-romeritos.htm

All my Mexican friends love the stuff, so my bad attitude may just be me.

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Mar 15, 2009, 4:36 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6539 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] What to do with dried shrimp??

Suggestion #1 sounds like a winner. And Hubby agrees, since he prefers the fresh stuff. So probably do I.

mazatlanlee

Mar 15, 2009, 9:11 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6520 views)

Shortcut

We bought a kilo of camarones secos from a street vendor in one of the pueblos south of Maz, for friends who love the critters..... thought we were going to have to sell the van afterwards! Whewie.... those things sure smell bad! Our friends eat the dried shrimp as a snack, with fresh lime juice and hot salsa. I'll stick with peanuts, thankyou!!
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

Anonimo

Mar 17, 2009, 9:14 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6472 views)

Shortcut

Dried shrimp are used in tortitas de camarónes (ugh) and in caldos de camarones, to reinforce the stock.

I have used them in making Korean kimchi.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

sergiogomez

Mar 17, 2009, 10:10 AM

Post #6 of 7 (6467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] What to do with dried shrimp??

Dried shrimp/shrimp powder is terrific in kimchi, if you happen to like kimchi. I also like to use it in soups. My most recent adventure took the water left over from cooking raw shrimp, added a generous amount of shrimp powder, and used it as the base for tortilla soup.

Jetski

Mar 26, 2009, 5:01 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6381 views)

Shortcut

Here in Mazatlan shrimp capital of Mexico, huge dried shrimp are sold year round by the seafood changeras and are munched on whole con cascara y todo like popcorn or shrimp jerky by the local beer drinking crowd for about 50 weeks as a botana. The other 2 weeks during easter they are bought by the ladies of the patio, ground up in blenders and used to make tortitas de camaron con nopales. My wife and I are pretty much in the 50 week group about dried shrimp though. I've never seen dried shrimp used localy for soups or any other purposes than above, but they do sell quite well to truck drivers as fingerfood snacks.

(This post was edited by Jetski on Mar 26, 2009, 10:06 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4