Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 11, 2009, 8:33 PM

Post #1 of 15 (7131 views)

Shortcut

insurances (health)

Can't Post | Private Reply
If any of you have health insurance while living in Mexico that includes medical evacuation, please post the insurance carrier.

mazatlanlee

Mar 11, 2009, 9:42 PM

Post #2 of 15 (7115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] insurances (health)

Claudia, I'm in the process of contracting with SKYMED for medical air-evac coverage. My research into this type of coverage has narrowed my choice to SKYMED because they allow the insured to pre-specify which hospital he/she chooses to be evacuated to, while most medi-vac companies limit the transportation to 'the closest adequate facility'... not a good choice in my opinion. You may want to check out SKYMED as a supplement to your choice of medical coverage, rather than limiting your search to only companies that provide both medical coverage and medi-vac.

www.skymed.com

Good luck! Lee
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

Bethie

Mar 12, 2009, 4:17 AM

Post #3 of 15 (7102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatlanlee] insurances (health)

I will be getting travel health insurance from Triple AAA. It includes evacuation. Very resonable for my age (49). You can pick you deductable and insurance amounts. It will also cover you for trip end (usually one month at the end of your trip for returning to the US). Go on line and check it out.
Bethie

Hound Dog

Mar 12, 2009, 5:30 PM

Post #4 of 15 (7023 views)

Shortcut

Since the best hospitals in Mexican major urban centers are the best hospitals in the Americas, to where do you folks wish to be evacuated? I have had the misfortune to be hospitalized in places as disparate as San Francisco and Paris and Ill take the top private hospitals in cities such as Guadalajara, Mexico City or Monterrey any day. If I found myself deathly ill in the United States tomorrow, Id opt for an evacuation flight to Guadalajara or Mexico City in a New York second.

Scottm

Mar 12, 2009, 6:57 PM

Post #5 of 15 (7006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatlanlee] insurances (health)

Had 'Skymed' for a few seasons in Mexico, then switched to 'Medjet Assist' ...some fineprint details appealed to me a bit more than
the Skymed package. Both good choices for emergency evac.

mazatlanlee

Mar 12, 2009, 7:05 PM

Post #6 of 15 (7004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] insurances (health)

HEY! I definitely agree about the medical care here in Mexico, Hound Dog! I sit here, tediously pecking away at the keyboard with one hand because the other is protruding from the end of a cast I'm wearing after surgery to repair my elbow with a big ol' screw last week. My surgery center is a 3-bed Clinica around the corner from mi casa. I also look back at over 8 years of excellent medical care that my husband received in Mazatlan. Oh, yes, I agree alright! But.... for my family's peace of mind, I think it's worth the cost of medi-vac insurance for me... in that remote possibility that I suffer a catastrophic injury or illness, and need extended hospitalization that I'm not able to pay for here. For that scenario, I opted for a Medicare Advantage plan, with zero monthly premium over & above Medicare Part B coverage. I'm sure that I've found the best combination of coverages to fit my needs, but others' medical needs aren't the same as mine, and everyone should research all options for themselves. I only mention SKYMED to add another possible option to the mix, so that others will be aware that it's available. Lee
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

sioux4noff

Mar 12, 2009, 9:36 PM

Post #7 of 15 (6971 views)

Shortcut

For many people that I've spoken to, it is not a distrust of the care in Mexico that makes them get medevac insurance.
Some people would want to use insurance available in the US or Canada. Others have expressed that they would want to be near family in the event of a catastrophe. Particularly if they felt they would be needing assistance during or after a hospital stay.

Bethie

Mar 13, 2009, 4:23 AM

Post #8 of 15 (6959 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] insurances (health)

The evac insurance with Triple AAA also covers a certain amount for evacuation from the country if the State Department should issue a warning that US citizens return to their home country. Not that this would happen, but it is just an added benefit that you do not pay for. It also covers for a loved one to be flown to Mexico if you are injured or sick in the hospital and are in need of a family member to come and care for you or be with you during your healing period. The most important thing is having some type of health insurance, the evac and other benefits are just freebies thrown in, in my opinion.
Bethie

ms mac

Mar 13, 2009, 7:09 AM

Post #9 of 15 (6936 views)

Shortcut

I had hip replacement surgery at Sharp Hospital in Mazatlan, and I have never received better care. And the nurses were more caring than the ones in the US.
ms mac

Don

Mar 13, 2009, 8:47 AM

Post #10 of 15 (6920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] insurances (health)

I have no problem with Mexico medical care, I also would not say it is any better or any worse than the care in the U.S. I was sent back to the U.S, by my Mexican doctor to get a liver transplant. The transplant could have been done here in Mexico, but receiving the organ could have been a problem. The transplant organ donor program is in its infancy stages here in Mexico. I was checked by almost every doctor in S.F., put on the transplant list and received my transplant in 15 days after arriving in the U.S. It was believed that I needed the transplant due to a car accident I had outside of Guadalajara.
Therefore, you have to think about more than Medical care by doctors and hospitals. In my case my need was filled best by the U.S.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 14, 2009, 7:03 PM

Post #11 of 15 (6818 views)

Shortcut

I guess since I have kids, I'm inclined to think differently than you. For me, sure, I can be comfortable with 100% Mexican care. I want all options on the table though if one of the girls needed for instance, a transplant or cancer treatment. I'd never forgive myself if I opted out of American care while in Mexico. We love health care in Mexico, but one never knows when something might be more advanced back our homeland.

barmarr

Mar 15, 2009, 10:17 AM

Post #12 of 15 (6763 views)

Shortcut

Actually, I am interested in recommendations of where to buy Mexican health insurance that will cover us while we are in Mexico (approx. 6 months per year).

We live in Bucerias (near Puerto Vallarta) and have been thinking that Mexican health cover would be a good idea.

How/where do you buy your coverage? Is the coverage very expensive? We are 67 years old.

Thanks

Gringal

Mar 15, 2009, 12:52 PM

Post #13 of 15 (6735 views)

Shortcut

Good observation, Hound Dog.

I'm picturing the patient in serious trouble, but having lived in Mexico for some years and lost contact with his/her U.S. docs over time. So now, he's going to be skymedded to a U.S. hospital and then.........what?

I know there are some procedures that are not done in Mexico, and one poster has told us about his experience more than once. It was a good thing, for him. For the rest of us, 95% of our personal medical disasters CAN be taken care of very well in Mexico. I'm picturing myself or spouse having our family doctor here; a local hospital and a recovery in familiar surroundings. I find this much more appealing than being airlifted to a strange place and trying to cope with the situation.

For anyone who wants to know where U.S. hospitals rank in world-wide standards of care, it might be instructive to obtain the New England Journal of Medicine report from recent years. We (the U.S.A.) are a long distance from the top. Sad, but true.

Another poster wanted to know about Mexican health insurance. IMSS is the agency to contact. It is a no-frills health care policy with restrictions for the first few years, but the cost is very reasonable and it's a good "just in case" backup for those who are unable to get "regular" insurance because of pre-existing conditions or age. Cost: usually under $400 per person, per year.

Caveat: Those who have used the system point out that you really need a Spanish speaker to help you through the system. Once in a hospital, there are plenty of English speaking doctors...but not the other help. Speaking of help, you need to have another person with you during your stay to take care of food and other "nursing" duties. I understand a bed is provided for your assistant. Not exactly the Hilton, si?

(This post was edited by Gringal on Mar 15, 2009, 1:00 PM)

Linda in Morelia

Mar 17, 2009, 6:46 PM

Post #14 of 15 (6621 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Hound Dog. We plan to get medical evacuation insurance so that when we are visiting in the states we can be flown back to Mexico for treatment of serious illness/accidents.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 17, 2009, 8:16 PM

Post #15 of 15 (6595 views)

Shortcut

Yes, thank you everyone. Got the answer I was looking for. I have my reasons for what I want.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4