Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 11, 2009, 8:19 PM

Post #51 of 71 (6391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
Maybe all this has to do with WHERE one drives in the nationalized car. There is conflicting information on these "new" laws. It wouldn't surprise me (for it HAS happened to me IN Mexico) that one office at a certain location doesn't have the same information another similar office has. So maybe ONE area of the border has updated laws while others don't? We called to the border of Laredo and were told only vehicles 10 years an older can be nationalized still. Which border are you near Rolly?

Claudine

cristalhombre

Mar 11, 2009, 10:22 PM

Post #52 of 71 (6377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
Wow...........this thread is making me dizzy....this is like a Marx Brothers movie. "who's on first" (was that line from Horsefeathers or Monkey Business.....??)

Once again I will lay claim to my living simply........Calvinist logic.

I am happy to report that I don't need or want a car in MX.......too many great transportation options and good exercise walking. I deliberately chose my home location with the concept of NOT needing a car. I can easily walk for groceries, tiangus, farmacia, bus stop, doctors/dentist/clinic, and even a beer. Very easy and so enjoyable to be out in the community. For 8 years now, I have been getting around in cabs, buses and my own two feet quite successfully. I can't wait til Zip-Car comes to Ajijic, as an alternate to renting a car once in awhile for special errands.

I really do not want a vehicle in Ajijic and add to an already over burdened traffic mess. At least that is my plan......HOPE I can make it work for many more years. My decisions are more about sustaining the once simple life at lakeside - than saving a buck.

Green living makes sense in MX. but I realize for most Gringos "having a car is an extension of their self"............ convenience is just too hard to challenge. Walking and or taking the time to plan a bus connection is just too complicated for the majority of spoiled Americans.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Marlene

Mar 11, 2009, 11:44 PM

Post #53 of 71 (6367 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
From what I understand, Travis didn't cite any new law saying that one couldn't nationalize vehicles. He said it was cost prohibitive for most of his customers, since the import duty and taxes have been revamped and it would cost more than the car's value. This would be in line with what a friend of ours has encountered recently at Nogales.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 12, 2009, 4:44 PM

Post #54 of 71 (6331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
I have family in very rural areas. I'm not a "spoiled American" for wanting a vehicle to transport my Mexican mother-in-law who needs knee surgery. Or to be able to take my family three hours to a town or city to visit more family when a bus could extend those trips to 4 or 5 hours. You don't travel with kids obviously. You assume EVERYONE here is like you. We aren't and all have our reasons hence discussing our needs. Sorry to sound so curt. Why make comments like this? Do you feel better elevating yourself?

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 12, 2009, 4:48 PM

Post #55 of 71 (6328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
You are so right Marlene. I was trying to read between the lines in these posts and think that was what was really being said. I'm sure we'll find out more in time...hopefully before many of us go through this process.

Septiembre

Mar 12, 2009, 6:07 PM

Post #56 of 71 (6310 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Not only is your post off topic, it is pretty arrogant. Get over yourself.

cristalhombre

Mar 12, 2009, 10:46 PM

Post #57 of 71 (6287 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hola Claudia

Sorry to offend you..........don't take it personally that we are a "spoiled" culture.....but WE, norte americanos are ......me included. No doubt about that! It wasn't an attack, rather a statement.

I am glad to get people thinking more about this issue, however I am sorry to irritate you. I am passionate about this topic (knowing I am IN THE MINORITY) but here is my argument.

Why do I use the word spoiled...... check this out. Below are the "stats" for vehicles per capita in countries around the globe. (gotta love Google). The USA is #1 (765 vehicles p/c).....No big surprise, and MEXICO is ranked # 53. (138 cars p/c) The source is the United Nations World Stats.

So if you do the math.............. Americans (de estados unidos) have 5.5 as many vehicles per person than does Mexico. This is a significant difference!

My point. The Mexicans seem to do well with WAY less (cars included)................. why can't the "expats". Why bring our CAR culture SOB??? Sure it's convenient, no argument there. But NOT necessary for so many people!

OK if you live in the boonies, or have a mobility issue................an auto is probably needed. However, where I hang out in upper Ajijic surrounded by mostly expats........ 5 blocks above Farmacia Guadalajara... 8 blocks to the Plaza, hardly any "expats" walk down the hill to town. When I suggest to my neighbors that we walk down to a restaurant..............they look at me like I have LOST MY MARBLES.....

The other thing I have noticed is that I get around much more than my neighbors, both locally and all over Mexico. Not having a car has NEVER stopped me from "going 5 blocks for groceries or traveling by bus to Oaxaca"...... It's pretty darn easy. PLUS.... the Mexican public transportation systems are reasonable, frequent and I feel safe.

I know there are many others like me who could "choose" to ditch the car for a majority of their travels. Many "upsides" to my argument.......... better health by walking about, less traffic (YES!!) and an improved environment....PLUS the real "kicker" is more opportunity to co-mingle with the Mexican community, because most of them are walking, or on the buses with me. That is a blessing all by itself. Puedo practicar mi español tambien!

So "spoiled" is the perfect word Claudia, unless you can come up with something better.

I think it would be really cool if 1 in 5 expats had wheels, which would be closer to the ratio of the Mexican community.

If you want to call me arrogant, feel free.................. I think of myself as logical and with a more realistic vision of the future.............oh YES and I will add that I am VERY VERY SPOILED......no doubt............. I lucked out at birth as a white Gringo, middle class and with so many of the great opportunities along the way. Had I been born in Honduras, I would most likely be scrambling just to survive each day, and having a car would be a very distant fantasy.........where there are ONLY 11 vehicles per 100 people.

Here is the UN report from their transportation stats.

#1 United States: 765 motor vehicles per 100 p #2 Luxembourg: 686 motor vehicles per 100 p #3 Malaysia: 641 motor vehicles per 100 p #4 Australia: 619 motor vehicles per 100 p #5 Malta: 607 motor vehicles per 100 p #6 Italy: 566 motor vehicles per 100 p #7 Canada: 563 motor vehicles per 100 p #8 New Zealand: 560 motor vehicles per 100 p #9 Austria: 558 motor vehicles per 100 p #10 Japan: 543 motor vehicles per 100 p #11 Portugal: 537 motor vehicles per 100 p #12 Iceland: 522 motor vehicles per 100 p #13 Norway: 494 motor vehicles per 100 p #14 Belgium: 484 motor vehicles per 100 p #15 Spain: 471 motor vehicles per 100 p #16 Cyprus: 450 motor vehicles per 100 p #17 Lebanon: 434 motor vehicles per 100 p #18 United Kingdom: 426 motor vehicles per 100 p #19 Netherlands: 417 motor vehicles per 100 p #20 Slovenia: 413 motor vehicles per 100 p #21 Denmark: 408 motor vehicles per 100 p #22 Czech Republic: 399 motor vehicles per 100 p #23 Qatar: 378 motor vehicles per 100 p #24 Ireland: 359 motor vehicles per 100 p #25 Estonia: 353 motor vehicles per 100 p #26 Saudi Arabia: 336 motor vehicles per 100 p #27 Greece: 329 motor vehicles per 100 p #28 Bahrain: 322 motor vehicles per 100 p #29 Antigua and Barbuda: 302 motor vehicles per 100 p #30 Bahamas, The: 289 motor vehicles per 100 p #31 Lithuania: 267 motor vehicles per 100 p #32 Israel: 263 motor vehicles per 100 p #33 Hungary: 262 motor vehicles per 100 p #34 Poland: 261 motor vehicles per 100 p #35 Bulgaria: 239 motor vehicles per 100 p #36 Slovakia: 237 motor vehicles per 100 p #37 Libya: 234 motor vehicles per 100 p #38 Croatia: 233 motor vehicles per 100 p #39 Saint Kitts and Nevis: 223 motor vehicles per 100 p #40 Latvia: 214 motor vehicles per 100 p #41 United Arab Emirates: 193 motor vehicles per 100 p #42 Barbados: 188 motor vehicles per 100 p #43 Tonga: 174 motor vehicles per 100 p #44 Uruguay: 174 motor vehicles per 100 p #45 Suriname: 172 motor vehicles per 100 p #46 Argentina: 170 motor vehicles per 100 p #47 Saint Lucia: 166 motor vehicles per 100 p #48 Dominica: 163 motor vehicles per 100 p #49 Singapore: 158 motor vehicles per 100 p #50 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of: 157 motor vehicles per 100 p #51 Trinidad and Tobago: 151 motor vehicles per 100 p #52 Oman: 150 motor vehicles per 100 p #53 South Africa: 146 motor vehicles per 100 p #54 Mexico: 138 motor vehicles per 100 p #

sioux4noff

Mar 13, 2009, 7:32 AM

Post #58 of 71 (6259 views)

Shortcut

want / need a car

| Private Reply

The Mexicans seem to do well with WAY less (cars included)................. why can't the "expats".

Most of the Mexicans I've talked to who don't have cars, it is because they don't have money for one, not because they don't want one.
I think many of them would buy (and drive) a car right away if they could afford to buy one. Maybe they'd like to be "spoiled" as well.
Ask some of those Mexicans you encounter if they would like a car. I'd be very surprised if they say no, wouldn't like to have one.

cristalhombre

Mar 13, 2009, 7:54 AM

Post #59 of 71 (6256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] want / need a car

| Private Reply
I am certain you are correct!

Hound Dog

Mar 13, 2009, 1:37 PM

Post #60 of 71 (6216 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
The thing to do is to get rid of the American vehicle. I will be soon going for inmigrado status so I sold my 1995 Ford Ranger to a Mexican friend. We drove together to Nuevo Laredo and I exported the truck at the border by simply having the sticker removed and having the paperwork done at the border station. He paid me a reasonable sum for the truck and I signed over the California title to him. That is all the paperwork required. No additional fees or bill of sale or any of that sort of paperwork. He nationalized the pickup I know not how or how much it cost him (this was October) but it was easy for him and then he took off for Oaxaca. I took the luxury bus from Nuevo laredo back to Guadalajara for the senior´s discount price of something like the equivalent of $45USD and arrived in Tonalá the next morning at 6:45AM. A piece of cake and now we have no U.S. plated cars thank God and don´t even need a car in Chiapas altthough we have a Mexican purchased and plated Nissan so The Dawg is in hog heaven.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 13, 2009, 5:11 PM

Post #61 of 71 (6191 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'd like to get back to the topic though of sharing info. so will make this short. There are good arguments for and against cars. Hubby's family has no such luxury. His parents never owned a car. Still, to cart a case of boxed milk or a 100lb bag of hog feed is a bit much to ask of an 80 something year old in-law though that is EXACTLY what my father-in-law does if we aren't there to help. We walk where ever possible. There are times we don't though. Not a single time did I drive to work. I walked or took a cab and I had three teaching jobs at once at times. We preferred walking for health reasons, but sometimes...cars are needed. And in this case, I am glad I have an ability to help my Mexican in-laws who have welcomed me as a daughter. IF a drive is the most I can offer...it will mean the world to them. I'm glad this one "American" part of me can assist them. I hate driving...and ate up the convenience of not needing to on a daily basis.

Ok, back to discussion please. And thanks for the reply. I hate to make enemies any where; Internet-world has real people on the other end too.

Claudine

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 13, 2009, 5:14 PM

Post #62 of 71 (6189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
At first I thought you were stating that by letting a Mexican do the nationalizing takes care of the problems, but I think you are saying, "Just Buy Mexican," right? Maybe that is what I will end up doing myself.

Georgia

Mar 13, 2009, 5:31 PM

Post #63 of 71 (6179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
I don't want to get rid of my vehicle: it's not used up yet. We generally drive our cars for a long time and get full use out it. Considering the value new versus the used value, it's a bad business deal to just sell it. So, if we don't have to have Mexican plated cars as imigrados, I'm not inclined to do that.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 14, 2009, 6:59 PM

Post #64 of 71 (6110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
yeh, nothing beats an older and reliable paid off car Georgia. I don't blame ya there. Sure wish we can get a solid answer on this issue. Should I sell mine and buy Mex (mine is a newer car that will or won't be able to go to Mexico based on which law is implemented when we get to the border)?

Rolly

Mar 14, 2009, 8:09 PM

Post #65 of 71 (6096 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"...mine is a newer car that will or won't be able to go to Mexico based on which law is implemented when we get to the border"

Is there some special reason it cannot come into México without being "nationalize" ?

Rolly Pirate

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 15, 2009, 1:27 PM

Post #66 of 71 (6046 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

One more little fly in the soup -- when the title is transfered back to you, there will be a tax to pay.

Rolly, sorry I'm not letting this go.
If the title were to be put in and stay in hubby's name...the car gets to pass into Mexico without the extra taxation since it will be a Mexican whose name stays on the title?

Carron

Mar 15, 2009, 1:40 PM

Post #67 of 71 (6044 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Again, this may or may not be applicable to your personal situation, but my son is a new-car salesman with a dealership in Del Rio, Texas, just across the border from Mexico. He used to do a huge business selling the latest Toyota Tundras to Mexican nationals, since Tundras are not manufactured in Mexico but are a terrific truck for ranchers just SOB.

There are many regulations about buying in the US and importing to Mexico for Mexicans. One is that a new car cannot have more than 400 miles on the speedometer. (My son has to stay in constant contact with the local Mexican consulate for amendments to the laws about these transfers.) Sales have
dropped off for many reasons, not the least of which is the increase in taxes by Mexico.

You might contact the Mexican Consulate at the border crossing you plan to use and ask for their advice.

Rolly

Mar 15, 2009, 1:48 PM

Post #68 of 71 (6037 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"If the title were to be put in and stay in hubby's name...the car gets to pass into Mexico without the extra taxation since it will be a Mexican whose name stays on the title?"

If the title stays in his name, there would be no transfer of ownership in México, thus no transfer tax. That, of course, has nothing to do with the fees and taxes that must be paid to nationalize the vehicle.

Rolly Pirate

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 15, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #69 of 71 (6030 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Missed this one earlier.
We would go deep into Mexico, so making a trip to the border every 6 months isn't practical for us. We need to nationalize due to jobs, kids in school and distance. According to the office we called in Texas that nationalized two other vehicles for us, we can't nationalize my 2 year old car. They are still under the assumption that only 10 yr and older can be nationalized.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 15, 2009, 2:11 PM

Post #70 of 71 (6026 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

That, of course, has nothing to do with the fees and taxes that must be paid to nationalize the vehicle.

I'm ok with that if still the same as what we paid in 2008. I think we paid $700USD to nationalize. Nothing like the $1500 - $2000 Travis mentioned in his earlier post (for a different scenario, of course).

Then the tax to plate it was like $150 USD if I recall correctly.

Rolly

Mar 15, 2009, 3:07 PM

Post #71 of 71 (6010 views)

Shortcut

Permanent importation of US registered cars: 2009

| Private Reply
Folks, after 70 posts in this thread, it is abundantly clear that none of us, with the possible exception of Travis, has a clue as to the actual conditions with aduana at the border, so I am taking the liberty of locking this thread. If and when you have sure information about the current rules and procedures, please feel free to start a new thread.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4