Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Papirex

Mar 10, 2009, 10:16 PM

Post #26 of 36 (2714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] US policy and Mexico's war on drugs

Can't Post | Private Reply

Pete, the problems Amsterdam is having with legalized drugs have been written about quite a bit. Once, one of my family members had a drinking and drug problem and she was in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation clinic. One night per week, family members were asked to attend support meetings, I used to attend those meetings and one thing that I learned there is that pot is an addicting substance,

It is a slow, slow, slow addiction, but once a person is hooked it is one of the most stubborn addictions to break. Legalizing drug use will have no more effect at stopping drug abuse than legalizing wife beating will have at stopping wife beating.

Taxing legalized drugs is a recipe for disaster. To this day, smuggling of cigarettes and liquor from states with lower taxes into states with higher taxes is a big problem in some areas in The US. The users would probably be victimized by low cost, non taxed fakes under a system of legalized drugs also.

Criminals have, and will always find a way to make easy money.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

caldwelld

Mar 11, 2009, 11:13 AM

Post #27 of 36 (2671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] US policy and Mexico's war on drugs

Would strongly recommend the injection of some supportable facts into this stream. Here is a starter primer:

http://www.drugpolicy.org/library/factsheets/economiccons/fact_economic.cfm

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/38
dondon

Oscar2

Mar 11, 2009, 1:15 PM

Post #28 of 36 (2652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] US policy and Mexico's war on drugs

Interesting articles. The drug war, the penal system and the legal system in the USA, has more people in jail per capita then any other country on this planet. China has 1 billion more residents then the US but yet, has 1 million less residents in jail. The US has an ongoing industry, which is unparalleled. An of course Bill Maher, highlighted this fact on his syndicated show 2 days ago with his usual smirk of disbelief, as if to say, what else is new Charlieā€¦..

Septiembre

Mar 11, 2009, 6:27 PM

Post #29 of 36 (2608 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] US policy and Mexico's war on drugs

Uh, tobacco and booze are also "slow" addicting substances. MJ really isn't any more so.

delmaracer

Mar 11, 2009, 8:13 PM

Post #30 of 36 (2594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] US policy and Mexico's war on drugs

Earlier in this thread, there was a call to legalize certain drugs in the U.S. So, I just thought I would throw in my 25 cents worth on the subject that those who call for legalization of soft drugs have not fully examined the repercussions.

Of course smoking is more harmful than pot. But try smoking the same number of joints that a normal cig habit would cause a person to smoke and then try driving to the Xray office to see what has happened to your lungs.
Many, many years ago, I tried to quit a pack and 1/2 per day habit by smoking only pot (no, I did not smoke a pack and 1/2 of joints, come on. I still have some of my whitts about me!) Well, I can tell you that that did not work, hehehe. So back to cig's and some short while later, I quit the old fashion way. Cold Turkey!! THat was about 27 years ago.

Now, how about refilling my glass with that really great tasting Tequila? ;)

Delmar Bob

(This post was edited by delmaracr on Mar 11, 2009, 8:30 PM)

DavidMcL

Mar 12, 2009, 9:45 AM

Post #31 of 36 (2548 views)

Shortcut

Please re-focus the discussion

Although an interesting Thread - it is time for all to re-focus the discussion to MEXICO.

Thanks.

David
David McL
WebJefe

Rolly

Mar 12, 2009, 10:00 AM

Post #32 of 36 (2547 views)

Shortcut

Drug wars in Lerdo

I have added a blog-like page to my website chronicling the drug wars here in Lerdo. Much, but not all, of this material has previously appeared here on MexConnect.

http://rollybrook.com/drug_wars.htm

Rolly Pirate

Septiembre

Mar 12, 2009, 6:08 PM

Post #33 of 36 (2500 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Please re-focus the discussion

Anyone who doesn't understand that drugs in Mexico and drugs in the U.S. are joined at the waist, just hasn't been paying attention.

DavidMcL

Mar 12, 2009, 7:01 PM

Post #34 of 36 (2492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Septiembre] Please re-focus the discussion

No question - you are correct.
MY point as Moderator is that some of the postings are wandering off into various opinions as to the addictiveness of grass and so on.
The point of the thread is to discuss how Mexico and the US are so intertwined around the issues of drugs, and the whole business - economics, political, social, and legal.
David McL
WebJefe

Rolly

Mar 13, 2009, 8:44 AM

Post #35 of 36 (2456 views)

Shortcut

Los Zetas in the USA

CNN has a chilling story about the Zetas recruiting teenagers in the USA to be hit men.

http://www.cnn.com/...tel.teens/index.html

Rolly Pirate

keith

Mar 15, 2009, 12:11 PM

Post #36 of 36 (2367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Los Zetas in the USA

I live in a part of Mexico where growing pot is the basis of the economy (rather than tourism or money sent home from abroad, like in many parts of Mexico), and if the cultivation of marijuana were made legal here's what happen: there are many places where you could grow it more easily than you can around here, and it could be grown more closely to the people who consume it. Actually, any place you can grow a garden you can grow really really good pot. And if you happen to be in a place where you can't grow a garden, you can grow really really good pot indoors.

So it would ruin our local economy. The value of the product would decrease about 95% in the first month after legalization. It would be worth about as much as alfalfa. This would also raise hell with the economy in the US of A. All the local folks living off grow ops would be selling their equipment cheap at garage sales and looking for real jobs. Neighborhood dealers too. There would be a big shake-out in the home-delivery pizza industry. Police departments would no longer have a ready supply of easy busts, where a lot of money and glamor is involved. The prison industry would have some empty beds . . .. Plus, once it's legal, it will be pase', which might actually further lessen demand.

It does come down to: unless you keep pot forbidden there isn't any way to make any money on it.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4