Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Anonimo

Mar 10, 2009, 7:04 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3738 views)

Shortcut

Mero?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We invited our Mexican neighbors to comida on Friday. I'm planning on making filetes de pescado a la Veracruzana.

When I went to one of oour local pescaderías, the various (frozen ocean fish included tilapia, cazón, huauchinango and mero. Mero is $85 MXP a kilo. The filets are large, but of course, can be divided. The lady at the store suggested 1 largish filet for 6 persons, or about 1.5 kilos; although I think that's excessive, considering there will be side dishes.

As I don't like tilapia very much, I was inclined toward mero, both for its moderate price as well as appearance. Only thing is, I'm not familar with the taste, texture and eating qualities of the fish.

I plan to buy whichever on Thursday so I can thaw them out in time for comida at 2 on Friday.

So, my question is: is mero good for the dish I plan to make?

Gracias.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Mar 10, 2009, 7:29 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3733 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Mero?

In English, mero is grouper.

It should be delicious a la veracruzana.

I'd prepare the 1.5 kilo filet whole and divvy it up at table. The fish and the dish will hold up well for leftovers, if there are any.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Anonimo

Mar 11, 2009, 3:26 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mero?

Thanks, Esperanza. The fillets offered are smaller but still substantial. The woman in the pescadería suggested 1 1/2 kilos, or one fillet each for 6 people.

I'll go with your recommendation to use mero.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Mar 11, 2009, 8:06 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3693 views)

Shortcut

Your original post led me to believe that you were buying one large filete de mero weighing 1.5 kilos. With a grouper, that size is possible. Groupers can be enormous fish.

Given that these grouper filetes are so very small (about 1/3 lb each), I wouldn't use them. Even cooked in the salsa veracruzana, they'd dry out and disappear.

I'd go with a big red snapper and cook it whole. The flavors, consistency of the fish, and presentation will be much better than if you use tiny grouper filetes. It will take a good-size pot and a good-size platter. Once it's on the table, you can just spoon off the flesh and serve the plates.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Anonimo

Mar 11, 2009, 10:11 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mero?

I estimate that the mero fillets run about 6-8 ounces each. Not huge, but neither tiny. The tilapia fillets I saw at Mariscos La Güera were tiny and thin.

What if I dusted the mero fillets with flour, fried them lightly, then laid on an already cooked Salsa Veracruzana? Maybe a brief simmer to infuse the flavors of the sauce?

I'm not sure I can get a large, whole fish for this here in Pátzcuaro. But I'll check again at Mercado Soriana and at the Pescadería Nemo, where I saw the mero. We do have the pot and the platter.

Saludos,
Anonimo

PS: separate but related, are you familiar with the Pescaderías Soliman, in Morelia? Good?

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Mar 12, 2009, 2:47 PM)

Anonimo

Mar 13, 2009, 3:18 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3624 views)

Shortcut

The meal was very successful.

I weighed a few of the grouper fillets and they ranged from 6 to 10 ounces.

I might have a blog post with some details, plus some photos by tomorrow morning.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Mar 19, 2009, 8:21 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4