Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

drmike

Mar 4, 2009, 7:53 AM

Post #26 of 47 (6028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
I've actually left mexconnect because of the "oh so important" attorney moderator. I felt this was an open discussion website for the exchange of ideas and thoughts and found out it is really about her "ego". Adios, and perhaps if changes are made, mexconnect can survive, but I'd say it is "iffy" at this point.

No apologies from me for my attitude concening this "ego maniac moderator" and my decision to leave. Free or not.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

(This post was edited by drmike on Mar 4, 2009, 7:59 AM)

Brian

Mar 4, 2009, 8:24 AM

Post #27 of 47 (6021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply

I have stayed on MexConnect despite being on the receiving end of at least one ad hominem criticism from the moderator of the General Forum. The most recent was when I responded to someone about whether Michoacan was a safe area or whether there was evidence of the drug cartels. My response was that Michoacan was a hotspot. Jennifer stated that I was not a resident (nor had I ever been) and thus implied that I couldn't answer with any authority. That was before the Grito in Morelia last Sept 16 at which time grenades were hurled into the crowd killing seven and wounding 100 others. That is one time that I would much rather have been wrong. Anyway, my point is that rather than dismiss someone's opinions summarily because of who they are (or where they live), it is better to make a cogent argument to the contrary.

(This post was edited by Brian on Mar 4, 2009, 8:31 AM)

Don

Mar 4, 2009, 8:46 AM

Post #28 of 47 (6009 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have been on this forum since 2002. When it was free, then charge and free once again. Some always disagreed with some of the moderators and probably left the forum, but the charge for use of this forum, was in my opinion, the big reason for the drop in participants.

This would be a stange world if we all ageed all the time, so don't we surprised when the managers of this forum try to maintain a forum that ALL, even school children can enjoy, when researching information. I believe people can disagree and voice their opinion, but that can be done without being rude and demanding that everthing be their way.

Some of those who battled on this forum and were finally banned, were also banned from the free forums they moved to.

sergiogomez

Mar 4, 2009, 10:23 PM

Post #29 of 47 (5940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Old colors back! My eyes rejoice.

Oscar2

Mar 4, 2009, 11:12 PM

Post #30 of 47 (5937 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Dr. Mike,

Like RickS said, it would take a real Jerk to drive him away. In a way, I kind of agree with this. Why, because at times, an egotist sense of self is so diminished and endemic, its false survival unknowingly depends on thrashing, belittling and insulting others to maintain a continuous sick illusionary story in their head necessary to misleadingly feed and encourage a diminished sense of self.

The ego’s need for separation and survival can too often lead to a vicious, false, illusionary identity. It’s maintained by some who are so transparent, one can easily feel resentment toward them or better yet, “awareness” can easily bring you around to consciously feeling a sense of pity for the pain which continually compels them to bite into and chew on this false sense of self.

I don’t mean to get to heavy into this, but to cut to the chaste, wouldn’t it be wonderful if everyone could just be like you and I ………. Laugh Hang in there Doc, you’re a good Joe, who definitely knows “it is, what it is,” and in the end, it’s all ether….

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Mar 4, 2009, 11:16 PM)

drmike

Mar 5, 2009, 6:54 AM

Post #31 of 47 (5910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Oscar,
Excellent summation of the psychology of the "ego-maniac". As usual you are right on with your thoughts. I realize the problem lies with the egoist, but in my life I have been successful at many different things and in my "older" years I no longer have any tolerance to put up with any crap from anyone, regardless how BIG their ego is and how belittling they must be to others in order to salvage their fragile sense of self. It is not my place to help prop up their weak sense of who they are. I choose not to associate with those type of persons.

For those who choose not to leave, that is great. Enjoy the site and hope David can make some necessary changes to save the site and if possible you may be able to overlook this very small woman. For me I no longer have the tolerance for this type of behavior as I find that type of person "taints" me as the say in the south.

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

(This post was edited by drmike on Mar 5, 2009, 6:57 AM)

GringaGirl

Mar 5, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #32 of 47 (5893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
I've won a grant to study the indigenious art of Mexico and will be in Oaxaca for 5 weeks before leaving for Mexico city for another week. So I've been reading your forum comments. It's rather interesting.....kind of like Facebook in a way. I notice that a lot of the same people converse every day...and many of the questions are answered by the same people. I love Facebook for the same reason...even though you live in different cities you can see what each of you is doing every day (depending on how diligent you are at daily posting). And questions are answered-even though it may be something like when an event is happening. So I hope more questions come up in your Forums because I'm sure soon I will have more to ask! :)

sergiogomez

Mar 5, 2009, 8:24 AM

Post #33 of 47 (5883 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Couldn't have said it better myself. I've seen some threads on this forum that seem to have been needlessly locked. They seemed more like spirited discussions than anything else, but the topics were ones that can get knee-jerk reactions from some people. But, en fin, you can't control anyone but yourself, you can't like everyone. If I can get along with 80% of the people I meet, I'm happy. The other 20% that I disagree with can do their thing and life goes on. It's too short to get upset about small things.

Oscar2

Mar 5, 2009, 10:00 AM

Post #34 of 47 (5865 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Dr. Mike,

There is much in what Olivia say’s which I also agree with. In my life and in some others lives, there are three situational signposts which give me direction. If in life, a situation in a place, which I enjoy, is being negatively impacted and disrupting a sense of decorum or well being for me, work at trying to change it to restore a place of contentment.

The second signpost tells me, if change is not possible and certain aspects of the situation is worth it, if you can, learn to surrender/make allowances to what it is and learn to be with it, in a way that contentment in someway survives.

My third signpost tells me, if change isn’t possible, and the surrendering to what is, is not working, there is a very large world out there, and its time to just move on.

I hear you loud and clear when the chime of age and tolerance rings-in and tells; there is no need to put up with it any more and you deserve better. It’s done regularly and who knows, I and others may follow pending the wisdom of some. Whatever it is you endeavor to do, please know I’ve learned to like you as a person and the skills by which you can and have helped others in your professional medical and personal life.

Hasta Luego mi Amigo y que la vida te trata con el valor de tu persona,
Oscar

robrt8

Mar 6, 2009, 8:14 PM

Post #35 of 47 (5786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
That may be true, but in your case as moderator, Rolly, you deleted my posts and edited your own replies to reflect your second thoughts. Now all that's left there is a nice and tidy thread where you added an anecdote about running around naked.
As for our attorney-moderator, she was placed in the awkward position of having to moderate the "general" forum. "General" being interpreted by too many to mean say whatever the hell you want. As if someone sitting under a palapa all day can edify us on the merits of drug legalization.

johanson

Mar 6, 2009, 8:51 PM

Post #36 of 47 (5766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Hey Rob8, Rolly is one of the good guys.

DavidMcL

Mar 6, 2009, 9:15 PM

Post #37 of 47 (5760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Regarding this particular sub-discussion within this Thread:
1. I appreciate the comments and feedback.
2. I think that the points made here have been expressed clearly enough to be understood.
3. This particular sub-discussion is moving towards venting as opposed to constructive comment.
4. David (me) is not trying to "save" the Forums, but to provide an environment wherein the participants can exchange information and discuss things "Mexico" with a sense of confidence that they will be respected and treated with fairness.
5. On occasion, that sense of confidence has been weakened by the actions of some participants as well as the Moderators.
6. When that occurs, it is my job to work with the person responsible, be they Moderator or Participant, to ensure that the issue of respect and fair-mindedness governs their posts or actions.
7. Even though the Forums are now free, this does not change the expectation that ALL participants will hold to this precondition of respect and fair-mindedness.
8. Enough said from me.

In the meanwhile and into the future, please enjoy!

BTW - these changes with the Forums that we have been going through are entirely separate from the work that is going on to re-invent the content side of Mexconnect. I hope that you will find those changes to be exciting and that the new Mexconnect provides you with powerful and enjoyable means of exploring Mexico on-line.
Expected date of unveiling is March 18th - and yes, in 2009.

David
David McL
WebJefe

RickS

Mar 7, 2009, 9:58 AM

Post #38 of 47 (5720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Well said, David.

To me, the 7th Commandment is very important....

7. Even though the Forums are now free, this does not change the expectation that ALL participants will hold to this precondition of respect and fair-mindedness.

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 7, 2009, 10:26 AM)

Carron

Mar 7, 2009, 10:17 AM

Post #39 of 47 (5712 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
As a very "old timer" with Mexconnect, I personally think this is one of the best threads we have had going in a while. Glad no one has decided to lock it up yet. Let us vent some, please? At least this forum is not empty.

DavidMcL

Mar 7, 2009, 10:32 AM

Post #40 of 47 (5702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Dear Carron!

Thanks! - My posting speaks to the integrity of postings and Posters as well as the focus on Mexico!

Have fun

David
David McL
WebJefe

ken_in_dfw

Mar 7, 2009, 11:54 AM

Post #41 of 47 (5679 views)

Shortcut

|
David,

I'm one of the newer members of this discussion board. So I often keep quiet on the "meta" threads, knowing that others have more history, context and perspective from which to voice an opinion.

Nevertheless, I wanted to say how much I appreciate the very tough job you and the moderators have in supporting a positive, productive environment wherein participants can share their perspectives and experience. And there is an incredible wealth of knowledge here for anyone who has any interest in visiting, retiring to or just passing through Mexico! Although there are a lot of places on the Internet to get information about Mexico, Mexconnect continues to be one of the most well-rounded and accurate sources.

The challenge for all of us, whether moderators, participants or honorable WebJefe, is to support that atmosphere of respect and fairness in the posts we make and the actions we take. For participants, that means thinking twice before posting an emotional response to something we perceive to be pushing our buttons. For moderators, that means thinking three times before locking a thread or, worse, deleting posts. As I said sometime back:

The value of social software like this forum increases as more participants provide more perspectives and more information. Conversely, it decreases in value as participants choose to move on.

The more aggressively that moderators of Mexico Connect act in expunging content that they deem to be offensive or of zero value, the more that discussion forum participants will choose to move on to greener pastures. In the end, if moderators pursue this path consistently, they effectively moderate themselves out of a job.

For the honorable WebJefe, your point #6 covers the duties pretty well, I think. And to that point, I have noticed a greatly improved tolerance of late to allow discussions a little more latitude. The result has been more honest and in-depth conversations on some very interesting topics.

BTW, loved the article on Bernal this month. Made me wish I was there. Keep it up.

sergiogomez

Mar 7, 2009, 12:05 PM

Post #42 of 47 (5672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Yes! It's a refreshing change from the dry, impersonal political threads that seem to have taken up residence in the general forum lately.

robrt8

Mar 7, 2009, 9:33 PM

Post #43 of 47 (5618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
I thought so too, Pete. I'm just saying what happened. It kinda takes the wind out of the sails when a moderator deletes your posts. It's just too ironic that Rolly's talking about what's "well documented" when there's none on that thread.
I quit. I only came back here to email someone.

sillyweirdo

Mar 9, 2009, 8:50 PM

Post #44 of 47 (5512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
exactly same prob for me that Gringal stated on first page of this thread.

My signin was sillyweirdo and username nancyinpdx. I could sign in to mail with sillyweirdo but not to the forums and my email help request was also ignored. So today I requested a new signin of sillyweirdo and that worked but i want to be nancyinpdx. Aaaaaaggggggh! Both userids are me but i prefer nancyinpdx.

(This post was edited by sillyweirdo on Mar 9, 2009, 9:12 PM)

tonyburton

Mar 9, 2009, 9:18 PM

Post #45 of 47 (5502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sillyweirdo] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
Sorry, but any e-mail request never reached me. I have responded to your PM and hope your problem has been resolved to your satisfaction. Please note that the general forum is NOT the best place to start posting about individual log-in issues. Tony.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 9, 2009, 9:20 PM)

rogerj1

Mar 14, 2009, 11:40 PM

Post #46 of 47 (5302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
As someone who left the forum several years ago I can tell you that the charge was the big issue. Now that it's free, I'm back!

Carron

Mar 15, 2009, 12:54 PM

Post #47 of 47 (5241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rogerj1] Empty Forums Again

| Private Reply
As someone who has been with the forums since 1997, I would like to say welcome back!! I am sure this is one of the major reasons David has decided (wisely) to make Mexconnect a " free for all" once again.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4