Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Raya

Mar 6, 2009, 2:42 PM

Post #1 of 13 (6291 views)

Shortcut

American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi everyone, I just found this forum today. I am married to a Mexican National and we have 4 wonderful children together their ages range from 17 to 18 months! Due to many things we are planning to move to Mexico in about a year. My husband hasn't lived in Mexico since he was 10 years old. The kids and I are planning to visit my sister-in-law living near Curuamareo, Guanajuato this summer. This is probably where we will be moving to. Can anyone tell me about this area? Also I too, am feeling a little nervous due to all the violence. I would love to hear others opinions on this. thanks

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 6, 2009, 7:55 PM

Post #2 of 13 (6264 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Raya] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Hi. GOod luck. It can work out...so don't take my post as a negative to stop all plans. My hubby hadn't lived in Mexico in 10 years when he and I decided to move there (we are now back in the states). He hated it there! Not the family, the home, the food, the fiestas...oh no. He loves all that but feels we can just visit instead. He hated the ccorupt govt and inept service anytime we needed something done (i.e. getting CURP wasn't near as easy as we thought it would be...and if you don't know what is CURP, you will soon. Like a SS# here). He prefers lving in USA as he is now accutomed to the organization here. Go and have fun, take it all in. But beware so to be prepared. I don't know about that area, so can't help there. Sorry.

Raya

Mar 7, 2009, 6:22 AM

Post #3 of 13 (6232 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Thanks for the response. I'm afraid I am getting a little discouraged. I knew it wouldn't be a piece of cake, but now it seems very difficult. For example I thought my certified marriage license would be all I need to prove we are married. It seems that is not the case according to a thread I was reading yesterday. I hope someone else can have something encouraging to tell me? I also hope there is someone out there that can tell me about the area of Curuamareo. I would like to know how far it is from Leon to Curuamareo? I know there is a private school there that teaches in english and spanish. I would be interested in checking that out for my children. They speak very little spanish.

esperanza

Mar 7, 2009, 7:58 AM

Post #4 of 13 (6217 views)

Shortcut

Here is a section of the Guanajuato map that shows a town called Cuerámaro, which is as close as I can come to finding a town spelled as you spelled it.

http://images.google.com/...al%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1

Cuerámaro is relatively close to Irapuato. It is not at all near León.

If you look at the map page (above), you can see below the map that there is a link to click back to the full map of the state of Guanajuato. León is in the northwestern part of the state. Cuerámaro is in the south-central part of the state.

Ask your husband about the spelling of the city where his relatives live.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Raya

Mar 7, 2009, 8:39 AM

Post #5 of 13 (6210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Thanks, I think that is the correct spelling I just spelled it wrong.

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 7, 2009, 9:08 AM

Post #6 of 13 (6207 views)

Shortcut

The town is also clearly shown on our own map of Guanajuato: http://www.mexconnect.com/...o/mapguanajuato.html

esperanza

Mar 7, 2009, 9:27 AM

Post #7 of 13 (6196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Note that skinny yellow line that goes from Cuerámaro to León. That's the road through the mountains that takes you to León. You don't want to commute four times a day to take your kids to school and home again on that road.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Mar 7, 2009, 11:30 AM

Post #8 of 13 (6180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

<<getting CURP wasn't near as easy as we thought it would be>>
Funny you gave that example. I recently got CURPs for both myself and my husband. It was without a doubt the fastest, easiest "bureaucratic" thing I have done in Mexico.
Ten minutes or less is all it took, I came home and compared the numbers they gave us to the example found on-line of what they should be, and they are correct.
I took our FM3s and copies, proof of address (not needed) and that's all.
Quick and no charge.

Carron

Mar 7, 2009, 12:10 PM

Post #9 of 13 (6171 views)

Shortcut

I would suggest you plan on having a vacation with your husband's family in Mexico this summer, as you apparently already have planned. Just come down on a tourist visa which should be good for 180 days. Cuts out many of the complications, such as getting an apostille to your marriage certificate from the secretary of state. You can always change over to a more permanent status at the end of that time.

See how it goes. I suspect in many ways your husband may have more of a problem adjusting (if indeed there are any problems at all) than you and the kids. Only after you learn more at the most basic local level about his hometown can you as a family make your decision about a permanent move.

My daughter-in-law is Mexican American. Her parents came to Texas illegally over 30 years ago, were legalized during the amnesty of 1986, and are now US citizens. Every year they load up the entire (huge) family in a new van and spend two or three weeks in their small hometown in Jalisco. I assumed that when they retired they would cash out and go back to where they came from, where they could afford to live like minor royalty. Last year they sold their tiny frame house near downtown Houston for over 1/4 million dollars. When I asked excitedly when they were moving back to Mexico, they looked horrified! Instead, they bought a much larger, very expensive home in a new subdivision outside Houston, made a hefty down payment, and both plan to continue working forever in the US rather than return to Mexico.

(This post was edited by Carron on Mar 7, 2009, 12:12 PM)

Raya

Mar 7, 2009, 2:16 PM

Post #10 of 13 (6150 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will check the schools out in Irapuato since that seems a little closer than Leon.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 7, 2009, 11:25 PM

Post #11 of 13 (6105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Hi Sioux, Proof that nothing is standard in Mexico. My FM3, passport AND Birth Cert were asked for at my CURP office. Upon noticing my name on my birth certificate and passport did NOT match (as I am married and changed last name to husband's) they rejected me for a couple of months. Once that was straightened out...IMSS then refused my CURP for many months thus refused to give me my IMSS number thus a university I worked for refused to pay me for 8 months because they required the IMSS number before giving me payment.

Lovely time I had I tell you.

sioux4noff

Mar 8, 2009, 8:12 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6087 views)

Shortcut

Now THAT's the type of bureaucracy story we all know and love!!
That would have been not only frustrating, but economically painful as well.

TlxcalaClaudia

Mar 8, 2009, 1:13 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico

Oh yeah...any living there know this sorta story well. It was ok though since I had another job that was paying on time. The only thing I regret is that I lost a whole year of Infontavil benefits.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4