johanson

Mar 1, 2009, 2:51 PM

Post #1 of 16 (25603 views)

Shortcut

jump to first unread post

Can't Post | Private Reply
Subject:
In flat view, when viewing thread: Jump to first unread post View root post

Yesterday I changed www.mexconnected.com to http://www.mexconnect.com/etc etc I had forgotten to do so. Thanks for mentioning it Rolly (I presume that changing the URL had nothing to do with my problem. but who knows)

I immediately lost the ability when openning a thread to go to the first unread, not first post.

So I went into my EDIT PROFILE section and confirmed that I had chosen the correct option, "Jump to first unread post" and reset the settings. sadly I still go to the first post, not the first unread post of a string.

It's probably me. Anyone have any ideas?

(Internet Explorer, Vista)

Rolly

Mar 1, 2009, 2:55 PM

Post #2 of 16 (25585 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] jump to first unread post

To go directly to the first unread post, click on the black arrow on the right end of the title line.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Mar 1, 2009, 2:56 PM

Post #3 of 16 (25582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] jump to first unread post

Well, may it isn't really black -- just sorta

Rolly Pirate

johanson

Mar 1, 2009, 3:02 PM

Post #4 of 16 (25579 views)

Shortcut

We are making headway. I looked at the bottom of the page and saw the various options to include
= Jump to last post in thread

I never remember seeing that before. And I don't see it now. That might be because there are no new posts. And I'm the moderator of the tech forum? I'm not doing a very good job today

johanson

Mar 1, 2009, 6:23 PM

Post #5 of 16 (25571 views)

Shortcut

Latest update. to the jump to the first unread post command.
OK we are making progress here. I see a little red/brown arrow but not after the subject title but only to the very far right column titled "Last Post" showing the date and time and person making last post. I see no arrow to the right of the subject title, regardless of the color. Yes when I click on the arrow to the very far right I go to the last post. But I see no arrow immediately to the subject title, even when there is a new post

Rolly

Mar 1, 2009, 6:53 PM

Post #6 of 16 (25566 views)

Shortcut

I guess I described it poorly. But you found it anyway.

Rolly Pirate

johanson

Mar 1, 2009, 7:01 PM

Post #7 of 16 (25564 views)

Shortcut

But Rolly, my arrow isn't in the subject column, as you described. I've got nothing there, no arrow, no nothing. I only have an arrow in the farthest column to the right, and it doesn't take me to the first unread post but the last post in the string, be it read or unread.

I do not have a way to go to the first unread post in a string anymore. Did I misunderstand you?

Rolly

Mar 1, 2009, 7:23 PM

Post #8 of 16 (25560 views)

Shortcut

It seems to work the way you describe. Sorry I reported the arrow in the wrong column, but you found it.

Rolly Pirate

Don

Mar 1, 2009, 8:41 PM

Post #9 of 16 (25547 views)

Shortcut

I also can't jump to the first unread post. When I click on the arrow, it takes me to the last post. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe the last post was the first unread post.

johanson

Mar 2, 2009, 1:25 PM

Post #10 of 16 (25513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] jump to first unread post

Things are back to normal. Now when I left click on the subject title icon I go the first unread post. I do not left click on the arrow to the far right which would take me to the last post be in read or unread.

Don

Mar 2, 2009, 2:48 PM

Post #11 of 16 (25500 views)

Shortcut

Not working for me. When I click on the post, it goes to the first post. When I click on the arrow, it goes to the last post.

johanson

Mar 2, 2009, 4:20 PM

Post #12 of 16 (25489 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Not working for me. When I click on the post, it goes to the first post. When I click on the arrow, it goes to the last post.

Sorry to hear that Don. Maybe it's a cookie issue. I hope tbat someone in a position of more knowledge than I might have an idea for you. Well, at least the colors are back to normal. And yes I am still able to "jump to first unread post"

Don

Mar 2, 2009, 4:45 PM

Post #13 of 16 (25484 views)

Shortcut

This is real strange. When I go on mexconnected.com, it jumps to first unread post and there is no arrow at end of the topic.

Then I go onto mexconnect.com it doesn't go to the first unread post and has the arrow at the end of the topic.

DavidMcL

Mar 2, 2009, 4:49 PM

Post #14 of 16 (25482 views)

Shortcut

During this transition period of moving the forum from behind the subscription set-up, the "doorway" you use to enter the forums (mexconnect or mexconnected) presents you with one of two different looks (same forum though).

We are working on having that "look" be the same no matter which way you get here!

More on that later.

David
David McL
WebJefe

tonyburton

Mar 2, 2009, 5:10 PM

Post #15 of 16 (25487 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] jump to first unread post

OK, the skinny is as follows:

You can access the forums at one of two URLs:

www.mexconnect.com/forums - in this case, you will NOT have the jump to first unread post feature - this access is the one that will now be used by google and other search engines to have information from the forums reflectedin their search results. This is the link that you rach by hitting Forums in the top navigation bar.

Alternatively, you can access the forums via www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi
This is the dynamic forum entry page which is the exact equivalent of the old mexconnected.com forum entry. Entering via this page, you should enjoy full functionality exactly as you did previously.

You will need to bookmark your preferred entry page.

Hope this helps,
Tony

PS As David has indicated, we will be making these pages look identical (though their functionality will remain slightly different) in the next few days.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 3, 2009, 10:23 AM)

johanson

Mar 2, 2009, 5:33 PM

Post #16 of 16 (25477 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] jump to first unread post

Just to confuse things, when I changed my link to http://www.mexconnect.com/forums/ I lost the ability to JUMP TO THE FIRST UNREAD POST

And I haven't changed anything since then, yet now, still using http://www.mexconnect.com/forums/ I do link to the first unread post. I did nothing. Oh and as I write this in Basic Editor format I am at http://www.mexconnect.com/...in/forums/gforum.cgi

Keep up the great work you guys

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4