Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Eldeora

Jun 25, 2002, 10:08 AM

Post #1 of 3 (11365 views)

Shortcut

"contra" concrete repairs

Can't Post |
I was talking with my alvanil about doing some repairs to areas of concrete
that have fallen away and the rusted rebar is showing. House is right on the rocks so lots of salt air corrosion plus earthquakes. I had thought to wire brush the rusted rebar, prime then patch with standard cement mix. He that the best way to do it is to use ocean sand and salt water in the mix, which is "contra" to how you do new construction. First time I've heard this and was kind of suprised, but he is an experienced guy (25 years in the trade) who does nice work.
Any one else ever heard this, and know the reason why it would work?

Carl Carlson

Jun 25, 2002, 12:58 PM

Post #2 of 3 (11363 views)

Shortcut

"contra" concrete repairs

Can't Post |
In Miami Beach some older hotels have problems with corrosion of re-bar because they were built with beach sand. I wouldn't use salt in any form myself.<p>Carl Carlson

Esteban

Jun 25, 2002, 1:40 PM

Post #3 of 3 (11364 views)

Shortcut

&quot;contra&quot; concrete repairs

Can't Post |
That sounds absolutely insane. If anything, you should be using anti salitre to draw out any salt that is still on the surface. Also, you should be using not just a standard cement mix. You should be using a concrete adhesive mix to allow the new concrete to bond with the old. Maybe you are misunderstanding what he is saying? anti salitre sounds a lot like words with sal. Also, beach sand has a different shape than river sand. The sand particles are rounder and make a much lower quality, in terms of strength, form of cement.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4