Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Brian

Feb 22, 2009, 5:26 AM

Post #1 of 3 (4788 views)

Shortcut

"All I know is what I read in the newspapers"

Can't Post | Private Reply

I found the juxtaposition of these articles laughable but couldn't because it is so tragic.

Today's Mexico City News has two headline stories right next to each other. The first is titled " U.S. alert no help for Mexican tourism" The article concludes with the remark that "The alerts are a poke in Mexico's eye." The reader is then directed to the next piece which is titled "Attack wounds 5 in Zihuatanejo" That piece describes a grenade attack in the popular tourist destination Zihuatanejo which wounded one police officer and four civilians. The article goes on to read "Grenade attacks have become a fixture in the nation's brutal cartel-related violence."

The Travel Alerts are frequently derided by Mexicophiles as being scaremongering with the intention of killing tourism but I find that stories such as the second one, which emanates from the Mexican press, have much more impact in this regard.

TlxcalaClaudia

Feb 22, 2009, 7:09 AM

Post #2 of 3 (4773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] "All I know is what I read in the newspapers"

THanks for sharing. I agree.

alex .

Feb 22, 2009, 8:11 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] "All I know is what I read in the newspapers"

One reeeealy doesn't want to read the local Spanish language papers then. They are fond of calling out details such as the caliber used.....the 38 Super seems to be a favorite. I got mine, yea, in certain social circles I'm instant macho hombre with this baby:
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Feb 22, 2009, 8:28 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4